Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• Options
     FT Carlisle 2-2 Stevenage..Gutting for Carlisle equaliser for Stevenage last kick of the game
    Can no longer finish bottom.  
  • Options
    Great win for PV, dragging Burton into the relegation mix. It looks like 6 teams fighting to avoid the bottom 4 now
  • Options
    Lets face it we have the top marksman and a reasonably fit squad, unbeaten in 8 and showing some form so the only way is up 
    Is that you Nathan? 🤣
    No, but I have been watching the games since he took over ☄️
  • Options
    edited March 24

• Options
    Hadn’t realised almost everyone below us picked up points yesterday. Makes that fortunate late equaliser we got look quite important. And shows we’re not quite home and hosed yet. Need to pick up that one more win soon, and ideally avoid defeat vs Cambridge too.

I do worry a bit that our performances have been getting a bit worse each week since Northampton away. Not to the extent that I’m worried about relegation again, at least not yet, but I wouldn’t totally rule out us getting sucked back into a bit again. 
  • Options
    Looking at the fixtures we have left, I think NJ will be disappointed if we don't finish top half, after watching the Exeter game, I feel we have a way of pulling out results from the depth of defeat which would have been a given pre NJ's arrival...looking forward to next season already...
  • Options
    Top half would be amazing. Highest we could realistically finish is 11th, but that would mean getting at least another 7 points, and probably more like 11 or 12, even if you are an optimist. 

In reality I think finishing any higher than we are would be good going. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think this team with Nathan Jones at the helm has proven that they can handle the better teams. Look at the Bolton, Portsmouth and Derby games. 
  • Options
    50 points is the most anybody has got relegated in the past 30 years. The average is 48. With our goal difference we need 1 win to be safe, unless a new record is made.
  • Options
    Burton also have to play Cheltenham so obviously a game where 1 or both will drop more points.
    2 of Port Vale's remaining games are away to Peterborough and Bolton so i can't see them getting much there.
  • Options
    Five left to play and realistically you’re looking at three teams - two of them need to get above us for us to be in trouble.

Burton 7 behind (no games in hand)
    Port Vale 8 behind (one game in hand)
    Cheltenham 9 behind (two games in hand)

Really do think we’re fine now. One more win would be lovely for comfort’s sake.
    I cant see those 3 winning enough games to go above us. Not all 3 anyway. 

However, I can see us losing to Barnsley & only getting a point against Wigan....so going into the Cambridge game still looking over our shoulder. 

Just so grateful we beat Cheltenham last month because the way we are looking at the moment getting to 50 points is looking a struggle. 
  • Options
    Barnsley look certs to make the playoffs but I was pleased they won today as two defeats on the trot would have them fired up for Saturday. They lost at home to Cambridge, and only drew at home with Cheltenham before that so there is definitely some complancy there so I hope (more in expectation) that we have a go at them. As for Wigan they are just poodling along with very up and down scores so again, have a go.

However, as we've seen so far Nathan is clearly setting up not to lose each game so I don't think the words flair and attack will appear in the same sentence alongside the name Charlton in the remaining games.  
  • Options
    Barnsley look certs to make the playoffs but I was pleased they won today as two defeats on the trot would have them fired up for Saturday. They lost at home to Cambridge, and only drew at home with Cheltenham before that so there is definitely some complancy there so I hope (more in expectation) that we have a go at them. As for Wigan they are just poodling along with very up and down scores so again, have a go.

However, as we've seen so far Nathan is clearly setting up not to lose each game so I don't think the words flair and attack will appear in the same sentence alongside the name Charlton in the remaining games.  
    I don't think he has any other option at the moment. That needs to change during the summer window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton Athletic
    411017145859-147
    Shrewsbury Town
    41137213056-2646
    Reading
    41149185862-445
    Cambridge United
    40129193756-1945
    Burton Albion
    411010213355-2240

Port Vale

Cheltenham Town
    39108213353-2038
    Fleetwood Town
    41713214267-2534
    Carlisle United
    4169263973-3427

We're fine. 

Two out of Burton, Port Vale and Cheltenham are going down. 
  • Options
    Best bookmaker odds according to Oddschecker…

Fleetwood 1/25
    Port Vale 1/2
    Burton 4/6
    Cheltenham 6/4
    Reading 7/1
    Shrewsbury 9/1
    Cambridge 9/1
    Charlton 100/1
  • Options
    Don’t think Burton have spent a day in the relegation zone this season. So it’s 2 from Cheltenham, Port Vale or Burton for relegation then.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    we could lose every game from here (we won't) and we'd still be ok
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Absolutely no way are we going down … ridiculous to even consider it 
    47.9 is the average points total needed to stay up. There have been 20+ teams relegated with 47+ points. There has never been a team relegated with 52 points.

https://www.thestatszone.com/football/how-many-points-are-needed-for-league-1-survival