Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player of the year dinner - Sun 28th April, bookings closed (p4)

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    seth plum said:
    All zones are £letthegoodtimesroll said:
    seth plum said:
    How much is it?
    Depends upon which zone you want to sit in. Try and avoid the ones down the sides 
    All zones are £55 seemingly.
    If 400 tickets are sold that would bring in £22,000.
    Does VAT come into play? It takes it down to £18,600 if I have calculated that right.
    There is venue hire, staff costs and sundries to take into account, if the food is £6 per person that is £2,400. That would leave £16,200 to pay for venue hire and staff costs. If you employ 30 people for 3 hours at an average of just above the London living wage that will come to around £3000.
    That takes it down to £13,200 for venue hire. That would presumably include a PA system, and a fee for a host like Scott Minto (£1000?).

Whys Scott Minto getting a £1000.

Guesswork on my part.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    How much is it?
    Depends upon which zone you want to sit in. Try and avoid the ones down the sides 
    Does VAT come into play? It takes it down to £18,600 if I have calculated that right.
    There is venue hire, staff costs and sundries to take into account, if the food is £6 per person that is £2,400. That would leave £16,200 to pay for venue hire and staff costs. If you employ 30 people for 3 hours at an average of just above the London living wage that will come to around £3000.
    That takes it down to £13,200 for venue hire. That would presumably include a PA system, and a fee for a host like Scott Minto (£1000?).

A major overhead at these things has long been that the fans have to pay for the players’, management and other guests’ meals. 
    'Other guests', how many could that be?  I accept that players and management cannot be expected to pay.    Although it would be good if they stumped up their cost of the meal.
  • Options
    clive said:

The club’s 2024 Player of the Year dinner will take place on Sunday, April 28th in the Meantime Fans’ Bar at The Valley.

Organised by the club’s Fans’ Forum, supporters attending will enjoy a two-course meal and meet the men’s and women’s first-team players.

Tickets for the event will go on sale on Monday, March 25th. 

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/player-year-dinner-set-april-28th

What happens if the meal is not enjoyed?
    Will this also be streamed on CATV?
  • Options
    clive said:

The club’s 2024 Player of the Year dinner will take place on Sunday, April 28th in the Meantime Fans’ Bar at The Valley.

Organised by the club’s Fans’ Forum, supporters attending will enjoy a two-course meal and meet the men’s and women’s first-team players.

Tickets for the event will go on sale on Monday, March 25th. 

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/player-year-dinner-set-april-28th

What happens if the meal is not enjoyed?
    Will this also be streamed on CATV?
    You get to moan relentlessly on here about it
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    How much is it?

A major overhead at these things has long been that the fans have to pay for the players’, management and other guests’ meals. 
    I don’t think it’d be unreasonable for this not only be mandatory for players but also that they pay for themselves.
  • Options
    What if it wasn’t mandatory for players, or any other ‘guests’, but if anybody chooses to attend they all pay the £55?
    The award(s) can be presented ‘in absentia’ like sometimes happens in other award ceremonies if the winner isn’t there.
    Any idea how many players and other ‘guests’ those who pay will be subsidising?
  • Options
    edited March 25
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I for one need to know a lot more about the vegetarian menu options and seating plan before committing. 
  • Options
    edited March 25
    seth plum said:
    What if it wasn’t mandatory for players, or any other ‘guests’, but if anybody chooses to attend they all pay the £55?
    The award(s) can be presented ‘in absentia’ like sometimes happens in other award ceremonies if the winner isn’t there.
    This is an event for which tickets are available at a price - it's very much the same as a concert or other event that has tickets for sale except that this is organised by our fellow Charlton fans. The event itself has been arranged and isn't available for "what ifs" now. If you would like greater input I'm sure you could put your name forward to help organise next years dinner.

Of course you have the right to have your say, it's a public forum but the people organising this are the best of our fans in my experience and I think the points you are challenging them on are a touch disrespectful to them.
    I am not challenging the crème de la crème fans who organise the event, as far as I am concerned those elite people can organise ten, twenty events.
    If talking about costs and catering is disrespectful I suppose I owe some mysterious people an apology for not knowing my place in the hierarchy of fans.
    As a fan I am of the level of ballast I suppose, but if you can quote something I have written that is objectively disrespectful then I will apologise to the mystery high ups.
    An early post (and others) was a piss take of vegetarians. Do you think the piss take is aimed at all vegetarians or just one individual? Was that being disrespectful at all, or part of the jolly rough and tumble of message board interaction?

