Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England vs Brazil (C4) - KO: 7pm

Comments

• Options
    Footie not up to much , but El Tel got a good send off before the match, and got to see Rodrigo, Vini Junior, and Endrick play, without travelling to Spain, so not all bad.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    We never get a result against Brazil. 
    We beat them last time we played them at Wembley in 2013.
  • Options
    I sure he’ll go on to be a very good player, but the way they’re all coming in their pants over this young Brazilian lad is fucking embarrassing.
    It's no different to the way the press, pundits etc. are speaking about Mainoo
  • Options
    Great to see Konsa and Gomez on, but having Konsa at RB killed our creativity down the right, and Gomez down the left wasn't an attacking force either.
  • Options
    siblers said:
    I sure he’ll go on to be a very good player, but the way they’re all coming in their pants over this young Brazilian lad is fucking embarrassing.
    It's no different to the way the press, pundits etc. are speaking about Mainoo
    And that’s OTT too.
  • Options
    Great to see Konsa and Gomez on, but having Konsa at RB killed our creativity down the right, and Gomez down the left wasn't an attacking force either.
    I very much doubt either will get in the final squad . 
  • Options
    Was at the game. 

Really missed Kane’s physical presence up top. Got the impression our midfield was controlling the play well, but Brazil’s front three looked dangerous on the break with their pace.

Not too concerned overall, as it’s just a friendly. Could do with a win Tuesday though just to put this one behind us. 
  • Options
    edited March 24
    CAFCTrev said:
    Four wins in 27 matches against them is an abysmal record.

Believe we played them more recentlyat Wembley in 2017 and it was a 0-0 draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Compare the team we finished with to a front 4 of Kane, Bellingham, Foden and Saka….. And put Shaw, Walker back into the defence. 

Cant really read much into this. That’s not our team.
    To be fair it was far from a full strength Brazil side either.

Alisson, Gabriel, Marquinhos, Casemiro, Neymar, Jesus would probably all start. 
  • Options
    Marquinhos, Casemeiro and Jesus wouldn't start for us.....
  • Options
    bit of a reality check for those who think we are going to win the WC - still not quite got enough when we come up against the very best - shame that international football is structured so we only play the very best once or twice every 2 years and the rest of the games are a formality - its why the matches are now shown on channel 4 - its boring 
  • Options
    edited March 24
    CAFCTrev said:

Tbf it's Brazil, regardless of their current quality they've always been a class above. Very few teams (if any) have a winning record against them. Except maybe Norway!
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/piCt3WJbNDE?si=wmmIM_Um9SIuAjAt

I did a vlog for this one. 

#SouthgateOut 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Tbf it's Brazil, regardless of their current quality they've always been a class above. Very few teams (if any) have a winning record against them. Except maybe Norway!
    Exactly. It's not just us, Brazil have a winning record against all the major European nations, us, Germany, Italy, Portugal, France, Spain.

Only major nation they massively struggle against is Holland, just 3 wins in 12. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Genuinely a poor, boring game of football. Our manager is unadventurous and would have been sacked long ago had an array of talent not got him some half decent tournament runs. Brazil looked extremely ordinary. The least exciting Brazil team I've ever watched I'd say, and we still couldn't beat them in what was an important friendly imo. 

We won't win the Euros with Southgate in charge. Should get out of groups fairly comfortably, and then win our first knock-out game, but we will lose to any decent side further in the tournament imo.

'Southgate would have been sacked if all the players he chose, coached and set the tactics for had not then gone on to win games' isn't really a gotcha take. It's his job to get the players to go on decent tournament runs and he has
    Especially as other England managers have had talented groups of players to work with and achieved very little. 

Southgate’s record in major tournaments must only be surpassed by Alf Ramsey at this point. 
  • Options
    edited March 24
    he appears to have got the man management bit right as well tbf - it looks like they all enjoy playing for England and there don’t appear to be any factions -  he hasn’t just sidelined Watkins now Toney is available either so Toney knows he has to earn his place and fit in rather than strolling straight in - I also like the way he has stuck by maguire - he’s built a side rather than putting the best performing players at the time on the pitch which is probably a lot easier to do 
  • Options
    edited March 24
    Can any of those calling for Southgate’s head name one better English manager? 
    Lee Carsley is the only name I'd want to see replace him.

