Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Overground - new line names revealed.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 16
    Great thread, classic CL.

Fwiw I didn't realise there was a London Overground until about 15 years ago, when I discovered you could go to Alexander Palace on the overground, rather only Wood Green on the underground.

It's definitely a good idea to have the underground, overground and DLR all on the same map.

So that you can womble free, presumably.

• Options
    edited February 17
    seth plum said:
    There has always been a London overground service. I am pretty sure you could get overground trains from West Hampstead when I was a student to places like the station next to Tottenham Hotspur and other places like Bethnal Green.
    Good point. 
    Spurs nearest stations are White Hart Lane or Bruce Grove on the overground & my dad took me there late 60's.
    W Hart Lane train station is also an option, but not really an easy choice from South/S E London
  • Options
    What's wrong with the traditional names?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Nothing. What's wrong with new names?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    LenGlover said:
    They are based almost wholly on identity politics.

some think that’s good.

Others think that is divisive.

so not every will think they are good, and not everyone will think they are bad.

and I think that somewhat proves the point.
  • Options
    edited February 16
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    LenGlover said:

some think that’s good.

so not every will think they are good, and not everyone will think they are bad.

In a way that Bakerloo, Elizabeth, Jubilee, Victoria and Waterloo & City aren't? 
    Correct.
    You obviously know the origins behind the names that Stig reminds us of ? If you do then your previous assertion is completely redundant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    LenGlover said:

some think that’s good.

In a way that Bakerloo, Elizabeth, Jubilee, Victoria and Waterloo & City aren't? 
    Correct.
    You obviously know the origins behind the names that Stig reminds us of ? If you do then your previous assertion is completely redundant.
    Only if you don’t understand the concept of identity politics…
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    LenGlover said:

some think that’s good.

Correct.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Great game of Politics Only Poster (POP) Bingo. Think I've got a full house!
    Absolutely fucking tedious, isn't it.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Gribbo said:
    Great game of Politics Only Poster (POP) Bingo. Think I've got a full house!
    Absolutely fucking tedious, isn't it.
    Just a tad
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    LenGlover said:

some think that’s good.

Correct.
    Only if you don’t understand the concept of identity politics…
    You’re arguing against yourself
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    LenGlover said:

some think that’s good.

Correct.
    The names of the tube lines referenced aren’t based on the concept of identity politics, a political concept which has its origins in the 1970’s i.e. after the tube lines referenced were named.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    LenGlover said:

some think that’s good.

Correct.
    The names of the tube lines referenced aren’t based on the concept of identity politics, a political concept which has its origins in the 1970’s i.e. after the tube lines referenced were named.
    Yes. The names aren't based on identity politics but historic events.
  • Options
    edited February 17
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Thing is, these lines arent new and most of them had pretty good names already before they all got lumped together under the "Overground" heading.

For example, the North London Line, the East London Line or the Lea Valley Line all sound alright to me. At least the name gives you a good idea of where they are.

Good point that offy.

So, fifteen years ago, someone rebranded all those lines into "London Overground". As this current rebranding is apparently all Khan's fault, I can't help wondering whose fault it was in 2009? Who might have been mayor at the time, anyone have any idea? 

Regarding how threads get de-railed, next time you are chatting with mates in the pub, make sure you stick to one topic at a time, and then agree to stop talking about that and start talking about something else. It's unnatural for conversations to evolve, after all...         
    Not quite the same is it, because on here there are different "conversations" on different topics going on simultaneously and you can choose which subjects you contribute to, then move onto another and then come back.

What happens when a thread gets derailed, to put it in a pub context, is often the equivalent of you having a discussion at the bar about a particular subject and some random person walks over, stands in the middle of your group and shouts "Fish, fish! Look at me, I want to talk about fish! Fishy fishy fish fish!"
    But that isn't what happened in this case, it started with train lines, moved on to the cost, moved on to Khan (at which point the handwringers could have started shouting, but didn't), moved on to voting out Khan, moved on to people not being able to vote because of Tory gerrymandering. Natural progression...    
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Thing is, these lines arent new and most of them had pretty good names already before they all got lumped together under the "Overground" heading.

For example, the North London Line, the East London Line or the Lea Valley Line all sound alright to me. At least the name gives you a good idea of where they are.

Good point that offy.

So, fifteen years ago, someone rebranded all those lines into "London Overground". As this current rebranding is apparently all Khan's fault, I can't help wondering whose fault it was in 2009? Who might have been mayor at the time, anyone have any idea? 

Regarding how threads get de-railed, next time you are chatting with mates in the pub, make sure you stick to one topic at a time, and then agree to stop talking about that and start talking about something else. It's unnatural for conversations to evolve, after all...         
    Not quite the same is it, because on here there are different "conversations" on different topics going on simultaneously and you can choose which subjects you contribute to, then move onto another and then come back.

What happens when a thread gets derailed, to put it in a pub context, is often the equivalent of you having a discussion at the bar about a particular subject and some random person walks over, stands in the middle of your group and shouts "Fish, fish! Look at me, I want to talk about fish! Fishy fishy fish fish!"
    But that isn't what happened in this case, it started with train lines, moved on to the cost, moved on to Khan (at which point the handwringers could have started shouting, but didn't), moved on to voting out Khan, moved on to people not being able to vote because of Tory gerrymandering. Natural progression...    
    Christ, it must be so fucking tiresome living in your world where you keep having to fight the good fight and put people straight on things on a daily basis.

Seriously mate, you need to have a word with yourself. Tory this, Khan that, handwringing, gerrymandering, ..... you sound like you're on a crusade and are one of the main culprits for making everything a political statement on here. It's boring. Its draining. Its tedious.
    Clever post Dave, if I defend myself you are going to say "There you go again".

Lincs politicised this thread, not me. 

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Good point that offy.

Christ, it must be so fucking tiresome living in your world where you keep having to fight the good fight and put people straight on things on a daily basis.

Seriously mate, you need to have a word with yourself. Tory this, Khan that, handwringing, gerrymandering, ..... you sound like you're on a crusade and are one of the main culprits for making everything a political statement on here. It's boring. Its draining. Its tedious.

I'm not trying to be clever. And I dont care who started it. I have no political dog in the fight and therefore am just saying it as I see it. 

I've "picked" on you on this occasion as we have met and therefore hopefully I wont be accused of internet bullying again. But you're not alone. I think the majority on here find the constant political point scoring on here tedious, although I do appreciate that this thread is naturally more political than others.

Genuinely no malice intended,  Perry. All the best, comrade! ;-)
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Good point that offy.

I'm not trying to be clever. And I dont care who started it. I have no political dog in the fight and therefore am just saying it as I see it. 

I've "picked" on you on this occasion as we have met and therefore hopefully I wont be accused of internet bullying again. But you're not alone. I think the majority on here find the constant political point scoring on here tedious, although I do appreciate that this thread is naturally more political than others.

Cheers Dave, appreciate it. Your post did prompt me to have a look at myself. I looked back as far as November at my posts, not once have I been the one who turned a normal thread political or started a thread with the potential to be political, just for the record like... 

Power to the people.  ;)  
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Good point that offy.

Cheers Dave, appreciate it. Your post did prompt me to have a look at myself. I looked back as far as November at my posts, not once have I been the one who turned a normal thread political or started a thread with the potential to be political, just for the record like... 

Power to the people.  ;)  
    Ignoring the political posts on photos only no discussion of course  :)
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Good point that offy.

Power to the people.  ;)  
    Ignoring the political posts on photos only no discussion of course  :)
    True, I only post the same number as others do now though. When they stop, so will I.