Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Interesting, I didn’t really see a place for Ness in back three so it was a bit surprising we decided to keep him, but that would explain why.

Should mean we intend to sign another CB as well as Mitchell. I’m not convinced we’ve signed Edwards with the intention of regularly playing him at CB.
  • Options
    Getting a fee for Ness would probably be the best result, he's not really kicked on and sadly I don't think he's going to reach the level we're aspiring to get to. He might well follow the route of Terrell Thomas, a solid enough career in L2/L1 but never realistically breaking into the upper leagues.
  • Options
    We let go of Hector and Thomas and if ness goes aswell with Mitchell coming in surely we still need another 2 CBs !?
  • Options
    How do you know there are funds available for players?
  • Options
    edited June 24
    We let go of Hector and Thomas and if ness goes aswell with Mitchell coming in surely we still need another 2 CBs !?
    REG, Jones, Gillesphey, Mitchell,potentially Zach Mitchell. If Jones wants two in every position that may do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 24
    Swisdom said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    sam3110 said:
    I thought the pitch upgrade was because of the women’s team now playing at the Valley?
    Same as St Helens are having their pitch upgraded because Liverpool women will be playing there.
    Nothing to do with the new owners.
    Just to be clear 🧐
    The grant only covers half the costs, and they had to agree to move the women to The Valley
    The shortfall would have been covered by the lump sum from Sky for showing  the EFL games this coming season 
    Does it ? Where in the EFL deal does it say that increased revenues for clubs need to be spent on the pitch ? Yes the club got more money from the Sky deal but it was the club that elected to spend it on Stadium infrastructure. 
    Do the maths. Pitch 1.2m.
     Grant 750k Sky Money 450k

Your view is a little simplistic.  All the other clubs have the extra sky money to spend on players but we've chosen to improve our pitch.

There are funds in place for players - we just aren't going to waste it just because the fans are demanding it.  If the right player is available at the right price we will pay it!  This is not the club scrimping and saving - this is being sensible.  These people didn't make loads of money by being wasteful so lets wait and see how it all pans out before we get too disheartened
    The discussion was about the cost of the pitch when mentioned by KB Little Sis

No mention of owners, no mention of funds on players that is available to spend from myself

Just about how the shortfall was covered to pay for it. No guarantee they would not have forked out for it anyway. 

• Options
    Nah.
    I meant funds available to improve the situation in terms of signing players.

• Options
    follett said:
    REG, Jones, Gillesphey, Mitchell, Elewere, potentially Zach Mitchell. If Jones wants two in every position that may do it.
    We want to go up though!

Jones had a poor season then went out of favour for whatever reason who knows if hes in our plans moving forwards

Z Mitchell young and still unproven not what we need for a promotion push

Elewere has gone mate no longer our player

Gillesphey / REG only players there half decent
  • Options
    Mitchell, Mitchell, Gillesphey, Edmonds-Green, Jones, Edwards. If you want Zach Mitchell to go on loan then yes 2 more, but I think we'll see Edwards utilitised as a LCB quite a bit
  • Options
    I'd still expect a veteran CB to come in as depth , someone that could do a Jason Pearce type role - wouldn't play every week but could be invaluable over a season. I know Sonny Bradley's name has been doing the rounds but I can't see that happening despite the Jones links. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    sam3110 said:
    I thought the pitch upgrade was because of the women’s team now playing at the Valley?
    Same as St Helens are having their pitch upgraded because Liverpool women will be playing there.
    Just to be clear 🧐
    The grant only covers half the costs, and they had to agree to move the women to The Valley
    The shortfall would have been covered by the lump sum from Sky for showing  the EFL games this coming season 
    Does it ? Where in the EFL deal does it say that increased revenues for clubs need to be spent on the pitch ? Yes the club got more money from the Sky deal but it was the club that elected to spend it on Stadium infrastructure. 

But the Sky money could have been used on hot cross buns or used to reduce losses. It wasn’t. It was invested into the club. It’s not hard.
  • Options
    follett said:
    REG, Jones, Gillesphey, Mitchell, Elewere, potentially Zach Mitchell. If Jones wants two in every position that may do it.
    We want to go up though!

