Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD: Northampton Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

edited March 2 in General Charlton
@eastterrace6168 is indisposed so I am subbing in for him today. After a largely better than expected February, including a very unexpected win away at Derby last time out, the table is looking less ominous than we feared, especially thanks to Reading's additional 2 point deduction. However, given that was only our second away league win of the season, I'm not counting my chickens for today's trip to Northampton.

Charlton: Isted; Edmonds-Green, Thomas, Gillesphey; T.Watson, Coventry, Dobson, Anderson, Small; May, Kanu

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Asiimwe, Hector, Edun, Bakinson, Campbell, Ladapo

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Fancy May to score a couple today
  • Options

• Options
    No Chuks  :#
  • Options
    hermann said:
    No Chuks  :#

• Options
    No Aneke no party. 
  • Options
    Hmm, shows how quickly the squad can go from looking really dangerous to looking a little bit thin on game-changers. No Camara and Chuks worries me, I appreciate resting Chuks (assuming he's not hurt) but that bench looks pretty static if we need some inspiration. Ladapo and Campbell the only attacking options and I've no idea where Campbell fits in in Jones' system. I'm also a bit leery of Coventry and Dobson together but we'll see. People would probably take a draw after midweek but I'd really like a win here so I hope we go for it from the start, put a few goals away and then see the game out without panicking. We don't really do that so fingers crossed, either way we need to show we can get results without relying on Chuks so today is the day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jeez, Chuks missing isn't the end of the world. 

Good to see Dobbo back starting.
    But probably the end of 3 points. Settle for a draw now
  • Options
    hermann said:
    Phew:

"Chuks Aneke, like Camara, misses out on the squad with their minutes being managed."
    Saving them for Tuesday? 
    But there's no reason why Aneke in particular couldn't just sit on the bench today just in case we're in a winnable game with 10 mins to go. 
  • Options
    hermann said:
    Phew:

"Chuks Aneke, like Camara, misses out on the squad with their minutes being managed."
    🙏🏻🙏🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻This is a good idea if it means they stay fit for the rest of the season !! 

The bigger picture is important in our position
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jones dropped or injured?
    Still suspended
  • Options
    Where tf is Terry Taylor???
    Not fancied by NJ it looks like. There's too many midfielders at the club and he's a casualty of that.
  • Options
    hermann said:
    Phew:

Saving them for Tuesday? 
    But there's no reason why Aneke in particular couldn't just sit on the bench today just in case we're in a winnable game with 10 mins to go. 
    True, let's hope we can still win today. A win here sets us up nicely for the run against Cheltenham, Carlisle and Fleetwood and would take some pressure off them games 
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jeez, Chuks missing isn't the end of the world. 
    The stats on our season very much suggest otherwise, but we’ll have to try and manage anyway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jones dropped or injured?
    Two game ban wasn't it?
    Ah didn't realise he got his extra yellow. Just thought he was rested last time out 😞
  • Options
    hermann said:
    Phew:

Hopefully it's a case of prioritising the Cheltenham game
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Five changes between today and the team that played Northampton a few weeks ago.

• Isted in, AMB out
    • Thomas in, Jones out
    • Small in, Edun out
    • Anderson in, Bakinson out
    • Kanu in, Ladapo out

REG, Gillesphey, Watson, Dobson, Coventry and May start both games.
  • Options
    As per my thoughts on the match preview, I would take a point with the must win being Tuesday. And it seems NJ also thinks that - get Chuks, Camara and Jones back for that is the priority 
  • Options
    edited March 2
    gone for the midfield that I thought would be our strongest with Bakinson and Camara not proving reliable as of yet. 
  • Options
    I think under Nathan Jones we will see an increase in our own shithousery which is good, and he will send the players out to get into them and f*** them up, which is also good.
    Getting results is the only agenda item I hope.
  • Options
    Where tf is Terry Taylor???
    I did hear that we were unlikely to see him again this season in order to help him recover fully. We signed him injured, threw him in a couple of times and saw him pick up a minor then a major injury in his brief set of appearances. We've got about 8,000 centre mids at the moment so I think it' a sensible strategy to try and avoid a recurrence this season when he's not really needed. Especially given Taylor struggled to get up to speed for Holden's style of play and Jones demands ten times more from his players on hte pitch.
  • Options
    Five changes between today and the team that played Northampton a few weeks ago.

• Isted in, AMB out
    • Thomas in, Jones out
    • Small in, Edun out
    • Anderson in, Bakinson out
    • Kanu in, Ladapo out

REG, Gillesphey, Watson, Dobson, Coventry and May start both games.

Three changes for Northampton from that game: Burge, McGowan, Hoskins out and Moulden, Sherring, Hondermarck in.

• Options
    Interesting that Hector gets the spot on the subs bench and not Ness, particularly as Ness came on the other night and did OK..

• Options
    hermann said:
    Phew:

Saving them for Tuesday? 
    Much more important game imo. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!