Seeing a few on Social Media calling for Gary O'Neil, or the usual suspects of Howe or Potter - I think those are a risk of us reverting back to the England pre-Southgate... International Management isn't the same as Club Management, they don't get as much time with players for starters, to implement their ideas...

So I'd rather someone used to that side of the game already, than someone who isnt - I read as well with Howe, that his training drills are complex (Its why Lewis Miley apparently impressed him so much), sounds like an awful choice if players don't quickly get up to speed with his ideas... We saw that with Adkins, who didnt keep things simple.

Scoham said:
    Genuinely a poor, boring game of football. Our manager is unadventurous and would have been sacked long ago had an array of talent not got him some half decent tournament runs. Brazil looked extremely ordinary. The least exciting Brazil team I've ever watched I'd say, and we still couldn't beat them in what was an important friendly imo. 

We won't win the Euros with Southgate in charge. Should get out of groups fairly comfortably, and then win our first knock-out game, but we will lose to any decent side further in the tournament imo.

He is unadventurous, but how many countries in recent years have one World Cups and Euros playing exciting attacking football? Without looking back a lot of the time teams get through by keeping it tight defensively and with narrow victories.
    The Quarter-Final against France is proof of that.

They scored first, and protected their lead each time they were ahead - We dominated that game, but the French let us

Still felt we were the better team, and it would have been an interesting / nervy game had we made it 2-2
  • Options
    Was at the game. A reminder that, however prestigious the opposition is, it's not worth going to friendly matches. No intensity, mostly played at walking pace and don't think the result or performances are a realistic marker for where either team is at the moment. 

Under Roy Hodgson, we beat France, Germany and Portugal in friendlies in advance of Euro 2016. Those three got to the semi finals, we got knocked out by Iceland. Still expecting us to be very competitive at the Euros this time around. And a Brazilian victory, where they were playing against an experimental side by the time they scored, doesn't change the fact that they're not a patch on the Brazilian sides of the past and unlikely to be winning any tournaments in the near future.
  • Options

This is one reason why we now get centre forwards with higher goalscoring records than in the past. Rice is wary of Endrick and in marking him plays Vinicius onside. Endrick shoukd be considered offside though. He doesn’t receive the ball but he does score the goal. In the past this would have been offside. How can he be ’not interferring with play?' How is Rice supposed to know that the ball won’t be played forward to him first?

What I don’t understand is if this is now the rule, why not leave a player way up the pitch? If he doesn’t receive the ball in the first pass and he’s not offside then we can leave a forward on the edge of the box, can’t we? That might be an extreme example but I do so to prove a point. Surely if you’re desperate for a goal at the end of the match, you could leave Kane near their penalty box, play a ball through for a speedy Saka or Gordon, Kane steps back a bit and receives a backward pass to find himself free and composed with no marker.
    That's the rule now - it was changed because the tactic of constantly catching players offside was making games boring!

Nobody seems to use your idea so it obviously doesn't work!

• Options
    Apart from anything else, I like and admire Southgate for his treatment of players, his cool and moreover his diplomacy, the latter of which I recognise as a weakness of mine.

His reaction to the recent England flag nonsense said it all for me. My respect for him grows with every international break and tournament.

There has never been a manager whose decisions everyone agrees with but with him in charge I trust that whatever I don’t understand is to be accepted, because he’s continually demonstrated to me his superior knowledge and character.
  • Options
    Do I think Southgate is a good enough manager to be able to win an International tournament? No. 

But has he earned the right to try this summer because of the previous attempts? Sure. 

If we don't win or give a good account of ourselves then he should go, but that's for after the tournament. Not before. 
  • Options
    Do I think Southgate is a good enough manager to be able to win an International tournament? No. 

But has he earned the right to try this summer because of the previous attempts? Sure. 

If we don't win or give a good account of ourselves then he should go, but that's for after the tournament. Not before. 
    If the rumours are true then even if you don’t win it the FA will be holding out for an approach from man united and compensation rather than sacking him