Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    IF its a permanent contract and a long term one, I wouldn't be against selling May and signing Taylor
  • Options
    The Joe Taylor link is an odd one. I'd be very surprised if Luton were willing to let him go permanently given they're back in the Championship and he's only 21so there's likely much more to come from him. Would also indicate that it's not May's style that's the problem given we'd be replacing him with a 5ft7 striker, but something in the area of a personality clash or a desire to cash in. Though selling a 31 year old striker and replacing him for similar or the same money with a quicker 21 year old version wouldn't be the worst business on the face of it. A loan would not fill me with quite as much excitement though
    There is no link. As usual, people on here just throw around some names and a few hours later we're buying them. I know this is the rumours thread but I didnt realise it was also the "let's just make up some bollox" thread. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    AndyG said:
    I love Alfie and don’t want him to go but if it’s true that another club has offered £1.5m I will drive him there myself. That’s a great deal for him at the final stages of his career and also us. The club would be crazy to turn that down imo
    How do you know the owners would re-invest the fee in new players if he does go?
    They will .. 
    ok … so when is May leaving? 
  • Options
    If the owners were serious, they'd keep May and sign Taylor anyway :smile:

Doesn't have to be a choice between the two. Them two plus Leaburn would be a promotion level strike force. 

This is exactly what I'd do. May and Taylor ( even on loan) would be a serious statement at this level. Leaburn then can be properly managed back to fitness along with Chuks. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Doesn't have to be a choice between the two. Them two plus Leaburn would be a promotion level strike force. 

This is exactly what I'd do. May and Taylor ( even on loan) would be a serious statement at this level. Leaburn then can be properly managed back to fitness along with Chuks. 
    But we know the new guy will get crocked at Welling and Alfie will be sent off in the first game, for handball after stumbling over Aneke's knackered leg.
  • Options
    The Joe Taylor link is an odd one. I'd be very surprised if Luton were willing to let him go permanently given they're back in the Championship and he's only 21so there's likely much more to come from him. Would also indicate that it's not May's style that's the problem given we'd be replacing him with a 5ft7 striker, but something in the area of a personality clash or a desire to cash in. Though selling a 31 year old striker and replacing him for similar or the same money with a quicker 21 year old version wouldn't be the worst business on the face of it. A loan would not fill me with quite as much excitement though
    There is no link. As usual, people on here just throw around some names and a few hours later we're buying them. I know this is the rumours thread but I didnt realise it was also the "let's just make up some bollox" thread. 
    But everyone’s taking the fact that May is leaving for gospel and crying even though a bid has been rejected.
  • Options
    edited June 23
    stonemuse said:
    AndyG said:
    I love Alfie and don’t want him to go but if it’s true that another club has offered £1.5m I will drive him there myself. That’s a great deal for him at the final stages of his career and also us. The club would be crazy to turn that down imo
    How do you know the owners would re-invest the fee in new players if he does go?
    I know experience tells us not to trust a word our owners say, but the alleged bids for Clarke-Harris and Collins, combined with the fact i don't think we'd have managed to get Jones as manager without a promise to him of funds being available, suggests to me we are prepared to spend money.

Cawley also said it was quite likely that we wouldn't let May go without 1-2 strikers lined up to come in first.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I think the panic on here is a little misplaced at the moment.  Let's look at the facts

Yes we had a shocking season last year.  Inescapable fact it wasn't good enough.

But let's look at how we performed once Nathan was in place.  Look at the difference in the team at the end of the season.  We went on a crazy unbeaten run in a really short space of time.  We looked physically stronger and harder to bully and to beat and we got some excellent results.  That was with new faces and a new style.  Square pegs in round holes you could say

We had multiple new faces come in and do a good job.  So we ended the season MUCH stronger than the preceding months.  Now we have improved the goalkeeping department (one more to come I believe), we've signed one of the better central defenders in the division last season (to the annoyance of a lot of Millwall fans), we've signed a midfielder who was last seen scoring in the Premier League last season  We have an even stronger Miles Leaburn on his way back into the team and added strength to the left hand side.  We are not done yet but the spine of the team arguable already is stronger and will get stronger still.  We've got Campbell committed to us for a couple more years and it was clear Nathan has played a part in his mini resurgence at the end of the season so hopefully he can build on that this year and show us what he is capable of more consistently - he needed an arm around the shoulder and I think Nathan is perfect for that.

We've released many of the players who were not good enough or who did not fit in with Nathan's way of playing and I dare say there will be a few more leaving us.

