Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New England shirt 2024 & St George’s scandal

Comments

• Options
    In terms of the Union flag which does not have a Wales element, will it change if there becomes a United Ireland and Scotland go independent?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In terms of the Union flag which does not have a Wales element, will it change if there becomes a United Ireland and Scotland go independent?
    If it was to follow the theme of the Union Jack , uniting the flags of the kingdoms, it’d just be the St George’s cross as wales was never a kingdom 
  • Options
    Reflects my age but I always like this design. Simple but clean. 

Admiral produced loads of great tops in that era.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I don't know who I think are sadder, the people getting wound up about the flag being "messed with" or people rubbing their hands with glee, desperate to mock people who are upset by it. 

Culture wars indeed. 
    Agree and disagree.  If you’re losing your marbles over this it’s pathetic.  At the same time I certainly wouldn’t go around calling people “flag shaggers”, no need.  It is culture war part 7394739, let’s see what gets served up this week, as I said earlier, probably something along the lines of “they’re banning Easter”.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If it was to follow the theme of the Union Jack , uniting the flags of the kingdoms, it’d just be the St George’s cross as wales was never a kingdom 
    Was it a Kingdom from 1055 to 1063?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Was it a Kingdom from 1055 to 1063?
    Sorry you’re right, it wasn’t a kingdom when the union was made, it was already merged with England 
  • Options
    edited March 24
    Well, Nike got the exact reaction they wanted and a clever media ploy has now caused a bit of civil unrest across social media.

All a big distraction, as they do in the real world on a day-to-day basis to us, the common man/woman. 

A spiteful place the Internet and social media. Really shows the worst of the world from all angles. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Think this whole saga has just proved that the country is unwell 
    Populism. Not helped by politicians from all sides jumping on it to score points. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    I don't know who I think are sadder, the people getting wound up about the flag being "messed with" or people rubbing their hands with glee, desperate to mock people who are upset by it. 

Culture wars indeed. 
    Plus probably only about 5% of people moaning about the flag on the shirt would actually ever buy one anyway. 
  • Options
    edited March 27
    I had a look at the previous kit and it didn't have a cross on the back. As it doesn't seem to be an integral part of the shirt, such as the three lions, I can't see what the fuss is about. It seems to be a design feature which cannot claim to be the cross of St George, that's all. I like the kit more than a few previous ones. Firstly, where possible, I think the shorts should always be blue as per tradition as seems to be the case here and I wasn't a fan of us and other nations playing in all one colour. Secondly, I think our away shirt should be red and white, again due to tradition and the fact we won a World Cup in those colours and it irritates me more when this is changed. But not that much that I am going to foam at the mouth over it.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    It's a dumb thing to mess with tbh, there's enough other details etc on the rest of the kits to not have to decide to fuck with the flag.

You may call them snowflakes, but imagine the uproar in very patriotic countries like the US and France, if they added a flag with different colours onto the jersey
    You’ve got to be kidding . Most French people don’t bother to watch the national football team until they get to the semis.

In 2018 I came back from England the day after France won the World Cup and there wasn’t a single sign that anything had happened. Nothing at all. Life as usual.

Probably less than half of the kids at my son’s football club even support France! When they played Morocco in 2022 there was more noise about town for the Moroccan national team. I don’t live in a town with a disproportionate immigrant population.  It’s just that the majority of French of French origin don’t care enough.
    https://youtu.be/11iyFBC_K5k?si=UFDg7jh0v96relsK
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Gribbo said:

is this OK to do?
    Not come here for an argument, just wanted to point out the floor in your point. The flag you've shared is to remember police officers (blue stripe) who've died (black) in the line of duty. The St George's Cross on the England kit is meant to identify the team playing in it. Anything other than a red cross on white background doesn't do that, so to me at least, this ain't the St George's Cross, it's a pattern that's unconnected and looks a bit out of place imo.

This is absolutely on the money. 

The St George's Cross is a red cross on a white background. The pattern on the England shirt is a multicoloured cross on a blue background. Ergo, it's not the St George's Cross. 