In the highly unlikely event that I were organising a player of the season ceremony next year I wouldn’t offer food, and the cost would cover the basics like venue hire, security, and a PA. Attendance would not be mandatory for players, and if they wanted to come I would expect them to pay their share.

• Options
    I actually thought this was an official club event, I had no idea that its organised by fans. 
  • Options
    It is advertised on the club website but that advertisement says the event is organised by the ‘fans forum’.
    It says it is organised by fans for the fans, and that we are all on this journey together.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    This is an event for which tickets are available at a price - it's very much the same as a concert or other event that has tickets for sale except that this is organised by our fellow Charlton fans. The event itself has been arranged and isn't available for "what ifs" now. If you would like greater input I'm sure you could put your name forward to help organise next years dinner.

Of course you have the right to have your say, it's a public forum but the people organising this are the best of our fans in my experience and I think the points you are challenging them on are a touch disrespectful to them.
    I am not challenging the crème de la crème fans who organise the event, as far as I am concerned those elite people can organise ten, twenty events.
    If talking about costs and catering is disrespectful I suppose I owe some mysterious people an apology for not knowing my place in the hierarchy of fans.
    As a fan I am of the level of ballast I suppose, but if you can quote something I have written that is objectively disrespectful then I will apologise to the mystery high ups.
    An early post (and others) was a piss take of vegetarians. Do you think the piss take is aimed at all vegetarians or just one individual? Was that being disrespectful at all, or part of the jolly rough and tumble of message board interaction?

In the highly unlikely event that I were organising a player of the season ceremony next year I wouldn’t offer food, and the cost would cover the basics like venue hire, security, and a PA. Attendance would not be mandatory for players, and if they wanted to come I would expect them to pay their share.

Look, each to his own, when I organise events even within my friend group the minute it's organised there's always some helpful fellow to suggest how it should have been done or how he would have done it - it's frustrating.
    I'm not trying to twist your arm, just offering you the perspective of an outsider on the tone of your comments. I'm not one to pile on you or any poster on here and I respect your point of view. Whether or not you have been disrespected is immaterial to my point.

All that said, I don't care how you would organise a player of the season event, until you do.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Look, each to his own, when I organise events even within my friend group the minute it's organised there's always some helpful fellow to suggest how it should have been done or how he would have done it - it's frustrating.
    I'm not trying to twist your arm, just offering you the perspective of an outsider on the tone of your comments. I'm not one to pile on you or any poster on here and I respect your point of view. Whether or not you have been disrespected is immaterial to my point.

All that said, I don't care how you would organise a player of the season event, until you do.
    My only contribution in the past, before technology was everywhere, was for several seasons be one of those volunteers with a clipboard collecting player of the year votes from fans who turned up for a match in person.
  • Options
    edited March 25

Tickets are now on sale for Charlton's 2024 Player of the Year dinner.

The end-of-season event takes place on Sunday, April 28th in the Meantime Fans’ Bar at The Valley, with doors opening from 6pm. Click here to purchase your tickets now

Supporters attending will enjoy a two-course meal, which is set to be served from 7pm. The club's Ticket Office will contact those attending to request any dietary requirements ahead of the event.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/2024-player-year-tickets-sale-now

CAFCTrev said:
    I actually thought this was an official club event, I had no idea that its organised by fans. 

It seems as though the club is facilitating & charging for the event.

• Options
    I would expect the players attendance is mandatory. 
  • Options
    Booked my tickets and looking forward to it already, the missus and I had a great night last year and have no reason to think this year will be any different.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    why dont we all just order a fuck off chinese and everyone can have a little bit?
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    why dont we all just order a fuck off chinese and everyone can have a little bit?
    Where are we ordering it from?

nothing worse than having a takeaway at friends house and their Chinese that they’ve raved about is shit.
  • Options
    edited March 25
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

You know I am not one of the people who generally has a go at you, Seth, but you are being majorly sarcastic with those descriptions of the organisers, and the implication of your costing is that someone is sticking wedge in their pocket, though you cleverly word it not to actually say that. 

It's not a good look, sir. 
    It was written above that the organisers are ‘the best of our fans’, so I admit I found that annoying. I also admit to being annoyed because almost as soon as this thread started, before I posted anything, there was a sarcastic(?) comment about vegetarianism.
    Fair enough Seth, it just came across as a bit more of a dig at the organisers than a response to other posters. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

You know I am not one of the people who generally has a go at you, Seth, but you are being majorly sarcastic with those descriptions of the organisers, and the implication of your costing is that someone is sticking wedge in their pocket, though you cleverly word it not to actually say that. 

It's not a good look, sir. 
    It’s just trolling, plain and simple.