Nathan wanted his squad in place in place for pre season "barring one or two" so let's see what they can pull out of the hat this week but we are already continuing in the right direction.

The obvious elephants in the room are Dobbo and May.  Dobbo made the decision to move on so we need to learn to live with that.  Rightly or wrongly it turned out that way.  As for May - we still don't know what the latest update is but it's all gone quiet on that front.  My guess is he won't be seen in a Charlton shirt again and it's a big shame but if the gaffer wants to go in a different direction AND we can double or treble our money on him then I'm afraid we probably have to get used to that fact. We need to comply with financial fair play so we can't realistically just get the owner to plough money into the club - it doesn't work that way any more.  So if a good offer comes in for ANY player then it's only right that we listen.

For what it's worth I still think Alfie has a lot to offer us and I would love him to stay but from my last conversation with him he told me he needs to be playing and earning as much as possible given the short length of a football career.  Who is to say he didn't get tapped up a while ago and get unsettled?  We just don't know and likely never will.

I just want the new season to start so we can start actually supporting the team rather than sitting on here sniping and picking apart every word uttered.  

As I've said many many times now - it's never easy being an Addick....but I wouldn't change it for the world.  It always has been and always will be my team.  OUR TEAM.  We as fans have a part to play in supporting the club, the players and recognising the MASSIVE progress going on behind the scenes.  We are getting our ducks lined up in a nice row - now it's just the hard part to do....winning games.

COYA
    Good post with a lot of common sense, fingers crossed we have a couple good weeks in the transfer market.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:

"Along with Chuks" :D
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    But everyone’s taking the fact that May is leaving for gospel and crying even though a bid has been rejected.
    Our fantastic management team are obviously open to a sale, if not, a statement should have been made saying we're not interested in selling.
    So every time someone bids for a player you have to come out and say he’s not for sale, for one that hardly ever happens and for two every player has their price.
    Of course, everybody has their price.

However, we need to keep our best players and build on that, not replace.
  • Options
    From what @Swisdom says above about his last conversation with Alfie I’m taking that to mean that he’s off. He’s obviously open to that anyway.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Our fantastic management team are obviously open to a sale, if not, a statement should have been made saying we're not interested in selling.
    So every time someone bids for a player you have to come out and say he’s not for sale, for one that hardly ever happens and for two every player has their price.

If Jones has a style and system he thinks will work without May then I’m open to it.
    i like May he was quality last season but I can see why Jones might want to try something different. But I don’t understand the whole we need to come out and say he’s not for sale because every player is . He’s not getting no younger at 31 so if we can get 1m plus and he wants to go then we move on . I’m not gonna worry or moan about it until I see what sort of squad we have by the first game of the season .
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:

If Jones has a style and system he thinks will work without May then I’m open to it.
    i like May he was quality last season but I can see why Jones might want to try something different. But I don’t understand the whole we need to come out and say he’s not for sale because every player is . He’s not getting no younger at 31 so if we can get 1m plus and he wants to go then we move on . I’m not gonna worry or moan about it until I see what sort of squad we have by the first game of the season .
    I'm impressed with the signing of Edwards.

On balance, I would say good luck to May and hope he gets a contract that will set him up very nicely in life.....should he go.
  • Options
    just been talking to Andy Scott, he’s agreed an over five figure sale of Alfie to Hearts and Hearts are loaning Scott Fraser to us for nothing. Good business from any angle. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

May and Taylor? Let's bring back the Mercury while we're at it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 23
    Swisdom said:
    I think the panic on here is a little misplaced at the moment.  Let's look at the facts

Yes we had a shocking season last year.  Inescapable fact it wasn't good enough.

But let's look at how we performed once Nathan was in place.  Look at the difference in the team at the end of the season.  We went on a crazy unbeaten run in a really short space of time.  We looked physically stronger and harder to bully and to beat and we got some excellent results.  That was with new faces and a new style.  Square pegs in round holes you could say

We had multiple new faces come in and do a good job.  So we ended the season MUCH stronger than the preceding months.  Now we have improved the goalkeeping department (one more to come I believe), we've signed one of the better central defenders in the division last season (to the annoyance of a lot of Millwall fans), we've signed a midfielder who was last seen scoring in the Premier League last season  We have an even stronger Miles Leaburn on his way back into the team and added strength to the left hand side.  We are not done yet but the spine of the team arguable already is stronger and will get stronger still.  We've got Campbell committed to us for a couple more years and it was clear Nathan has played a part in his mini resurgence at the end of the season so hopefully he can build on that this year and show us what he is capable of more consistently - he needed an arm around the shoulder and I think Nathan is perfect for that.

