Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Overground - new line names revealed.

Comments

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Like the sound of the Windrush and Weaver Lines...

The Liberty Line... Sounds like it would be better off being in New York

Liberty line is the only one I really have issue with because as you say it could be absolutely anywhere even with the explanation from TfL 
    As someone who lives in Borough of Havering I can only say WTF !!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Liberty line is the only one I really have issue with because as you say it could be absolutely anywhere even with the explanation from TfL 
    Although the main shopping centre in Romford is The Liberty Centre

• Options
    The Mildmay Line is a daft one, whatever you think of the general scheme.  It doesn't serve the Mildmay Hospital, after which it is apparently named (but two of the other lines DO serve it).  The next time someone is late for an appointment there you can thank TfL...

Back in more logical times they gave the name 'Mudchute' to one of the DLR stations on the Isle of Dogs, because they realised that the original name (Millwall Park) would result in confused out-of-towners turning up expecting to find the Toolbox there
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MarcusH26 said:

and pub - The Liberty Bell

maybe there is something in the name then ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MarcusH26 said:

and pub - The Liberty Bell

maybe there is something in the name then ?
    Havering is a Royal Liberty. 
  • Options
    Dont know why the couldnt keep the generic Overground name, but just had the relevant sections in the colours they have just introduced
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dont know why the couldnt keep the generic Overground name, but just had the relevant sections in the colours they have just introduced
    You'd prefer there were one "overground" line, in six different colours? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thinking about the overground. The simplest solution would to name thus, Crystal Palace and Highbury line, Highbury and West Croyden, Clampham jnc and Dalston jnc etc. 
  • Options
    Surprised to see one of them named after Jackie Weaver
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Surprised to see one of them named after Jackie Weaver
    I thought it was Nicky Weaver
  • Options
    It's not the renaming that's the problem. It's spending over £6 million to do it. 
    Once you’ve decided it’s a good and necessary thing to do then as sure as night follows day there is a cost involved. The amount of new signage, maps and information required will require a big spend. 
  • Options
    Give it a month and he will be begging the government for more money.
  • Options
    edited February 15
    Oh, boy, some so called Anti-"woke" warrior snowflakes just want something to be offended/upset about and boy do they love having a moan about nothing.   Almost as if we weren't in a recession.

Giving the lines names makes perfect sense, the names are just names, don't really any objection to any of them.  Liberty is a bit weak but it's just a name and there's nothing to get offended by unless that it what you always do whenever something new comes along.

The no descriptive line falls down with Jubilee, Elizabeth, District and Circle anyway.  Bakerloo line doesn't start of end at either Baker St or Waterloo anymore.   Piccadilly line does go through Piccadilly but otherwise it's not very descriptive. 
    they could could name one after you .. The Arrogant Bullshitter Line .. boy oh boy hahahahahah
  • Options
    edited February 15
    R0TW said:
    Working for LU, I can see first hand that £6.3 million could have been better spent on station maintenance.
    Then again, he his always blowing his trumpet about two thirds of the underground being step free, when two thirds are above ground.
    How about a few more lifts?
    No, a name change should be a crowd pleaser, except if you have mobility issues.
    Just don't get how he can spunk this sort of dough without consultation.
    15% of the amount Michelle Mone alone was given by the government. Without consultation.   
  • Options
    Now that TfL have taken over London Overground station maintenance, they could have used that money to bring them up to current standards.
    They are not very welcoming places to be at night.
    Should be now that rival gangs don't lose their bearings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's not the renaming that's the problem. It's spending over £6 million to do it. 
    Once you’ve decided it’s a good and necessary thing to do then as sure as night follows day there is a cost involved. The amount of new signage, maps and information required will require a big spend. 
    The 6m is probably just the consultant fees for the renaming. 

The signage etc will probably be a different cost altogether
  • Options
    £6.3 Million properly allocated could pay salaries for (say) 200 nurses, perhaps 150 junior doctors, 200 school teachers etc etc .. anyone who says that £6.3 Million is NOT A LOT OF MONEY is an illiterate idiot
  • Options
    edited February 15
    R0TW said:
    Working for LU, I can see first hand that £6.3 million could have been better spent on station maintenance.
    Then again, he his always blowing his trumpet about two thirds of the underground being step free, when two thirds are above ground.
    How about a few more lifts?
    No, a name change should be a crowd pleaser, except if you have mobility issues.
    Just don't get how he can spunk this sort of dough without consultation.
    Have yet to speak to anyone who thinks it was a good idea and/or needed at all. This is purely coming from a TfL perspective and has nothing to do with the Mayor. It's just a fundamentally stupid thing for anyone to have done.

SFA, as you rightly point out, hasn't gone far enough.. The SSL side of things isn't known much outside of the industry so a lot of people won't pick up on it.

At least the pay deal has finally been agreed. Show me the money!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 15
    Makes sense to give the lines different names and colours as calling them all the overground could confuse people.

Pretty obvious why they've turned the comments off on their social media posts on it. I would've given them numbers or letters due to how easily offended people are in this day and age.
    The amount of tourists you see get on a train and then panic when they start reading a map onboard for an entirely separate line to the one they're on 😂
  • Options
    edited February 15