Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Methven tells Palace and West Ham to “grow up” (over new EFL deal)

Comments

• Options
    My point is that he is a minor shareholder at a L1 club, at which he has no formal position, so it’s not clear he has much locus. It’s interesting therefore that he is speaking about this on a national radio station when the club has been through a crisis during which neither he nor anyone else in apparent authority has been willing to put their name to anything (IIRC). It’s a bit odd.
    Maybe his 'business plan' with the investors assumed an increased level of support from these central funds?
  • Options
    Remind me what he has had to say about the last four-six months at Charlton, as I must have missed it?
    Wi-Fi not great in Maldives, Seychelles or wherever our latest link with ‘academy’ or business partner is based.
  • Options
    edited March 12
    Gribbo said:
    My point is that he is a minor shareholder at a L1 club, at which has no formal position, so it’s not clear he has much locus. It’s interesting therefore that he is speaking about this on a national radio station when the club has been through a crisis during which neither he nor anyone else in apparent has been willing to put their name to anything (IIRC). It’s a bit odd.
    Rodwell, Elliott and the other bloke addressed certain things when answering fans questions (re' Scott / Appleton / shit sifings etc etc) in the interview with Charlotte. How much credence you give what they've said is another matter, but they did do that. With regards to CM, maybe he was just asked by TalkSport for his opinion on this subject as representative of the shareholders of a League 1 club, and he agreed to give it.

Or are we saying that there should be complete silence from him until such a time that certain members of the Charlton fanbase give their blessing?
    I missed anyone saying that? I’d have thought the situation at the club warranted more than a one-off in-house web stream though, or are the EPL funding arrangements the more immediate issue for Charlton fans, do you think? 

If you want to build a relationship with the fanbase you do it through a dialogue, not consultants. If you hold the public at arm’s length, don’t be surprised if people assume you’ve got something to hide. 
  • Options
    Charlie’s agenda is softening the losses his bosses make .. so he’s gonna be crowing 
    if he was in the premier league he’d be on palaces side of the fence , whatever fattens his goose 

palace fans have protested against the greedy premier league and their owner  , very honourable of them 

• Options
    edited March 12
    One of Fred Dinenage relatives is not impressed 

How!

Remember Fred being on Gambit with Michelle Lambourne

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68542248
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Methven is one of us, to be sung next week!?
    Everyone should turn up wearing salmon trousers 
  • Options
    My point is that he is a minor shareholder at a L1 club, at which he has no formal position, so it’s not clear he has much locus. It’s interesting therefore that he is speaking about this on a national radio station when the club has been through a crisis during which neither he nor anyone else in apparent authority has been willing to put their name to anything (IIRC). It’s a bit odd.
    Maybe his 'business plan' with the investors assumed an increased level of support from these central funds?
    I’m sure it did, but that was probably one of the more realistic assumptions.
  • Options
    Is this based on the mythical Texas prospectus ?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Some people on here won't warm to Charlie - at the start of things I wasn't a fan - but what he is saying here is right.  I liaise with Charlie every week at least and we've had frank and open discussions about players, managers and all sorts to do with the club and it is clear he does his research before talking.  I don't always agree but he is prepared to listen to my stance and that's something I don't think Thomas or Martin Sandgaard were capable of.  He wants this to work with us but he is also not oblivious to the financial difficulties of lots of other clubs.

I strongly urge you to listen to his podcast about footballing finances (amongst other stuff) and I challenge you to think the man is an idiot.  He speak very eruditely and doesn't pull any punches.  It's called "Where's the money gone" and its with Adrian Goldberg.  Relatively short episodes of about half an hour so ideal for a commute in my case
    Yes, the pod is a good one and well worth a listen. As is The Price of Football with Kevin Day (Palace fan) and Kieran Maguire (Brighton fan) who've also discussed the 'deal' on some of their pods.

If I remember rightly the sticking point is not necessarily the amount to be distributed it's that the smaller clubs want more of the EFL money to come from the bigger clubs who of course want it to be split evenly by all 20 clubs in the Prem and the bigger guys have managed to persuade some of the smaller guys to back their stance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was an interesting discussion about this on a very recent 'Price of Football' podcast. Kieran Maguire was saying that the impasse is not so much the total amount of money to go to the EFL but how that is to be funded by the Premier League clubs - i.e. some are resisting an even apportionment between the 20 clubs. Matt Slater, the very good journalist on 'The Athletic' has described the Premier League as "fractured"; whereas it used to be a case of the 'Big 6' v the other 14, there are now a number of different cabals.

There was also a suggestion on the podcast (and it was no more than that) that Sheffield United - who practically have both feet back in the EFL - have been voting the same way as Newcastle, given that they are now owned by a Saudi Prince.
  • Options
    Pretty sure it did. IIRC Rodwell said as much at Bromley Addicks
  • Options
    Personally i think the EFL should fight back on this and immediately expel the Palace and West Ham U21s from next seasons Bristol Street Motors trophy!
    Surely that's an award not a punishment  ?
  • Options
    edited March 12
    Is this based on the mythical Texas prospectus ?
    The one that revealed Lenegan’s involvement before he first appeared, you mean?

