Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Fleetwood Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

A poor pitch and an awkward wind make conditions difficult today, in what was a scrappy affair for both sides.

The Addicks opened scoring with a penalty won and dispatched by Alfie May a few strokes into added time before the end of the first half. Fleetwood left it relatively late, mounting a bit of a comeback on eighty minutes. Their goal came from a lapse at the back that allowed midfield substitute Ryan Gradon through on goal and clumsily poke the ball in off the post. With the momentum now with the home side, Harry Isted kept us in it with a cracking point-blank save. A debut for Kazenga LuaLua, replacing Daniel Kanu, almost paid off when he had a chance to put fellow sub Freddie Ladapo through, but he put it just out of reach. Ladapo had a chance in the box before the final whistle but the ball just wouldn’t sit down and was eventually poked wide after a goal-mouth-scramble.

The equaliser came as a difficult blow at the end of a slog of a match. Fleetwood benefit in their attempt to claw themselves out of relegation and Charlton remain on a decent unbeaten run.

Fleetwood 1 Charlton 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Ugh! Horrible game, no quality at all from us, not much from Fleetwood either. Probably more up and unders than I'll watch in the rugby later! But a point closer to safety.
  • Options
    Scrappy, we never got going, fair result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We lost there the season we got promoted.

We’ve never enjoyed playing there, one big Fosu performance in 2017 aside.

The sooner they are in League 2 and we can get another bogey ground off our list of away games the better.
    Could well be joining them 
    Everyone out 
  • Options
    A truly dreadful performance which we did not deserve to win and could have lost.
    We are incapable of defending long throws. Our midfield was guilty of misplaced, short passing and crossing. The defence is still guilty of comical errors.

Blaming the conditions and the pitch is not good enough. Not many years ago most pitches were like this and players rose above it if they were good enough.

I think NJ will need to clean out the defenders and start again.

• Options
    Disappointed to concede to such a poor goal defending wise but overall,a draw was a fair result. The worst we've played under NJ bar the very early in his tenure Reading game. We went down to their level on a shocking pitch. Hopefully we wont have to play them again next season, a horrible side. Its a point we didnt have this morning so got to be happy with that. 
  • Options
    The pitch was horrendous.  It did us no favours, but as already mentioned we can't defend long throws, DESPITE playing three centre halves!
  • Options
    I seriously doubt 'every pitch' was like that in the 1970s. Were groundsmen back then all just the stupidest, laziest person they could find? 
  • Options
    Absolutely awful game but it's a point away from home, the unbeaten run continues and none of the bottom 4 gained any ground on us.

Couple of weeks now to rest up before we go again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The game does feel like a bit of a write off. It's an easy excuse but the pitch played a huge part in every single player forgetting how to kick a ball. Not concerned about how poor we were apart from on the long throws. Consistently unable to defend them all season.
  • Options
    The worst we've played under Jones really but in some ways that's not a totally bad thing - inasmuch as genuinely poor performances stand out as exceptions rather than being the norm as they were under Appleton.

We never ever do well against Fleetwood at their own ground and the pitch certainly did us no favours but I will say that if Jones is going to actually transform the team next season then winning games like this one needs to be something we learn to do.

Still unbeaten in 7. Still in decent form. Hopefully just a bad day at the office, and learn from this then move rapidly on.
  • Options
    edited March 16
    Awful game. No real quality from 
    either side. Similar to Northampton that we should have never let them back in the game and should have run 1-0 winners.
  • Options
    We would have lost that under Apples, so a point is OK.

My only gripe is that NJ did the subs 15-20 mins too late.

• Options
    edited March 16
    Jones basically saying the pitch is horrendous and the wind didn’t help, ruined any chance of a decent game of football.

Overall he’s pleased with the run of results after coming in we were one point above the bottom four and now we’re 10 or 11.
  • Options
    Poor game. Could've won. Could've lost. Can blame the conditions to a certain extent, but generally no-one can claim to have had a good game. Best forgotten. 
  • Options
    edited March 16
    Connor Wickham had a problem with his thigh after last weekend so didn’t get a proper week of training and was left out.
  • Options
    I’d have taken a point before kick off so not too disappointed with the result, but the performance was pretty dreadful. Yes the conditions were tough but I counted at least 3 air shots when well placed, again we had that one moment of really poor defending that had nothing to do with pitch or conditions.

Fair play to Isted. He hasn’t impressed me at all but today he made two big saves and we’d have lost without them. 

One of the lowest quality matches I’ve ever watched, at a professional level at least.