Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pets

Comments

• Options
    edited May 10

We haven’t managed to get Boots to the beach yet.
    He still gets sick in the car.
    Any advice gladly received 🙏🏻💚
    There's better advice on the thread, but my best mate has to give his dog a relaxant (vet prescribed some kind of gel they rub on his gums - the dog not my mate) and the dog pretty much sleeps the journey now. Takes about 2 hours to wear off, less time if you get him out in the fresh air and moving. 

• Options
    “A Relaxant “ ie “A sedative” 
    it’s not a cure it’s a means to an end.
    Time, love and patience is a cure not a tablet. 
    Sadly a lot of people want a quick fix, they are animals not robots.
    I get asked all the time “how long does it take to get a dog trained to the standard my dogs are at? 
    The answer is the dogs age, everyday is training day, it’s all about repetition.
    Everyday my dogs visit the school, when the lead goes on and the doors open there is an acceptable level of behaviour, replace that with getting in the car everyday and you will get your results.
    It’s easy to prescribe and administer a tablet but how many people check to see want that tablet contains or it’s side effects on our animals? Many flea treatments contain chemicals with potential horrific side effects but we give them to our animals because they are advertising them on tv, so they must be ok.
    Wrong, in some cases it’s the toss of a coin, your animal maybe ok it may not it’s that simple.

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    I get asked all the time “how long does it take to get a dog trained to the standard my dogs are at? 
    The answer is the dogs age, everyday is training day, it’s all about repetition.
    Everyday my dogs visit the school, when the lead goes on and the doors open there is an acceptable level of behaviour, replace that with getting in the car everyday and you will get your results.
    It’s easy to prescribe and administer a tablet but how many people check to see want that tablet contains or it’s side effects on our animals? Many flea treatments contain chemicals with potential horrific side effects but we give them to our animals because they are advertising them on tv, so they must be ok.
    Wrong, in some cases it’s the toss of a coin, your animal maybe ok it may not it’s that simple.

Yes, the vets kept pushing flea treatment for JJ. But he hated it and would be angry with us for a day or two after. I asked advice on here and you pointed out we were effectively administering poison to the dog once a month. He has caught fleas a couple of times since but we give him a bath with a suitable shampoo and get rid of them. I suppose it helps he has a short coat and we give him a regular check with a nit comb which he absolutely loves.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

How do you go about keeping fleas at bay? My pup seems to have sensitive skin so I'd prefer to not have to use frontline or whatever. 
  • Options
    If your asking what I use?
    I use garlic.
    A crushed clove of garlic once a month in their food twice a month in the warmer months, obviously regular grooming (daily) or twice daily in the warmer months will also help keep ticks at bay. (apple cider vinegar is also a help in their water)
    Again be advised garlic is a part of the onion family which is toxic to dogs but quantities are relevant to the dogs size and I have 50kg dogs. 
    Another way to naturally treat your animals is Diatomaceous Earth is a non-toxic way to protect your dog from fleas, worms and internal parasites and is available from lot of outlets (google is your friend).
    Just sprinkled/mixed in their food.
    Just for the record, a charity our Therapy dogs used to represent had a photographic competition which Valli won with the photo below.
    The following year all Raw fed and naturally treated (No jabs, flea treatments etc) dogs were told their membership was no longer valid, no surprises the charities board was made up of high ranking directors of pharmaceutical companies and kibble manufacturers.
    You can make your own judgement on what the agenda is there!

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

This one keeps dragging me into the pub, not sure why he like it in there so muhc
    The boozer is at the top of the mountain?

Gorgeous pooch, I love brown four legged friends.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    T_C_E said:

How do you go about keeping fleas at bay? My pup seems to have sensitive skin so I'd prefer to not have to use frontline or whatever. 
    What are the issues with your dogs skin, there normally something we take for granted thats the cause!
    For example, plug in smelly things around the house, carpet cleaning fluid, air freshener, certainly dont use fly spray around your dog, it could even be its grub. 
    Drop the details on here and I'll see if I can help, if I cant I'll ask on your behalf someone that will. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Our local fruit supermarket caters for animals.

Lola barked when we got to the strawberries :)
    Good luck getting one of our dogs in there, we have to fold him in half to get him a bmw tourer 😂
    Here’s Bow, insisting the Groundstaff stop and fuss him. 😉

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    arny23394 said:
    T_C_E said:

What are the issues with your dogs skin, there normally something we take for granted thats the cause!
    For example, plug in smelly things around the house, carpet cleaning fluid, air freshener, certainly dont use fly spray around your dog, it could even be its grub. 
    Drop the details on here and I'll see if I can help, if I cant I'll ask on your behalf someone that will. ;)
    Sorry, only just seen this. He’s all sorted now, but I appreciate the willingness to help! I took him to the vets and he has dandruff mites. 
  • Options

It was nice of your wife to let you out of the cage for a photo.
  • Options
    My poor cat (12 years old) has just had more teeth out and only 4 left.  They discovered a lump in her gums and tests have revealed cancer.  She's still eating as long as I give her painkiller every morning but it's only a matter of time I guess.  Dreading making the decision even though I know it will happen soon.  Will be very hard.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    My poor cat (12 years old) has just had more teeth out and only 4 left.  They discovered a lump in her gums and tests have revealed cancer.  She's still eating as long as I give her painkiller every morning but it's only a matter of time I guess.  Dreading making the decision even though I know it will happen soon.  Will be very hard.
    Sending much love to you.
    Its an awful decision to make ♥️
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    I imagine this is sad and shocking news and a hard decision to make.
    Best wishes.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    I am what you would call a man’s man, I worked as a Truck mechanic for 35 years. 
    In the early 80, I had a hard time with both life and work. 
    I bought a Tabby cat for 50p from a corner shop in Greenwich. She became my constant companion and at times my only contact with reality. 
    She was 13 years old when I found out she was suffering from cancer, and had to make the decision to end her suffering. 
    I vividly recall holding her when she was euthanased. I also recall my tears falling from my cheeks and landing on her lovely soft coat.
    I never thought I would get over it.

• Options
    CafcWest said:
    I am what you would call a man’s man, I worked as a Truck mechanic for 35 years. 
    In the early 80, I had a hard time with both life and work. 
    I bought a Tabby cat for 50p from a corner shop in Greenwich. She became my constant companion and at times my only contact with reality. 
    She was 13 years old when I found out she was suffering from cancer, and had to make the decision to end her suffering. 
    I vividly recall holding her when she was euthanased. I also recall my tears falling from my cheeks and landing on her lovely soft coat.
    I never thought I would get over it.

Have had to have four cats put down over the years, never easy and it takes a while to get over but time is a great healer. Each of our cats had their own personality, each completely different to the others and I look back now and remember each of them with fondness and know that we gave them a great home for the time each was with us.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:

It was nice of your wife to let you out of the cage for a photo.
    The dog is better behaved, this is true.
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Just having a pint with this mook!

What's he drinking?!

A beautiful dog, what is it?
    He’s on water but he’s hoovered a bag of pork scratchings 

he’s a Hungarian Vizsla 
    Special breed.   I have 2!  🫚🫚

But, of course, they’re all special, regardless of breed.    The moggies too.   🙏🏼
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Didn’t know Les Dennis was a dog lover 
  • Options
    Remember who LDs first wife was?
  • Options
    Remember who LDs first wife was?
    A dog ?  B)
  • Options
    They are gorgeous 😻😻
  • Options
    Oh my goodness to Kit Kat and Milo.
  • Options
    It’s heartbreaking, had to say goodbye to our Newfie yesterday, Nelson 🥲