Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Fleetwood Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th March 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    Lump it forward will keep us up this season. It won't get us promoted next season. 
    This is said a bit tongue in cheek but I do think it would be possible.

If you made your home pitch atrocious on purpose ( just hire a groundsman who knows nothing), and played the old long ball, bypassing midfield with a proper decent Fash The Bash (unlike Stockley), a snarling Vinnie et al, plus no- nonsense lump it out defending without the calamitous passing it across the pitch for no reason, then I think it could still be done. 
  • Options
    Potentially the worst person this could’ve fallen to in the dying minutes of the game?

In the seventies that penalty box would have been the best kept in the country, and the groundsman would have been considered fantastic. 
  • Options
    Although it’s hard to pause at the right moment, it seems to me that he plays the ball and the ball hits May’s heel.

I’d like another camera angle to be sure. 

Can anyone who was there say with any honest certainty?
  • Options
    Far too many overreactions on this thread. That being said if any of yesterdays starters are still at the club next season I hope Nathan Jones is relieved of this duties. In fact bin the subs too 
    Fuckwit
  • Options
    Far too many overreactions on this thread. That being said if any of yesterday’s starters are still at the club next season I hope Nathan Jones is relieved of this duties. In fact bin the subs too 
    You wot? 
  • Options
    Far too many overreactions on this thread. That being said if any of yesterdays starters are still at the club next season I hope Nathan Jones is relieved of this duties. In fact bin the subs too 

• Options
    I have a slightly different take on it to some. It was a game played on an unpredictable pitch with a swirling wind against a team set up to be physical without much else. We were on a hiding to nothing and it says something about the resilience of the group, a new found one at that, that we didn't lose the game. Something we would almost certainly have done before Jones.

Yes we have to strengthen a bit and some players have to improve a bit too, but the task doesn't seem such a mountain to climb anymore. At half time against Derby, we were in the bottom three and despite a run of tough games, we are now 10 points clear. That is pretty good in my book.
    ‘strengthen a bit’? We are miles off being a top six side. Anyone who thinks four or five decent additions will be enough needs to give their head a serious wobble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 17
    Another great weekend in Blackpool. The 2 night bar crawl lived upto its usual expectations  :). Not much to say about the game... apart from it was shit, even worse than the half time meat and potato pie!!.
  • Options
    On the subject of pitches and the 70.s White hart Lane FA Cup semi final 1970.

[69/70] The Big Match [14-03-1970] - YouTube

Reminded me of the pitch at Chelsea several years ago.
    Tbf the Chelsea groundsmen was shit! Back before the ground was rebuilt, the pitch was like a potato field for our visit and immediately after the game as we were held back, he got on a tractor and consolidated all the bumps with a roller!

I'm guessing that this was late 80s? I had a sportsground to maintain and I would  never have rolled those 5 pitches, ever. Basic stuff for anyone given correct training.

Trouble was, a groundsmen just cut the grass and marked the pitch, so the stadium manager's teenage neighbour's son could do that back in the day. it wasnt seen as an important job or one that needed knowledge.  I've seen it too often.

This is not to belittle the profession of Groundsmen (sorry, Ground's Staff), I was one after all, but the roll was undermined by those employing them.
  • Options
    I've not seen any comments about the penalty we should have had on the first few minutes.

Tbf, it was difficult to see from the TV angle, but with just the keeper to beat, I don't see a striker diving in that situation. Anyone at the match have a better view?

Oh, and I would criticise Jones for bringing on Lapado at all, but particularly for our top scorer. It might be harsh to say that was the reason for the equaliser,  but it could be debated.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    I’ve replayed it at least ten times and I don’t even think there was any contact on May. Even if there was, the defender was fairly clearing the ball. This says everything I dislike about modern football: the slightest contact and the attacker falls down and a foul is given. 

Our away fans won us that penalty. 
    He missed the ball and booted the underside of Mays foot. It is, was and forever will be a penalty.
    You don't have to mean to to foul a player to commit a foul. He kicked May insead of the ball which is a foul anywhere else on the pitch so it is a foul in the penalty area. The ref was right there. What I would pull him up on is shirt pulling is not allowed. We should have had a penalty earlier but I don't get this 'not pulling enough defence'. Shirt pulling is a foul.
  • Options
    edited March 17
    Apparently we would have lost the game under Apples. Does it matter? The guy left ten games ago. Would we have won it under Curb's? Exactly. It's irrelevant. Move on.
  • Options
    edited March 18
    I’ve replayed it at least ten times and I don’t even think there was any contact on May. Even if there was, the defender was fairly clearing the ball. This says everything I dislike about modern football: the slightest contact and the attacker falls down and a foul is given. 

Our away fans won us that penalty. 
    What are you banging on about? You'd rather we hadn't got the penalty and lost the game? Fcuk me sideways.
  • Options
    Truly a boring game of football. 

Just want the season to be over now so we can have a clean slate and see what Nathan Jones can do. 

https://youtu.be/iCnMY4m0piA?si=7RVNzYTVROdO-Beh

Latest vlog now up! Worth a watch to see someone sing a song 😂

Brilliant work as always mate, always love watching your vlogs 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me the major weak point is the defence. Too many rickets waiting to happen. Any rebuild must start there. Midfield and upfront starting to look more solid. Included in the defence is the goal keeping position. Generally we look weak in that area in my opinion. 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 17
    Negative points - terrible game, we didn't win.
    Positive points - unbeaten run continues, another point to confirmed safety and Nathan Jones being able to start planing for next season. Alfie May scores another goal and top of the goal scoring charts.
  • Options
    Awful game, poor performance, fair result.

Jones has improved things but there is still a lot of work to do.

Perhaps with an Aneke or Wickham as a "game changer" off the bench we hold on, but Fleetwood are a typical big, physical, with a few decent players league 1 side that we have to be able to beat home and away if we want to go up next year.

Deffo a penalty and should have had one earlier but we hardly worked their keeper.

Non-league stadium but neat and tidy other than the weird sight of the old stand still in place behind its replacement.

And was the pitch very short and narrow compared to the Valley or just looked it?

A good weekend away with mates but boy, Blackpool is run down.

Long been tacky and shabby but now far worse

• Options
    And not forgetting his Douchatelet taped up shoes, classic 😅
  • Options
    Oh that hat is just cruel
  • Options
    I've not seen any comments about the penalty we should have had on the first few minutes.

Tbf, it was difficult to see from the TV angle, but with just the keeper to beat, I don't see a striker diving in that situation. Anyone at the match have a better view?

Oh, and I would criticise Jones for bringing on Lapado at all, but particularly for our top scorer. It might be harsh to say that was the reason for the equaliser,  but it could be debated.
    It was a pen he was rugby tackled to the ground as you say no reason for Kanu to go down as he had a tap in