Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Fleetwood Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    Poor old Jones looks absolutely freezing in his post match interview!

He'll need a stiff drink to thaw himself out !
  • Options
    A match on the cusp of meh and merde. For much of the first half we looked better than them, but despite the 'swirling wind' that we were told about we still didn't have the composure to put our foot on the ball and allowed ourselves to get dragged into a game of head tennis - or perhaps we just accept that that's a natural consequence of playing on a ploughed field. When we did try to play football, most of our attacks broke down due to some atrocious passing. For most of the second half we looked second best and when they attacked us we looked absolutely comical at times. The only thing that was missing was the circus clown music. Even as a seasoned Charlton fan, I expect far better. Ah well, another point nearer safety. Well done to the travelling faithful.
  • Options
    I’d have taken a point before kick off so not too disappointed with the result, but the performance was pretty dreadful. Yes the conditions were tough but I counted at least 3 air shots when well placed, again we had that one moment of really poor defending that had nothing to do with pitch or conditions.

Fair play to Isted. He hasn’t impressed me at all but today he made two big saves and we’d have lost without them. 

One of the lowest quality matches I’ve ever watched, at a professional level at least. 
    Good point about the air shots - they lacked composure towards the end.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I seriously doubt 'every pitch' was like that in the 1970s. Were groundsmen back then all just the stupidest, laziest person they could find? 
    By this late in the season all ground even div 1 were like churned up fields of mud, they used a lot of sand in those days at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Just listened to NJ, agree with every word. Pitch was bloody awful, conditions shit, opposition just lump it! However, all that said we were poor today, but the run continues, we would've lost that under MA! NJ's job is to steer us to safety this season, and then let him build for next!
    Whilst being disappointed with the game and result, we got a point, in a crap game! 
    I'm looking forward to next season  and can't wait for this one to finish!
    At least Alfie scored again which keeps my bet alive as being the leagues top scorer!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Leuth said:
    I seriously doubt 'every pitch' was like that in the 1970s. Were groundsmen back then all just the stupidest, laziest person they could find? 
    As opposed to people today making stupid lazy comments about a time they know nothing about?
    Are you genuinely saying that that is what every football match was like back then? And everyone didn't, like, take up bowls instead? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Possibly not 'every' pitch, but I can tell you there were loads and loads that were considerably worse than that.
  • Options
    Messy game which suited them more than us but a poor goal given away. Nobody seemed to have any time on the ball which was probably down to the conditions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Leuth said:
    By this late in the season all ground even div 1 were like churned up fields of mud, they used a lot of sand in those days at the end of the season.
    Fine. I guess the players made up for it by being slower and less fit so you probably still had time on the ball ;) 
  • Options
    These spoilt pampered youngsters and their 'expecting the ball to roll in a straight line' 
  • Options
    I think the biggest problem was a swirling wind.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    msomerton said:
    Leuth said:
    Fine. I guess the players made up for it by being slower and less fit so you probably still had time on the ball ;) 
    Slower running but had more stamina as those pitches took it out of them.

• Options
    edited March 16
    Leuth said:
    Off_it said:
    Leuth said:
    As opposed to people today making stupid lazy comments about a time they know nothing about?
    Are you genuinely saying that that is what every football match was like back then? And everyone didn't, like, take up bowls instead? 
    I’d say it was the norm. Have a look at The Big Match Revisited some time. Even top flight games were often played on mudheaps so you can imagine what a pitch at a division 3 match was like.
    Quite right. And yet there were some great ball players who just overcame the conditions. And they were not protected by referees most of the time as well.
  • Options
    I think the biggest problem was a swirling wind.
    Are we that finely tuned that the wind affected us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Off_it said:
    Leuth said:
    I’d say it was the norm. Have a look at The Big Match Revisited some time. Even top flight games were often played on mudheaps so you can imagine what a pitch at a division 3 match was like.
    This made me laugh (starts with pics of The Valley): https://vimeo.com/338348114

West Ham v Man City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKHmqvJLnF4

Derby have to have a penalty spot repainted: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=653005662192851

Yep pitches were pretty grim.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Off_it said:
    Leuth said:
    You need to YouTube 80's The Big Match, I would say 75% of pitches come the end of January were in a terrible state.
    I witnessed it first hand.
  • Options
    Awful game and a really crap goal to concede, only bonus to no game next week is hopefully we can everyone bar Miles back and available for it and the run in

• Options
    I'm feeling like a smarty-pants for not spending a tenner on the match feed today.
  • Options
    edited March 16
    Game was an abomination. We got a point but we're poor imo. Didn't play the conditions at all and were second to virtually every loose ball. The less said about the defending in the last 10 mins the better.

Subs were too late. Bakinson should have been on for Anderson 30 mins from the end. Yes Jones rates him but that is 3 iffy performances on the bounce now. Kept getting caught in possession and his passing was poor.

Shame Wickham has a niggle as we desperately needed a focal point as the long punts forward kept coming straight back at us.

Yes the pitch was shit, yes the wind was difficult, but that doesn't excuse completely switching off from a throw and the lack of an attempt to stop the goal.