Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Methven tells Palace and West Ham to “grow up” (over new EFL deal)

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 14
    Charlton have now apologised to West Ham for Methven’s comments, according to the Guardian.

This doesn’t suggest he is authorised to speak for the club!
    Why the f**k they apologies, he was 100% right.. Maybe he isn't authorised to speak on behalf of the club, but he can have his own personal opinion.. 
  • Options
    edited March 14
    Perhaps the apology was not for the content of CMs remarks but for the language used ie "Canute* like" and "grow up".

Would we have been happy if such remarks had been made about Charlton?

That's assuming an apology was made.

* Canute/Cnut gets a bad press as he didnt believe, according to a much later story, he could turn back the tide and was trying to show his fawning courtiers that he was not all powerful.

However, he did support mass immigration in boats, of the long variety, and create an early European union so wouldn't have been universally popular.
  • Options
    edited March 14
    I won't be bothered when there's an overspend against what Methven pitched to the owners. They didn't buy believing they'd make money with the club in L1, so they know promotion is the 1st goal. Didn't make it this season. Learn and move onto the next.

I'd be worried if the losses made them lose interest, but is there evidence of that? It's very early days for them to be expecting to see a return on their investment, so I think they'll stick with it for the foreseeable.
  • Options
    I love how everyone seems to think that a govt regulator is the answer. After all they've made a fantastic job of all the other things they regulate...
    Easy jibe. What's your alternative answer?

There isn’t another answer unless the Premier League decides to suddenly become very generous which we know it won’t but I think @BrentfordAddick makes a decent point. Look at the publics perception of Ofgem and Ofwat to name but two regulators. 
  • Options
    edited March 14
    I love how everyone seems to think that a govt regulator is the answer. After all they've made a fantastic job of all the other things they regulate...
    Easy jibe. What's your alternative answer?

A very fair question. I'm a believer in strong and effective government in the right places and it pains me to see what a mess is being made of things, at least in part because we have a government that doesn't really believe that there's a role for a strong state. I'm just not certain exactly what they are supposed to do. 

I suppose we start by asking what the problem is. I think, tell me if I'm wrong, I think the problem is that there's an argument about to what extent some football clubs should subsidise other football clubs. I don't know where else that model can be found. If I open a third rate coffee shop on  the High Street can I expect a better one to bung me a few quid every week to ensure that I keep going? It seems to my simple mind, that hasn't listened to the podcasts or read the books, that we have a ridiculous structure that cannot be kept going for ever and that we could easily be a victim of it. I think it started back when football clubs could keep all the gate money rather than split it with the visitors (for younger readers, there was sometimes laughter when crowds were announced at a number plainly much lower than the number of people actually in the ground) and since then we have been on a pathway of an elite that can set it own terms. 

So what's my alternative answer. Continue to demonstrate to the "elite" that there's a point to the pyramid. Luton v Bournemouth was exciting because of the jeopardy. You can't have success without failure. Try to reconstruct transfers of Academy players so that there is a financial reason for smaller clubs, like us right now, to develop players. 

But I think we should worry. The number of live music venues has fallen. There used to be dog tracks everywhere. I just don't understand how we can continue with loads of football clubs who are pretty much guaranteed to make a loss. I don't get how it can carry on, regardless of whether a government regulator is there. Do we say that clubs like ours are heritage assets and should be financially protected? Does there need to be a statutory role for government and if so, what is it aiming to do? Increase participation at grass routes, ensure that we have an elite, what?

And, when we were Prem League, did we say that we should be giving more money to teams that weren't? Genuine question. 
  • Options
    And might Tracey Crouch be the first regulator? Fair play to her if so. I suppose the success of govt regulation depends partly on the identity of the regulator. 
  • Options
    Never mind a Government-appointed regulator, WTF has the FA been doing since they created the Premier League 30+ years ago?

They've dropped the ball more often than our goalkeepers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard about this article on latest Price of Football pod yesterday
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13188487/Premier-League-clubs-shot-EFL-deal.html
    Interesting to learn from the PoF pod that the FA have a vote at the Premier League table. There are 21 votes which can be cast, one for each club and one for the FA. In order for a motion to be adopted it needs a 2/3 (two thirds) majority, i.e. 14 votes. Disappointing to also learn that the FA hardly ever sit at the table and vote.
    The most sensible idea I heard is to merge all 3 organisations, the Prem, the FA and the EPL......... snowball in hells chance of that........ so the regulator seems to be all we have....... by we I don't mean Charlton, I mean football people.
    I'm sure having a regulator will get something done quicker than waiting for the Prem to get it sorted. I do hope the legislation has good teeth and doesn't get watered down too much.
    Also good that UEFA are (have? I'm not sure) setting financial limits for clubs who want to play in the Champions League etc. This will apparently force the Prem to have lower FFP spending limits than they might otherwise want....... the rich clubs won't get quite as rich as they'd like to be if they're not in European competitions.
  • Options
    But those UEFA rules also limit "smaller" club's spending so stopping them splashing the cash to break into the top level in Europe the way City and PSG have.

They have got through before UEFA closed the door behind them so now much harder for anyone to breakthrough.
  • Options
    Seems to me that the only leverage EFL have over PL is the fact that so many of the PL trainee superstars play for a season or two in the lower divisions. So if push comes to shove (and EFL can unite) they should all refuse to take any of the PL development players, unless EFL receives money to take them. PL could send them to Europe/Overseas, but that looks more expensive and risky to me (I've no idea of the employment rules etc except for 3 month rule for EEC). Otherwise EFL just have to beg and hope Government intervenes
  • Options
    Latest episode: Methven reckons Charlton has a competitive advantage when the regulations come in limiting salary expenditure. Good feeder academies become a critical asset and we have one. 
  • Options
    I have been listening to the podcast: Where's the Money Gone?. It is co-presented by our very own Charlie Methven. A bunch of you are across this already. But I have to say I have found it very interesting..

For those that haven't listened to it, Charlie is a sharper tool than I had foolishly assumed him to be. Despite being Etonian etc he appears to have had a lifelong interest as a fan and put voluntary hours into football over the years.

At the start of each pod the two co-hosts talk a bit about their respective clubs' fortunes on the Saturday. Well they did up until Appleton was sacked and it's been radio silence on that since. Probably wise.

There are some interesting glimpses into Charlton related matters or perspectives throughout the pod.

If you are to believe everything or every philosophy that he espouses, Charlieboy is probably not a negative influence on the club in my opinion.

One of the episodes they have a company rep of the fan experience company that Charlton are getting advice from. They talk a lot of sense and they talk about the need to balance the needs of the traditional or 'legacy' fans and the need to make experiences and content that resonates with new markets.

Anyway whether you like him or not you should have a listen.

Spot on.