Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Fleetwood Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    Poor goal to concede. Gillesphey has quite a few Sam Lavelle moments. 

• Options
    Draw was a fair result. The pitch was a joke and actually did Fleetwood no favours either, no wonder they are down there. 
  • Options
    edited March 17
    On the subject of pitches and the 70.s White hart Lane FA Cup semi final 1970.

[69/70] The Big Match [14-03-1970] - YouTube

Reminded me of the pitch at Chelsea several years ago.
  • Options
    Oldham had a plastic pitch.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Small should be the only one of the current back 5 starting next season. 
    And REG. Ramsay will hopefully be first choice wing back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look at the form of the teams below us and the points 5% chance at maximum of us getting relegated, 1 more win that is reduced to 2% 2 wins we are safe 100%
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Leuth said:
    Off_it said:
    The difference in a modern football pitch to those of yesteryear is mostly about drainage.  

There is also far more knowledge about the sub soil, gravel, seeding and weeding too. The groundsmen of the 70s always prepared a great surface for the season's K.O. in August, but they never had a chance of keeping it like that.
    No no no, they were stupid and lazy.
    My point was that they couldn't have been stupid and lazy. 

Have been helped to understand why the maintaining of a good surface was so much harder back then. 

There's no excuse for Fleetwood's surface in modern football. They've done that on purpose 
    On purpose? Stop being so dramatic.

Maybe they haven't had the budget to spend on maintaining the pitch to modern standards? Or maybe the location or area means its more difficult to maintain? Or maybe they had a storm up there and the pitch wasnt covered properly? There could be dozens of reasons.

But if you think its deliberate than was our shit pitch a few years back deliberate?

I mean the owner being jailed for fraud won't have helped things up there. 
  • Options
    edited March 17
    Fair play to those that trekked to Fleetwood for that. 

The modern ball is part of the problem, when you have a bobbly pitch. It's so light, it picks up every lump and bump and is hopeless in windy conditions. Personally, I'd like to see modern players using old school 1980s Adidas Tango or Minerva or Multiplex. I'm not keen on the excessive bounce of today's balls either. I'm not suggesting going back to the days of laced balls but something a tiny bit heavier would be good, especially combined with today's pitches. 

With regard to pitches then and now; there were always crap games at the end of the season because of bobbly dry pitches. But to compare yesterday's pitch to those of anything before about 1990 is daft. Yesterday's pitch was dry and bobbly and had a few bare patches. A typical March pitch pre-1990 would have been mainly bare from goal to goal and often worse than that! (see Coventry City v Charlton April 1988....about 95% rolled mud). 
  • Options
    Our midfield lacks any sort of guile and  penetration. I think Coventry could be more dangerous further up but, and I'm expecting pelters here, he's having to carry George a bit. Anderson will only get better but lacks the experience and confidence to really put it on opposition midfields.
  • Options
    Our midfield lacks any sort of guile and  penetration. I think Coventry could be more dangerous further up but, and I'm expecting pelters here, he's having to carry George a bit. Anderson will only get better but lacks the experience and confidence to really put it on opposition midfields.
    I would prefer to see Coventry play further forward and Dobson in front of the defence. 
    They seem the wrong way round to me.
  • Options
    Look at the form of the teams below us and the points 5% chance at maximum of us getting relegated, 1 more win that is reduced to 2% 2 wins we are safe 100%

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Fair play to those that trekked to Fleetwood for that. 

The modern ball is part of the problem, when you have a bobbly pitch. It's so light, it picks up every lump and bump and is hopeless in windy conditions. Personally, I'd like to see modern players using old school 1980s Adidas Tango or Minerva or Multiplex. I'm not keen on the excessive bounce of today's balls either. I'm not suggesting going back to the days of laced balls but something a tiny bit heavier would be good, especially combined with today's pitches. 

With regard to pitches then and now; there were always crap games at the end of the season because of bobbly dry pitches. But to compare yesterday's pitch to those of anything before about 1990 is daft. Yesterday's pitch was dry and bobbly and had a few bare patches. A typical March pitch pre-1990 would have been mainly bare from goal to goal and often worse than that! (see Coventry City v Charlton April 1988....about 95% rolled mud). 
    We’ll never ever see a return to heavier balls and quite rightly so. There is now unequivocal evidence that heading footballs have had and continue to have damaging effects on the brains of footballers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR:

A proper turd of a performance from both teams, but what else should we have expected when the surface was awful and the wind made it impossible to play it off the ground, made even worse by an open "stadium", giving zero shelter. I don't think Brazil would even put on a show in those conditions. Less said about this, the better. Not one for the memory banks.
  • Options
    On the subject of pitches and the 70.s White hart Lane FA Cup semi final 1970.

[69/70] The Big Match [14-03-1970] - YouTube

Reminded me of the pitch at Chelsea several years ago.
    That Chelsea v Watford game illustrates the point I was trying to make about the old school ball v modern ball. As bad as that surface was, the ball was still travelling relatively smoothly, especially in the early stages of the game. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It was a bad goal to concede and even under Jones we still have a very bad habit of giving away needless goals due to individual errors by one or two players. That much is definitely something that we need to improve next season.

However with that said, while we didn't get the three points to near enough guarantee safety or move us any further away from the bottom four, nor did Fleetwood succeed in making any ground up on us so net result is fairly neutral.

I'm fairly sure that while he talks positively Jones will be under no illusion about the size of the challenge he's facing turning this team into genuine promotion contenders.
    It’s actually a net positive for us and a negative for Fleetwod, because it’s another match gone, and a home match too, where they need to pick up wins. 
    One of the worst matches I’ve seen, but when you compare it to the Cray Valley débâcle, it was a Rolls Royce of a performance. 
  • Options
    There were lots of complaints about CPs style of football when we last won this league.We just had to win games and get results..thats what Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton do ,and we have matched them in the last month. It all bodes well for next season but we will have days like yesterday.Results are what matter.In NJ we trust 
  • Options
    Lot of people saying changes were to late .. I think the problem was he knew it would take someone new coming into these conditions time to settle and we could not risk that … …. some of the marks for Coventry are puzzling yet Dobson and Anderson get high votes ? … Coventry was the best of the three but struggled in the pitch .. it was impossible to play a passing game but at least he tired to get us going .. Dobson please keep him well away from the other teams area does not have a clue what to do .. and Anderson was way below par again 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We could've bypassed the bad pitch by going high into Chuks/Wickham and playing off them. Think it would've been a different game. Kanu/May struggled to impose themselves. Reinforces the need for a target man in the summer (without a poor injury record). 
    Agree I think yesterday was all about a big target man ..Leaburn , Aneke or Wickham different game completely .. have to say was impressed with Ben Heneghan experienced centre back was very good in both boxes .. 
  • Options
    edited March 17
    Play well “we’re gonna win the league “
    play shit “ total rebuild needed”
    Charlton fans!!!

Did anyone ever actually say that?
  • Options
    I never realised how much I've missed Leuth.

Oh, the game was shite, but meh, point. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Off_it said:
    Leuth said:
    I seriously doubt 'every pitch' was like that in the 1970s. Were groundsmen back then all just the stupidest, laziest person they could find? 
    As opposed to people today making stupid lazy comments about a time they know nothing about?
    Are you genuinely saying that that is what every football match was like back then? And everyone didn't, like, take up bowls instead? 
    Of course not. Playing bowls would be very difficult.