Jones had a poor season then went out of favour for whatever reason who knows if hes in our plans moving forwards

Z Mitchell young and still unproven not what we need for a promotion push

Elewere has gone mate no longer our player

Gillesphey / REG only players there half decent
    Yeah sorry forgot about Deji. Gillesphey, REG, and A Mitchell all solid in my eyes. I personally rate Jones as well and as a back up option I think he is very solid. Likewise with Z Mitchell, young and unproven but if he stays he would be a backup. I'd be surprised if we look to bring in another starting CB and would probably only expect us to bring in a backup if we send Zach out on loan.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Just to be clear 🧐

But the Sky money could have been used on hot cross buns or used to reduce losses. It wasn’t. It was invested into the club. It’s not hard.
    I know it was invested into the club. Also thanks to the Hard work of Louise McGing with her application,  got the grant money for the club
  • Options
    follett said:
    REG, Jones, Gillesphey, Mitchell,potentially Zach Mitchell. If Jones wants two in every position that may do it.
    That would only leave 4 or 5 for 6 spots if we're playing three at the back, which apparently we are. I would imagine we'll go out for a left sided CB as I got the impression Jones didn't like Gillesphey very much. REG and Mitchell are both RCBs in that shape, Jones would be the middle man and I think we'll probably see Edwards playing LWB more than centre back but I could be wrong. I'd expect someone to potentially come in ahead of Lloyd Jones as well, Sonny Bradley was mentioned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Ness going for a fee would make sense , just feel like he needs a fresh start and regular football. Would think he'd stay at this level too. 
    I'd be very surprised. 
  • Options
    edited June 24
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Just to be clear 🧐

I know it was invested into the club. Also thanks to the Hard work of Louise McGing with her application,  got the grant money for the club
    Yes well done Louise and well done the EFL. Why does it pain you to give/allow any credit to other parties?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Nah.
    I meant funds available to improve the situation in terms of signing players.

I’m sure we’ll pay fees for a few players just as we did in January. Might be funded by sales, but no issue with that if we go into September with a stronger squad.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Just to be clear 🧐

Yes well done Louise and well done the EFL. Why does it pain you to give/allow any credit to other parties?
    Pain me? In what respect? I have already mentioned that the owners may have covered that shortfall for it anyway
  • Options
    he’d definitely be a championship level player 

I disagree completely. And I suspect its a big part of the reason why we're listening to offers.

One of the things I've really enjoyed about 'Where's the money gone?' is Methven's insights into how the club operates. There is a clear plan to sign players that are either capable of stepping up to the Championship or at least have the potential to. They don't want the club to go up only to come straight back down. Some might consider it 'running before you can walk', but whether you agree with it or not, it is at least a clear thought process.

In my book May is a very good league 1 striker, that probably wont be successful in the Championship (a theory I'd suggest is supported by the fact no Championship club has ever taken a punt on him).

IF we were to get promoted next season, Alfie would be 32 before even playing a Championship game. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but by and large strikers at 32 have their best days behind them. So if someone were to offer us over £1m for a player not deemed indispensable by Jones, and we were able to find suitable replacements. Would it be that crazy to sell him?
    Regarding your third paragraph, Lyle Taylor was never looked at by championship sides, until we were promoted with him. He then secured a move to Nottingham Forest and had a loan with a championship side. 

Alfie May outscored Lyle for us, so really, unless May plays at a championship level, you can't really say for sure if he isn't a championship player based on the fact no championship clubs have taken a punt, as Lyle was in the same boat. 

Regarding the fee, if the club were to be given the chance to buy out of the league for 1 million, they'd take that. So why would they sell a player for that fee when he heavily increases our chances on promotion? 

Whichever way it's spun, it's genuinely mental talk to justify the sale of May. The only way you could is if he was sold and you replaced him with players better, younger and, we still achieve promotion. Which is an absolute fairy tale, our odds are far better keeping him, history has shown us losing our top scorer doesn't work in our favour. 
    It'll cost more to try and replace him than give him a salary increase.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Just to be clear 🧐

Pain me? In what respect? I have already mentioned that the owners may have covered that shortfall for it anyway
    In your third post on the topic, after someone else spelled it out irrefutably.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    seth plum said:
    The way to judge if Jones knows what he is doing is if we secure automatic promotion at the end of the coming season.
    OK if we win the playoffs it will be acceptable.
    Anything else is failure.
    This doesn’t leave any room for the context of a season though? Birmingham and Huddersfield both have serious cash and will likely be the promoted sides, anything can happen in the playoffs with Posh, Rotherham and Bolton all still being here. I don’t think it’s a case that if we don’t get promoted it has been a failure of a season. 
    Anything but promotion is a failure.
    Have you seen how strong this league is .. there are 10 teams who would expect to be top 6 this season , only 3 spaces to go up !!!  that not failure 
    What would you say the aim is this season then? If you answer anything other than 'promotion' you are lying. And therefore if we don't get promoted the season has been a failure.

However the caveat here would be that there are of course different levels of failure. If for example we were to make the play offs and not go up then that would still be determined by most sensible fans as decent progress. Another season languishing in mid-table (or lower) would be a disaster.
    Top 6 is the aim .. as I say like 10 others who gets the luck with injuries , referee decisions…