It's also a bit naff. But I don't think it will effect the team's chances at the Euros, so I don't really care. 

I'm not sure I noticed it at all during the Brazil game. 
    I went last night, my son wanted to go in the shop, plenty of fans obviously checking out the new kit in the flesh.  Not one person gave a f*ck about it, storm in a daily mail tea cup.  
  • Options
    edited March 27
    I'm more concerned with the cost of shirts now.  

I imagine there are lots of fans who buy each new top and they change every season.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Gribbo said:

is this OK to do?
    Not come here for an argument, just wanted to point out the floor in your point. The flag you've shared is to remember police officers (blue stripe) who've died (black) in the line of duty. The St George's Cross on the England kit is meant to identify the team playing in it. Anything other than a red cross on white background doesn't do that, so to me at least, this ain't the St George's Cross, it's a pattern that's unconnected and looks a bit out of place imo.

This is absolutely on the money. 

The St George's Cross is a red cross on a white background. The pattern on the England shirt is a multicoloured cross on a blue background. Ergo, it's not the St George's Cross. 

It's also a bit naff. But I don't think it will effect the team's chances at the Euros, so I don't really care. 

I'm not sure I noticed it at all during the Brazil game. 
    Nobody would have noticed or cared, if they were not made aware of it. 
  • Options
    IMO this is one of the best England shirts in years.

But there’s a few upset snowflakes over the artistic license used for incorporating blues and purples in the St George’s cross on the collar… personally I think it’s more scandalous that it’ll cost £85 minimum for an adult size.

But its not a St George's cross 
    Is it so why is it on the shirt in the first place 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best England home kit for a while. The fact that they've managed to "trans" the St. George's cross on the back is objectively very funny to me. 

Seriously though, I've only seen bits and pieces of the culture war this has wrought. Nike had a problem last month in baseball where they made new jerseys (kits) and pants (trousers) that were cheap looking and, as it turned out, see through! And they, of course, simultaneously upped the prices as well. 

I'm going to resist the urge to make a larger point about capitalism and monopolies in the age of consumerism, and instead say that I appreciate when manufacturers take a chance at doing something different. The Carlisle home kit from this season, the train seat one, I've grown to quite like it because it's at least something new (making the away kit in the same pattern was a bit too far). And I like the different colors of the "flag" on the neck, I think the purple and the blues go nicely with the collar. And I also have no idea why they've done it in the shape of a flag and not just as a detail. And I'm not going to read the PR guff to find out why.

And I'm not saying that from a "disrespecting the flag" standpoint (flags are inanimate objects, they do not have feelings), I'm saying it from a design perspective. It's just a bit odd.

Anyway, when England go out in the quarter finals and Southgate moves on we can all look back and blame the kit. 
  • Options
    I'm more concerned with the cost of shirts now.  

I imagine there are lots of fans who buy each new top and they change every season.
    International shirts change every 2 years, as they are released to coincide with each tournament.

Still doesn't hide the fact the prices are a joke though.
  • Options
    No one cares anymore, it's chip paper.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-68656787
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    No one cares anymore, it's chip paper.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-68656787
    "We've got a cat without a pulse here"
  • Options
    Any links to moody Chinese (other countries acceptable) websites selling cheap knock offs for the kids ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Any links to moody Chinese (other countries acceptable) websites selling cheap knock offs for the kids ?
    https://www.soccer03.store/England-Euro-2024-Away-Man-Jersey-p621846.html
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Germany and adidas have banned anyone using the number 44 in their shirts as looks like the old SS insignia 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68708981.amp

• Options
    I guess if you really like the number 44, you can just double it and go with 88 instead
  • Options
    edited April 3
    People are going to be very upset when they find out what’s already been planned for the 2024 Olympics…

10 days later and this is all over Conservative twitter accounts… so very predictable.

This should be the focus of your outrage this week until we find something else for you next week.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    https://www.soccer03.store/England-Euro-2024-Away-Man-Jersey-p621846.html
    @shine166 Have you ordered from here previously mate? If so are they good quality?

Thanks