Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Overground - new line names revealed.

I'm amazed that there is no discussion on what purports to be a railway enthusiasts forum.

Anyway - new names for London Overground train lines.

'The Lioness line, which runs through Wembley, honours the historic achievements and lasting legacy created by the England women's football team that continues to inspire and empower the next generation of women and girls in sport. It will be yellow parallel lines on the map.'

The Mildmay line: Stratford to Richmond/Clapham Junction

'The Mildmay line, which runs through Dalston, honours the small charitable hospital in Shoreditch that has cared for Londoners over many years, notably its pivotal role in the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1980s, which made it the valued and respected place it is for the LGBTQ+ community today. It will be blue parallel lines on the map.'

The Windrush line: Highbury & Islington to Clapham Junction/New Cross/Crystal Palace/West Croydon

'The Windrush line runs through areas with strong ties to Caribbean communities today, such as Dalston Junction, Peckham Rye and West Croydon and honours the Windrush generation who continue to shape and enrich London's cultural and social identity today. It will be red parallel lines on the map.'

The Weaver line: Liverpool Street to Cheshunt/Enfield Town/Chingford

'The Weaver line runs through Liverpool Street, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green and Hackney - areas of London known for their textile trade, shaped over the centuries by diverse migrant communities and individuals. It will be maroon parallel lines on the map.'

The Suffragette line: Gospel Oak to Barking Riverside

'The Suffragette line celebrates how the working-class movement in the East End, fought for votes for woman and paved the way for women's rights. The line runs to Barking, home of the longest surviving Suffragette Annie Huggett, who died at 103. It will be green parallel lines on the map.'

The Liberty line: Romford to Upminster

'The Liberty line celebrates the freedom that is a defining feature of London and references the historical independence of the people of Havering, through which it runs. It will be grey parallel lines on the map.'

Comments

• Options
    If you want a comment. Then the name changes not helpfull. Even Elizabeth and Jubilee have the same problem. They give no idea where the line runs and if that is aroute that might be useful. It took me quite a while to remember the areas covered by the jubilee when first open. The same with the Elizabeth line. For example central line or circle line mean some thing give some idea of what they do.
  • Options
    edited February 15
    msomerton said:
    If you want a comment. Then the name changes not helpfull. Even Elizabeth and Jubilee have the same problem. They give no idea where the line runs and if that is aroute that might be useful. It took me quite a while to remember the areas covered by the jubilee when first open. The same with the Elizabeth line. For example central line or circle line mean some thing give some idea of what they do.
    Of course I want a comment - that's why I posted it...it's the nature of forums.

Why is The Circle line more geographically descriptive than The Windrush Line? Neither mention a place and "the circle" could be anywhere. 
  • Options
    edited February 15
    msomerton said:
    What shortish, easy to recall names would you suggest? Bearing in mind we have a Northern Line that starts in Merton...
  • Options
    Don’t see a problem with them. 
  • Options
    Ģood examples are railway companies names. Greater Anglia, Chiltern line, East Midland etc . They give you a good idea what areas of the country they go to. Why can we not have some thing similar for London.
  • Options
    Makes sense to give the lines different names and colours as calling them all the overground could confuse people.

Pretty obvious why they've turned the comments off on their social media posts on it. I would've given them numbers or letters due to how easily offended people are in this day and age.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Ģood examples are railway companies names. Greater Anglia, Chiltern line, East Midland etc . They give you a good idea what areas of the country they go to. Why can we not have some thing similar for London.
    Picadilly, Northern, Victoria, District... You are very selective with your London examples.

I ask again, what do you suggest that would be specific and easy to recall? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Makes sense to give the lines different names and colours as calling them all the overground could confuse people.

Pretty obvious why they've turned the comments off on their social media posts on it. I would've given them numbers or letters due to how easily offended people are in this day and age.
    Then some people would have been offended that we didn't continue the tradition of giving the lines names instead of numbers...  :D
  • Options
    Like the sound of the Windrush and Weaver Lines...

The Liberty Line... Sounds like it would be better off being in New York
  • Options
    Like the sound of the Windrush and Weaver Lines...

The Liberty Line... Sounds like it would be better off being in New York

Liberty line is the only one I really have issue with because as you say it could be absolutely anywhere even with the explanation from TfL 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    What shortish, easy to recall names would you suggest? Bearing in mind we have a Northern Line that starts in Merton...
    and then terminates in north London .. does the Elizabeth Line terminate at Buckingham Palace ? :*
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Most Tube lines cross multiple areas of London though? Even the Northern line is pretty misleading given that it covers south, central and north London. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    and then terminates in north London .. does the Elizabeth Line terminate at Buckingham Palace ? :*
    I fear you are playing devil's adovcaat young Lincs... I shall not bite.  ;):#
  • Options
    edited February 15
    msomerton said:
    I fear you are playing devil's adovcaat young Lincs... I shall not bite.  ;):#
    many thanks for the 'young' lol
  • Options
    Until recent years, to South East Londoners a lot of these lines were kind of another country.
    Yes there was the Elephant, and the dangly bit going to New Cross and New Cross Gate, but for us it was all about overground, still is to a large extent. The Jubilee line touching a couple of places altered things a bit, and the DLR came in as quite a game changer, and now the Elizabeth line deigns to give us a couple of stops.
    So the colours and name changes have less impact in South East London.
    However if the map is good at highlighting merging points, like Lewisham overground with the DLR, or Woolwich Arsenal with the Elizabeth Line it will be great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But the circle line isn't even a circle?

We have too many lines, most places with loads of lines have them numbered or lettered and it just works better.

You don't see a line running from Coney Island to Jamaica 179st in New York called the Jamaiconey line for instance, or the Flushing Meadows to Hudson Yards line called the Tennis line

Similarly in Paris you don't have the 5 line (running from Place D'Italie to Bobigny Pablo Picasso) called the Artiste line, or the 2 lines running through Arc De Triomphe to Nation, one to the north of the city and one to the South called the Ying and Yang lines or some such nonsense 
  • Options
    £6.3 Million well spent (hahahaha) .. Sadiq Khan and his phoney crew are an absolute waste of space .. more P C tosh ..
    Lioness Line through Wembley ? .. I suggest the Clive Mendonca Line or the Bobby Moore Line
    What a complete waste of money and time thinking this one up. 
    Nothing better else to do no doubt?

How about The Dartford loop you .
  • Options
    £6.3m isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, far more is spent repairing traffic lights.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    Of course I want a comment - that's why I posted it...it's the nature of forums.

Why is The Circle line more geographically descriptive than The Windrush Line? Neither mention a place and "the circle" could be anywhere. 
    Because it tell you what it does. It circles central london.
    But the name doesn't tell you it circles Central London. It tells you it is possibly in the shape of a circle. It's no more descriptive in terms of the destinations it serves than the Windrush is in describing where it goes. 
  • Options
    It's not the renaming that's the problem. It's spending over £6 million to do it. 
    70p each.