Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• Options
    50 points.

With none of the bottom 4 winning I think we can say that we are safe. 
    Yes. I’ve felt we were safe 2 or 3 games ago, but now I think relegation is so unlikely as to be disregarded.

Of the bottom 5, Fleetwood and Carlisle now can’t catch us and the maximum points for Cheltenham, Port Vale and Burton if they all won all their remaining games is 56, 55 and 52 respectively. Our goal difference is 20 goals better than all of them and we’re on 50.

Absolutely no chance.
    Burton and Cheltenham can't both win all of their remaining games - its impossible because they still have to play one another. 

I stand by what I said a few weeks ago, I think 46 points is enough this year. Glad we made it to 50 with time to spare though
  • Options
    50 points.

Yes. I’ve felt we were safe 2 or 3 games ago, but now I think relegation is so unlikely as to be disregarded.

Of the bottom 5, Fleetwood and Carlisle now can’t catch us and the maximum points for Cheltenham, Port Vale and Burton if they all won all their remaining games is 56, 55 and 52 respectively. Our goal difference is 20 goals better than all of them and we’re on 50.

Absolutely no chance.
    Burton and Cheltenham can't both win all of their remaining games - its impossible because they still have to play one another. 

I stand by what I said a few weeks ago, I think 46 points is enough this year. Glad we made it to 50 with time to spare though
    Good catch… So it’d be 56, 55, 49 or 55, 55, 53 or 55, 54, 53.
  • Options
    50 points.

Absolutely no chance.

Correcting myself… It’d be (in CTFC, PVFC, BAFC order)

- 56, 55, 49 if Cheltenham won or
    - 54, 55, 50 if that game is drawn or
    - 53, 55, 52 if Burton won

So mathematically the Burton win would be the best option, bringing the minimum target for safety down to 54 points (or 53 with superior goal difference) from 56 points (or 55 with superior goal difference).
  • Options
    50 points.

Absolutely no chance.

Correcting myself… It’d be (in CTFC, PVFC, BAFC order)

- 56, 55, 49 if Cheltenham won or
    - 54, 55, 50 if that game is drawn or
    - 53, 55, 52 if Burton won

So mathematically the Burton win would be the best option, bringing the minimum target for safety down to 54 points (or 53 with superior goal difference) from 56 points (or 55 with superior goal difference).
    Even if Burton and Cheltenham were to overtake us, you would still need at least three of Reading, Shrewsbury, Cambridge and Port Vale to ALSO overtake us to push us into the bottom 4.  Extremely unlikely
  • Options
    I've been of a more nervous disposition than many concerning fears of relegation, but there is no right or wrong outlook as we don't all see things the same way. However, after Barnsley, even I'm no longer worried 🙂
  • Options
    Not been to any of Cheltenham, Burton.or Vale grounds and would ear mark them for next season so hopefully Cambridge, Shrews or Reading can fall back!
    I’m hoping Cheltenham stay up because it’s the nearest ground to where I live. Nice club too.
    Not sure why, but always thought you were over Romford way @lordromford
  • Options
    Cheltenham play Carlisle in a must win game tonight, while Fleetwood need to win at their neighbours Blackpool to have any small chance of survival.
  • Options
    I’d like Cheltenham to stay up, because it would be a superb comeback after the start they had. 
  • Options
    Win tonight Carlisle win we stay up
  • Options
    edited April 10
    Port Vale away at Peterborough tonight. PV still have five games left but I’d be shocked if they got a result tonight.

After Cheltenham lost last night, they can now get a maximum of 53 points. Burton can get a maximum of 52 points. 

But both of them can’t get those totals together since they have to play each other. So it’d be 53 and 49 max if Cheltenham won, 50 and 52 if Burton won and 51 and 50 if they drew.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Posh 1 Port Vale 0. Present score
  • Options
    Posh 2-0 - 56 minutes
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Posh 2-0 - 56 minutes
    PV back in the bottom 4 on GD
  • Options
    If Cheltenham fail to win on Sat we are mathematically safe even if we lose all our remaining games (bar an unlikely swing of 23 goals for Cheltenham and them winning all their remaining games).

• Options
    edited April 10
    We need a draw then Burton and port Vale can’t catch us .26/28 goal difference better
  • Options
    Posh could still catch Derby, and they still have Fleetwood and Cheltenham to play.
  • Options
    Almost there 
  • Options
    Port Vale away at Peterborough tonight. PV still have five games left but I’d be shocked if they got a result tonight.

