Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Methven tells Palace and West Ham to “grow up” (over new EFL deal)

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    My point is that he is a minor shareholder at a L1 club, at which has no formal position, so it’s not clear he has much locus. It’s interesting therefore that he is speaking about this on a national radio station when the club has been through a crisis during which neither he nor anyone else in apparent has been willing to put their name to anything (IIRC). It’s a bit odd.
    Rodwell, Elliott and the other bloke addressed certain things when answering fans questions (re' Scott / Appleton / shit sifings etc etc) in the interview with Charlotte. How much credence you give what they've said is another matter, but they did do that. With regards to CM, maybe he was just asked by TalkSport for his opinion on this subject as representative of the shareholders of a League 1 club, and he agreed to give it.

Or are we saying that there should be complete silence from him until such a time that certain members of the Charlton fanbase give their blessing?
    I missed anyone saying that? I’d have thought the situation at the club warranted more than a one-off in-house web stream though, or are the EPL funding arrangements the more immediate issue for Charlton fans, do you think? 

If you want to build a relationship with the fanbase you do it through a dialogue, not consultants. If you hold the public at arm’s length, don’t be surprised if people assume you’ve got something to hide. 
    Be fair, you’re going to hold those suspicions no matter what happens. 
  • Options

Premier League and EFL: English football is finished without deal, says Peter Ridsdale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68551806
  • Options
    Further delays expected while MP's trawl through their contacts looking for mates/relatives that may know something about the sport and who fancies a go at being a a Football Regulator, obviously they'll be compensated for their time.  ;)
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Didn’t both Murray and Varney campaign similarly way back when, but the apparent selfishness of the Premier League stalwarts won out then too?
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Always seems crazy that the non-top six, the non established clubs vote against this.

What do they think, that they'll all be in the Premier League until the ends of time?

Bet Palace and West Ham would very quickly change their tune if their fortunes suddenly changed, after all there always has to be three teams that drop out of the Premier League each season!!

As a result I don't get why they're against what could be a massive aid in the future.
    I suspect the problem with understanding why some clubs have voted as they have is the assumption it is being done in the clubs long term interests whereas a PL structure where all the money goes to the PL clubs has to be more preferable for any owner who may need, or at least want, the option of selling their stake at the best price in the short term whilst the club is still in the PL
  • Options
    Always seems crazy that the non-top six, the non established clubs vote against this.

What do they think, that they'll all be in the Premier League until the ends of time?

Bet Palace and West Ham would very quickly change their tune if their fortunes suddenly changed, after all there always has to be three teams that drop out of the Premier League each season!!

As a result I don't get why they're against what could be a massive aid in the future.
    They get parachute payments if they go down. So voting against giving EFL clubs more money helps them out if they go down as they will still get the parachute payments and their competition has less money. 

Unfortunately, if this deal isn't signed we will probably see this championship season on repeat as the gap widens - i.e relegated prem clubs going straight back up. Ipswich are having a truly incredible season to compete with them whilst the relegated clubs realistically just have to be at par to match them given their already strong squads coupled with the parachute payments.

• Options
    I’m sure there are exceptions but on the whole the Premier League clubs couldn’t care less what happens to The EFL. I’ve been saying for years that English football is finished unless things change and it looks like at long last things are coming to a head. If this doesn’t resolve favourably for The EFL I think we’ll see many more smaller clubs going bust and or going part time. Even if things change I can’t see how 92 clubs are currently sustainable in the current format. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Methven is one of us, to be sung next week!?
    With a very expensive education. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My guess is because the current funding greatly cushions them if/when they are relegated and gives them a huge advantage financially.

The parachute payments are far more than the EFL payments (£100m ps v £20m pa IIRC) so their calculation is that "if we go down now we have a very, very good chance of coming straight back up but if the funding is levelled we have less chance of bouncing back so we'll vote for the status quo".

They are voting in their own interests which is what businesses do when there is no external regulation.
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Charlton have now apologised to West Ham for Methven’s comments, according to the Guardian.

This doesn’t suggest he is authorised to speak for the club!
  • Options
    Greedy fcukers....I would love for Palace to go down but sadly think they will stay up......can the EPL be deemed as a monopoly.......'prohibiting agreements or practices that restrict free trading and competition between business entities. This includes in particular the repression of cartels. banning abusive behaviour by a firm dominating a market, or anti-competitive practices that tend to lead to such a dominant position. ' ....Government should hit up Sky sports as well.....they have helped create this monster
  • Options
    The parachute payments distort things in the Championship, but then the finances of football are bizarre at the moment, with the Premier League FFP rules adding another complication.

If Leicester and Ipswich went up this season, the latter could spend far more as they don't have brought forward Premier League FFP losses to deal with.

Villa could be in FFP trouble if they don't make the CL.
  • Options
    Somebody in the Club has told Charlie to shut it with these views, especially with the Co-Owner tag applied?
  • Options
    The parachute payments distort things in the Championship, but then the finances of football are bizarre at the moment, with the Premier League FFP rules adding another complication.

If Leicester and Ipswich went up this season, the latter could spend far more as they don't have brought forward Premier League FFP losses to deal with.