We know that Charlie can get the operating loss down to £1m-2m, because as he’s told us anyone with basic competence can do that. Looking forward to it.
    Provided the owners are prepared to stump up enough to make us competitive, and is there any indication that they won't,  does it matter if Methven tempted them with a fat juicy worm rate promise to get them hooked.
  • Options
    Scoop: UK signs-off legislation to establish an independent football regulator, after the Premier League failed to agree on a deal to share revenues with smaller clubs.

Bill likely to be introduced in Parliament as soon as this month

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-12/sunak-pushes-to-create-football-regulator-after-club-talks-fail?leadSource=reddit_wall
  • Options
    edited March 12
    Scoop: UK signs-off legislation to establish an independent football regulator, after the Premier League failed to agree on a deal to share revenues with smaller clubs.

Bill likely to be introduced in Parliament as soon as this month

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-12/sunak-pushes-to-create-football-regulator-after-club-talks-fail?leadSource=reddit_wall
    If true, West Ham and Crystal Palace may have ended up doing the EFL a favour by stalling the self-regulated proposals.
  • Options
    edited March 12
    You tell em purple pants!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, he’s said it, he’s right, and got traction for it, partly because he has a national profile, albeit, a pretty mixed one. Í’d say he’s deploying his PR skills effectively here, so credit where it’s due. I have the impression he’s otherwise kept a low profile because he knows - has admitted - he’s not effective at the operational side; that’s when the wheels come off. 

It’s definitely worth listening to The Price of Football to stay on top of this. Kieran Maguire was a close adviser of Tracey Crouch as she pushed the Fan Led Review through Parliament. I think @ShootersHillGuru you shouldn’t be too pessimistic because it is already amazing that it is happening at all under this government, and it is down to her. Don’t forget the Institute of Economic Affairs are dead against it but then they were behind Truss/Kwarteng, and so I think for now that whole "free market above all" schtick is out of favour even with this lot. Kieran Maguire pointed out that if you have a lot of FAPL clubs all owned by Americans there's a danger they can club together and vote through changes that most fans simply wouldn't stomach, and Sunak and co. may feel they just don't want that happening when they are pissing people off in so many other ways. 
  • Options
    If Rishi Sunak has thought about football once in his life I’ll be staggered. He doesn’t even pretend to support anyone as far as I know. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    If Rishi Sunak has thought about football once in his life I’ll be staggered. He doesn’t even pretend to support anyone as far as I know. 
    Not true.

He's talked about being a Southampton fan.
  • Options
    Apparently one of the clubs voting against was Bournemouth !!
  • Options
    edited March 12
    I'd imagine the reason "a minor shareholder at a L1 club, at which he has no formal position" has "much focus" on this matter is that CM was working with Damian Collins who "was the long-term chair of the DCMS Select Committee when the football regulator was under consideration" and was part of the idea about the regulatory body and the statement made about it originally. 

It's discussed here [Where's The Money Gone?] An Independent Football Regulator #wheresTheMoneyGone 
    https://podcastaddict.com/where-s-the-money-gone/episode/163559221 via @PodcastAddict

Here, where "Adrian and Charlie are joined by Niall Couper of Fair Game to discuss the proposed New Deal For Football, details of which have been leaked in the last few days.  If the plan goes ahead, overseas TV rights would be negotiated collectively for the first time since the Premier League was created in 1992.

EFL clubs will receive an £88 million bonus payment from the Premier League this season, and it's anticipated that 'solidarity payments' would double. One sticking point, though, is that Premier League clubs would retain parachute payments… "

[Where's The Money Gone?] "A New Deal For Football" #wheresTheMoneyGone 
    https://podcastaddict.com/where-s-the-money-gone/episode/164657435 via @PodcastAddict

And here, where "Where’s the Money Gone?" is a podcast about football finance, governance and politic with Adrian Goldberg (investigative journalist and West Brom season ticket holder). This week, their special guest is Damian Collins, the Manchester United supporting Conservative MP for Folkestone and Hythe. Man United fan Damian was the long-term chair of the DCMS Select Committee when the football regulator was under consideration and he called for it 4 years ago in a joint statement with Charlie. Adrian and Charlie want to know when is the Regulator coming?"

https://podcastaddict.com/where-s-the-money-gone/episode/172479862
  • Options
    'Their communications department has had to come back with some words that will pull the wool over enough people’s eyes and kick the can down the road'

PMSL. Brass bollocks Mr Comms, can i have my wool back please and when can the owners have their can back? 
  • Options
    for every action there is a reaction…

WHam and Palace’s strategy may have just totally backfired. More fool them, suggest they get in some strategy advising help.

Charlie was cogent in his arguments on TalkSPORT yesterday and hopefully that was backed up with lobbying etc. 👏👏
  • Options
    Always seems crazy that the non-top six, the non established clubs vote against this.

What do they think, that they'll all be in the Premier League until the ends of time?

Bet Palace and West Ham would very quickly change their tune if their fortunes suddenly changed, after all there always has to be three teams that drop out of the Premier League each season!!

As a result I don't get why they're against what could be a massive aid in the future.
    Totally agree. Unjustified hubris, no other sensible explanation.