After Cheltenham lost last night, they can now get a maximum of 53 points. Burton can get a maximum of 52 points. 

But both of them can’t get those totals together since they have to play each other. So it’d be 53 and 49 max if Cheltenham won, 50 and 52 if Burton won and 51 and 50 if they drew.
    After Port Vale's defeat tonight, we have maximum tallies of the following:

- Cheltenham (53)
    - Burton (52)
    - Port Vale (52)

Port Vale's fixtures: Exeter (H), Wycombe (H), Bolton (A), Cambridge (H)
    Burton's fixtures: Stevenage (A), Cheltenham (H), Reading (H), Fleetwood (A)
    Cheltenham's fixtures: Bristol R (H), Burton (A), Lincoln (H), Peterborough (H), Stevenage (A)
  • Options

After Port Vale's defeat tonight, we have maximum tallies of the following:

- Cheltenham (53)
    - Burton (52)
    - Port Vale (52)

Port Vale's fixtures: Exeter (H), Wycombe (H), Bolton (A), Cambridge (H)
    Burton's fixtures: Stevenage (A), Cheltenham (H), Reading (H), Fleetwood (A)
    Cheltenham's fixtures: Bristol R (H), Burton (A), Lincoln (H), Peterborough (H), Stevenage (A)
    So if any of those 3 fail to win on Saturday they can’t catch us even if we lose. If we win, we are safe no matter what any of these do.
  • Options
    Reading
    431510186163-249
    Shrewsbury Town
    42137223159-2846
    Cambridge United
    41129203757-2045
    Burton Albion
    421010223359-2640

Port Vale

Cheltenham Town
    41108233457-2338
    Fleetwood Town
    42713224268-2634
    Carlisle United
    4379274075-3530

Cheltenham Town v Bristol Rovers
    Fleetwood Town v Northampton Town
    Port Vale v Exeter City
    Stevenage v Burton Albion
    Charlton Athletic v Cambridge United
    Shrewsbury Town v Wycombe Wanders

Think really today it's all about the Port Vale, Cheltenham and Burton games. 

Can't see Cambridge or Shrewsbury getting caught up in the fight now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Port Vale and Cheltenham lose. Burton win. A big step forward for Burton.

Cheltenham can still catch Burton but they must beat them in midweek.
  • Options
    Think we can sink this thread now bottom four are gone. 
  • Options
    Think we can sink this thread now bottom four are gone. 
    Port Vale will still be hopeful of climbing out of it…

But if Burton beat Cheltenham in midweek, I think you’re right.
  • Options
    Fleets last 3 - Peterboro, Orient, Burton - basically have to win all 3 and even then relying on others - think they're toast

Chelts last 4 - Burton, Lincoln, Peterboro, Stevenage - HAVE to beat Burton, but even then I would still make them massive underdogs because they need 2 wins minimum (3 if they don't beat Burton) - think they are toast as well.

Vale last 3; Wycombe, Bolton, Cambridge - GD a bit against them and I think they would need to pick up 2 wins minimum - i'd say they have the bigger chance but ironically they NEED Chelts to beat Burton, even a draw probably hurts them because of the GD.

Burton - well we know 2 games the other is against Reading - they just have to not get beat by Chelts in my estimation. 

Based on all that i'm revising down my predicted points total to be safe to 44.
  • Options
    edited April 13
    Charlton Athletic
    Reading
    441511186365-250
    Cambridge United
    421210203858-2046
    Shrewsbury Town
    43137233161-3046
    Burton Albion
    431110223560-2543

Port Vale

Cheltenham Town
    42108243560-2538
    Fleetwood Town
    43813224468-2437
    Carlisle United
    4479284076-3630

Wouldn't say it's over just yet...

A Burton win midweek though would make things pretty much done and dusted. 
  • Options
    That second half collapse will have killed Vale's confidence. 2-0 up until the 57th minute, then going on to lose 4-2. What an awful result.
  • Options
    Fleetwood could go down tonight. Up against Peterborough looking for a reaction after getting thumped at the weekend. 

Fleetwood in front after 17 seconds!
  • Options
    Fleetwood could go down tonight. Up against Peterborough looking for a reaction after getting thumped at the weekend. 

Fleetwood in front after 17 seconds!
    Oh Lord. Please let Fleetwood go down so we don't have to watch us play up there again.
  • Options
    Wycombe in front at Port Vale