We've released many of the players who were not good enough or who did not fit in with Nathan's way of playing and I dare say there will be a few more leaving us.

Nathan wanted his squad in place in place for pre season "barring one or two" so let's see what they can pull out of the hat this week but we are already continuing in the right direction.

The obvious elephants in the room are Dobbo and May.  Dobbo made the decision to move on so we need to learn to live with that.  Rightly or wrongly it turned out that way.  As for May - we still don't know what the latest update is but it's all gone quiet on that front.  My guess is he won't be seen in a Charlton shirt again and it's a big shame but if the gaffer wants to go in a different direction AND we can double or treble our money on him then I'm afraid we probably have to get used to that fact. We need to comply with financial fair play so we can't realistically just get the owner to plough money into the club - it doesn't work that way any more.  So if a good offer comes in for ANY player then it's only right that we listen.

For what it's worth I still think Alfie has a lot to offer us and I would love him to stay but from my last conversation with him he told me he needs to be playing and earning as much as possible given the short length of a football career.  Who is to say he didn't get tapped up a while ago and get unsettled?  We just don't know and likely never will.

I just want the new season to start so we can start actually supporting the team rather than sitting on here sniping and picking apart every word uttered.  

As I've said many many times now - it's never easy being an Addick....but I wouldn't change it for the world.  It always has been and always will be my team.  OUR TEAM.  We as fans have a part to play in supporting the club, the players and recognising the MASSIVE progress going on behind the scenes.  We are getting our ducks lined up in a nice row - now it's just the hard part to do....winning games.

COYA
    Can I ask what you refer to by this?

Im not challenging you just not sure what things you are referring to which I might not know about or have forgotten. 

Looking to be enthused I guess. 
    I think @Swisdom has alluded before to this, in as much as the matchday experience has been improved in a number of ways, with new foods, beers etc, also general unseen things that we as supporters may not be aware, plus of course the much reported on upgrade to The Valley pitch, maybe he could enlarge on this, forgive me Swisdom if I have got this  wrong...🙄
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

COYA

Im not challenging you just not sure what things you are referring to which I might not know about or have forgotten. 

I think @Swisdom has alluded before to this, in as much as the matchday experience has been improved in a number of ways, with new foods, beers etc, also general unseen things that we as supporters may not be aware, plus of course the much reported on upgrade to The Valley pitch, maybe he could enlarge on this, forgive me Swisdom if I have got this  wrong...🙄
    I bet there is still bird s*** on broken seats though :)
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

COYA

I think @Swisdom has alluded before to this, in as much as the matchday experience has been improved in a number of ways, with new foods, beers etc, and general unseen things that we as supporters may not be aware, plus of course the much reported on upgrade to The Valley pitch, maybe he could enlarge on this, forgive me Swisdom if I have got this  wrong...🙄
    I'm also by no means ITK but I do recall that in the dying days of the Sandgaard regime the staff who actually ran things on a day to day basis were somewhere between unhappy and outright mutinous according to multiple accounts.This at least no longer appears to be the case.

Of course the situation on the pitch and regarding the actual team is still very much up in the air and will rightfully be the focus of attention and debate - but at present it does appear that things are better than before in at least SOME ways.

(And I say that as someone who remains firmly distrustful of Methven in general.)
  • Options
    edited June 23
    Swisdom said:

COYA

I bet there is still bird s*** on broken seats though :)

You can always get an extra serviette when you buy your pie "n" pint, and give it a wipe...🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    edited June 24

Hold fast on the Leaburn assertion.
    I, like everyone else, have my fingers firmly crossed for the lad but he has a way to go yet to be an automatic first choice striker on the team sheet.
    I am not being doom and gloom but that’s the reality of the situation.

• Options
    @Swindon You need to get in May’s wife’s ear and tell her the women’s clothes shops are sh!t in Huddersfield.  
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

COYA
    Yes, we went on a great unbeaten run from after the Reading match....but how many of those games did we win ? 4  yes  FOUR. Out of 15. Lots of 1-1 draws. 

Hopefully we have sorted out the defence but one area we really, really need addressing is up front, which includes attacking midfielders & wide players. 

I'm still waiting for the announcement that we've signed  x who scored 8 from midfield last season, 4 direct from a free kick. Or y who's assists last season included 5 from corners. 

Until then its same old same old.