Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Debatably the hardest & most expensive position to fill is striker.
    I really, really hope we spend a big wedge on one soon.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:
    Doesn't pre-season start next Thursday? I thought we would have done more business by now if I'm being honest. Hopefully a busy week ahead.
    Technically it’s 4 players if Mitchell is done which is a lot more than usual before pre season, I think Jones has put un needed pressure on himself by saying it’ll be done when in hindsight it’s so rare to have your squad sorted by then but hopefully 2/3 next week and that’ll take us up to 6/7 which isn’t to bad.
    Still not enough & the 4 or 5 new players ncludes 2 GK's. We are still a very long way off assembling a squad that could get top 6, let alone automatic promotion. I'm not sure if a couple of defenders, 2 GK's & a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 could be described as squad rebuilding. 

Ho hum. 

I get where your coming from Golfie, we’re miles off at the moment, but let’s hope we are in a much better place with signings in a months time.

Football forums, and patience don’t seem to go hand in hand.
    The difference this year is Jones set the expectation that the squad would largely be in place in time for preseason.

With that being less than a week away it’s not looking like it’ll happen. We need around 8-10 signings and a handful of players to move on.
    Did he say he will have the squad in place or he would like to have the majority of the squad in place?

the problem is that the majority want it to be the first statement and are hanging on it, winding themselves up and others up because they can’t see it happening.

if and I know it’s an if and we have 2-3 in next week and another 2-3 in during the rest of the window, jones has got his wish. And that is a lot of our business (not all) done in time for pre season training.
    Here’s what he said after we signed Mannion.

“We’d like to get the squad completed by our return date of June 27th,” he said. “We’ve worked tirelessly for the last three to four weeks in terms of arranging meetings with players. We’re trying to be bold in our recruitment. 

“I’m sure that by the time that we do get to the first day of pre-season, we’ll have the majority, if not all, of our squad in place. That’s so important because pre-season is a real big time, an important time to gel the squad and lay down certain things.

I must have missed Jones stating how many players he is going to sign and in which positions.
    I am guessing another GK, a striker and an attacking midfielder, but would appreciate the facts.
    Cheers.
    True, he's never stated how many players he wants in & maybe he's happy with just the ones we've signed plus Mitchell, a GK and A.N.Other.

But if so its not enough & we will struggle massively. But all we can do is wait & see.  
    It is possible he doesn't want many more signings. We have:

3 keepers
    LB: Small, Edun, Edwards
    CB: REG, Jones, Gillesphey, Mitchell, Ness
    RB: Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe
    Midfield: Berry, Coventry, Anderson, Taylor
    Wingers: Campbell 
    Strikers: May, Chuks, Leaburn, Kanu

I've not included the younger kids or people like Fraser who will likely go.

So that's already a 23 man squad when Mitchell signs. Assumption would be that we will definitely add a striker and then i guess we probably need a wide attacker/winger and an attacking midfielder.

Beyond that i can't see us signing anyone else unless a player leaves (like May). Highly unlikely we're going to be making another 5/6/7 signings, especially when Jones has previously said he wanted a smaller, more streamlined squad.

That squad is far too similar to the one which ended the season 
    Jesus. Pre season hasn’t started, fixtures not announced, euro group stages not complete, squad numbers not announced. Players contracts still have a few days to run.

i suggest that comments like this are put on hold for a month, then we can assess and comment on the depth and quality of the squad.

Said every year about this time when old sages's like myself can see the writing on the wall.

IF we sold Alfie for £1.5M & IF that money was spent on a decent replacement (ie, a proven goalscorer at this level who will get you 15-20 goals a season) then I would begrudgingly concede it's a good deal.

But it wont. We'll buy 1 or 2 of the goalscorers previously mentioned who'll end up with 8 or 10 goals.....with everyone saying it's up to the rest of the team to make up the shortfall.

Which is the problem as we've not had other players chipping in with 6 or 7 goals......apart from JRS & CBT who left and have not been replaced. 

So again, one of the reasons why we need another 6 or 7 players is that our current squad DOESN'T  SCORE  GOALS.

And relax. 
    People won’t like it, but Golfie is not wrong. We haven’t ever replaced any of the quality we have either lost or sold, and now the only real proven quality we’ve got left who has played for us before looks like he’s being sold.

We need around 7 very, very good players anyway, that’s bloody hard enough as it is. 8 if May leaves is even harder.

What I simply don’t understand is lots of people are saying we’ll just go and sign May’s replacement and a younger version or we’ll sign two strikers for the cost of what we’d get for May or whatever else. But if it was that simple, why would Huddersfield be after the top goal scorer in the league when they could sign other, younger, less expensive strikers? They want May because they know he’ll score 20+ goals next season, that’s why.