Villa could be in FFP trouble if they don't make the CL.
    My understanding from various media reports is that the EFL will agree to the termination of parachute payments.
  • Options
    My point is that he is a minor shareholder at a L1 club, at which he has no formal position, so it’s not clear he has much locus. It’s interesting therefore that he is speaking about this on a national radio station when the club has been through a crisis during which neither he nor anyone else in apparent authority has been willing to put their name to anything (IIRC). It’s a bit odd.
    It's not that odd tho is it?
    CM's reputation was for opening his mouth to swap feet - granted this time he's made much more sense than we're used to hearing but he's always going to be a show off isn't he?
    A low rent tabloid radio station has hunted round for a quote from which to generate some "content" and CM's big mouth/small brain have delivered.
    How wise his outburst proves to be, we'll see.  Snippy PL bit-players like Parish will have their nose put well out of joint by this sniping from the cheap seats.  Speaking out or going against the grain is rarely well received in football - ask Curbs.
    CM's probably not helped the cause of the lower leagues.
    PL as a whole won't give a damn about anything imposed by any 'regulator'.  There's no chance they will agree to it having any teeth.
    CM's lack of any significant role at Charlton leaves him far from much blame over results this season.  We never expected him to have much to do with recruitment, so slinging shade his way doesn't work.  He has got a stake in the club, that probably cost him something, so it's entirely reasonable he's keeping tabs on the prospects for future revenues, isn't it?
    "Small stakeholder at mid-table 3rd division club complains about PL dragging its heels over redistribution" - not much of a story is it?
    The consortium CM was instrumental in bringing to replace Skintgaard certainly made a poor start to its time with Charlton but it may have started to regain some ground.  CM's not culpable/responsible for much of any of it.  That sort of inconvenient truth will never stop the brickbats or sour grapes.
  • Options
    So £900M over 6 years = £150M per year. For 72 league teams.  I guess it gets split unequally in some way but roughly £2M a year.  Reduces our losses which would still be huge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So £900M over 6 years = £150M per year. For 72 league teams.  I guess it gets split unequally in some way but roughly £2M a year.  Reduces our losses which would still be huge.
    I assume that would be in addition to however much they get now?
  • Options
    Interesting twist that according to this article, we have now apologised to Karren Brady 🤔

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/12/government-angry-premier-league-reject-efl-support-plan
    In that article it says CM said it’s “on record” that Palace and West Ham are the ringleaders. He knows perfectly well what that phrase means. So, on the record, where?  If that can be found I think theré’s a good case for broadcasting it far and wide. If it turns out not to be on the record, i.e in the public domain, postable here, then he has been very silly. Which on this occasion would be rather a pity.
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Billy_Mix said:
    My point is that he is a minor shareholder at a L1 club, at which he has no formal position, so it’s not clear he has much locus. It’s interesting therefore that he is speaking about this on a national radio station when the club has been through a crisis during which neither he nor anyone else in apparent authority has been willing to put their name to anything (IIRC). It’s a bit odd.
    It's not that odd tho is it?
    CM's reputation was for opening his mouth to swap feet - granted this time he's made much more sense than we're used to hearing but he's always going to be a show off isn't he?
    A low rent tabloid radio station has hunted round for a quote from which to generate some "content" and CM's big mouth/small brain have delivered.
    How wise his outburst proves to be, we'll see.  Snippy PL bit-players like Parish will have their nose put well out of joint by this sniping from the cheap seats.  Speaking out or going against the grain is rarely well received in football - ask Curbs.
    CM's probably not helped the cause of the lower leagues.
    PL as a whole won't give a damn about anything imposed by any 'regulator'.  There's no chance they will agree to it having any teeth.
    CM's lack of any significant role at Charlton leaves him far from much blame over results this season.  We never expected him to have much to do with recruitment, so slinging shade his way doesn't work.  He has got a stake in the club, that probably cost him something, so it's entirely reasonable he's keeping tabs on the prospects for future revenues, isn't it?
    "Small stakeholder at mid-table 3rd division club complains about PL dragging its heels over redistribution" - not much of a story is it?
    The consortium CM was instrumental in bringing to replace Skintgaard certainly made a poor start to its time with Charlton but it may have started to regain some ground.  CM's not culpable/responsible for much of any of it.  That sort of inconvenient truth will never stop the brickbats or sour grapes.
    I’m more interested in what influence Methven has over the direction of the club than his media activities. I think you underestimate that and @swisdom’s comment above supports that. 

That someone has seemingly apologised for his comments is more interesting than his comments themselves, to me anyway. Who is in a position to do that (and would bother)?
  • Options
    Charlton have now apologised to West Ham for Methven’s comments, according to the Guardian.

Methven said ‘I’m very sorry, Karen. I hope this does affect my application to go on the apprntice’
  • Options
    edited March 13
    I love how everyone seems to think that a govt regulator is the answer. After all they've made a fantastic job of all the other things they regulate...
    Easy jibe. What's your alternative answer?

• Options

Do you believe everything you read in The Guardian? If so then I feel sorry for you
  • Options
    I love how everyone seems to think that a govt regulator is the answer. After all they've made a fantastic job of all the other things they regulate...
    Well said!
    Yes. let's have yet another level of government in our lives.
  • Options
    edited March 14
    Easy jibe. What's your alternative answer?

Easy jibe? How about getting government out of our everyday lives and have them do what they are paid for. You know. Stop telling us what to do and fix stuff. That's supposed to be the job we pay them for. Lot of people have forgotten that and bend over every day.