Of course, there is a long way to go yet and the season doesn’t start for another 7 weeks. However, don’t put the pressure on to say we’re trying to have the squad pretty much complete by the start of pre-season, which is just 5 days away, and we need more than 5 top quality signings.

Also tired of seeing Coventry being better than Dobson when we simply haven’t seen it at all. He’s only 2 years younger than Dobson and has not even played 100 games yet whereas Dobson has played over 300. George seemingly just another player who really needs to be replaced. 

This isn’t being doom and gloom, it’s just we are nowhere near strong enough for what we need to achieve and there is so much more to do, on and off the pitch, that letting the only one in the team who scores goals leave is quite frankly mental right now.
    I wish I could like this post more than once. Well said that man!
    More than 60 people have "liked" the post which is probably one of the most I've ever seen. 

So can I take some credit for it seeing as @Sage was saying what I said but just more eloquently .
    This is really kind of sad, tbh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not got Twitter (X)...
    Someone just posted on Huddersfield forum called Chris Reader...🤷‍♂️,claiming to have seen Alfie today playing cricket, and heard him saying he is hoping to get deal done by the weekend...
    Don't know how much in true, just hope none of it...🤞
    Was he batting or bowling?this could be significant…
    Actually I assume batting and he’d be most comfortable at the…. Striker’s end, I imagine. 

Nice to see you all. And I will get my coat.
    Correct, and he looked like he was just out for a 🦆
  • Options
    I would like to think the directors wouldn't face the supporters on the 27th without more positive news on the transfer front
  • Options
    I would like to think the directors wouldn't face the supporters on the 27th without more positive news on the transfer front
    Still time to cancel 
  • Options
    Not got Twitter (X)...
    Someone just posted on Huddersfield forum called Chris Reader...🤷‍♂️,claiming to have seen Alfie today playing cricket, and heard him saying he is hoping to get deal done by the weekend...
    Don't know how much in true, just hope none of it...🤞
    Alfie doesn’t like cricket….. he loves it..
    Doubt he would be playing cricket in Kent if the deal was that close he would be in hotel in Huddersfield taking terms etc etc ..

RC has stated nothing changed and that they expect May back on Thursday  
  • Options
    It’s still very simple .. Jones has told him his plans for next season .. the decision rests 100% with May does he want to stay but not most likey as a starter or jump ship and go back up north .. the club want him to stay but it’s down to the relationship between Jones and May … plus the manager of Huddersfield is someone who May describes as the person who done more for him then anyone else ??? 
    You're right - that's incredibly simple.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann897 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Hate to say it but starting to feel like summer 2023 repeat. 
    this is all getting a bit embarrassing we’re not even back in pre season yet and everyone’s wetting the bed about transfers, we’ve brought in 3 already with Mitchell supposedly done. That’s more than we normally would have had and more than a lot of other teams people need to have a bit of patience. 
    I don’t agree. NJ has said all along about the importance of having the squad together for pre season, from the start. He’s said he wants the majority, if not all, of business done before they report back on 27th. In that context I don’t see current concerns as bed wetting.

Four in, if we include Mitchell, is a million miles from where we need to be. Yes it’s early days but NJ set the parameters that we are working to, not us, so it’s not unreasonable to expect the Club to deliver.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I would say all the wet mattresses will dry up if we win our first ten league matches in a row.
    That is the very least I expect under our billionaires, followed by winning the next twenty league matches in a row.
    If that happens with or without Alfie then as a season ticket holder I will be happy.
    Here we go again
  • Options
    Getting the players in early is the ideal but it takes two to tango. Other clubs will be doing what Charlton are allegedly doing with Alfie. Securing a replacement before allowing the player to leave, and so it goes on. Add in players wanting to wait to see if a better offer comes along and agents trying to get more blood out of the stone and I’d say the aspirations for getting eight or nine players in was at best hopeful. At some point the damn will break but I’m astonished that so many people can’t see that it’s really hard to get done. The only way it’s doable is by offering wages that blow everyone else out of the water. We know that’s not smart and shouldn’t be done. 

Including NJ it would seem who is the one who set this deadline and set the expectations and then doubled down on it when we signed Mannion.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Oh dear. Last thing we need is Scott Fraser moping about the place. 
    I have always thought that Scott Fraser is a very talented footballer.

With the right players around him, he could easily hold his own and do a good job.

However it all depends whether Scott Fraser decides to turn up and try!
    Nope, he's absolutely wank and just flops about the place like a wet lettuce