Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:
    Doesn't pre-season start next Thursday? I thought we would have done more business by now if I'm being honest. Hopefully a busy week ahead.
    Technically it’s 4 players if Mitchell is done which is a lot more than usual before pre season, I think Jones has put un needed pressure on himself by saying it’ll be done when in hindsight it’s so rare to have your squad sorted by then but hopefully 2/3 next week and that’ll take us up to 6/7 which isn’t to bad.
    Still not enough & the 4 or 5 new players ncludes 2 GK's. We are still a very long way off assembling a squad that could get top 6, let alone automatic promotion. I'm not sure if a couple of defenders, 2 GK's & a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 could be described as squad rebuilding. 

Ho hum. 

I get where your coming from Golfie, we’re miles off at the moment, but let’s hope we are in a much better place with signings in a months time.

Football forums, and patience don’t seem to go hand in hand.
    The difference this year is Jones set the expectation that the squad would largely be in place in time for preseason.

With that being less than a week away it’s not looking like it’ll happen. We need around 8-10 signings and a handful of players to move on.
    Did he say he will have the squad in place or he would like to have the majority of the squad in place?

the problem is that the majority want it to be the first statement and are hanging on it, winding themselves up and others up because they can’t see it happening.

if and I know it’s an if and we have 2-3 in next week and another 2-3 in during the rest of the window, jones has got his wish. And that is a lot of our business (not all) done in time for pre season training.
    Here’s what he said after we signed Mannion.

“We’d like to get the squad completed by our return date of June 27th,” he said. “We’ve worked tirelessly for the last three to four weeks in terms of arranging meetings with players. We’re trying to be bold in our recruitment. 

“I’m sure that by the time that we do get to the first day of pre-season, we’ll have the majority, if not all, of our squad in place. That’s so important because pre-season is a real big time, an important time to gel the squad and lay down certain things.

I must have missed Jones stating how many players he is going to sign and in which positions.
    I am guessing another GK, a striker and an attacking midfielder, but would appreciate the facts.
    Cheers.
    True, he's never stated how many players he wants in & maybe he's happy with just the ones we've signed plus Mitchell, a GK and A.N.Other.

But if so its not enough & we will struggle massively. But all we can do is wait & see.  
    It is possible he doesn't want many more signings. We have:

3 keepers
    LB: Small, Edun, Edwards
    CB: REG, Jones, Gillesphey, Mitchell, Ness
    RB: Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe
    Midfield: Berry, Coventry, Anderson, Taylor
    Wingers: Campbell 
    Strikers: May, Chuks, Leaburn, Kanu

I've not included the younger kids or people like Fraser who will likely go.

So that's already a 23 man squad when Mitchell signs. Assumption would be that we will definitely add a striker and then i guess we probably need a wide attacker/winger and an attacking midfielder.

Beyond that i can't see us signing anyone else unless a player leaves (like May). Highly unlikely we're going to be making another 5/6/7 signings, especially when Jones has previously said he wanted a smaller, more streamlined squad.

That squad is far too similar to the one which ended the season 
    Even assuming Edwards is better than Edun and Berry is better than Fiorini/ Bakinson , the squad isn’t any stronger, having lost Dobson.  
    Coventry far better long term then Dobson so already Coventry Berry and one other is looking a far better midfield then Dobson and Anderson 

NO HE ISN'T...you really do have a hang up on Dobson don't you...🤦‍♂️
    I’d say Coventry has a much higher ceiling and potential than Dobson has. 
    That’s as maybe…..but unfortunately we’ve yet to see it.😕
  • Options
    edited June 22
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:
    Doesn't pre-season start next Thursday? I thought we would have done more business by now if I'm being honest. Hopefully a busy week ahead.
    Technically it’s 4 players if Mitchell is done which is a lot more than usual before pre season, I think Jones has put un needed pressure on himself by saying it’ll be done when in hindsight it’s so rare to have your squad sorted by then but hopefully 2/3 next week and that’ll take us up to 6/7 which isn’t to bad.
    Still not enough & the 4 or 5 new players ncludes 2 GK's. We are still a very long way off assembling a squad that could get top 6, let alone automatic promotion. I'm not sure if a couple of defenders, 2 GK's & a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 could be described as squad rebuilding. 

Ho hum. 

I get where your coming from Golfie, we’re miles off at the moment, but let’s hope we are in a much better place with signings in a months time.

The difference this year is Jones set the expectation that the squad would largely be in place in time for preseason.

With that being less than a week away it’s not looking like it’ll happen. We need around 8-10 signings and a handful of players to move on.
    Did he say he will have the squad in place or he would like to have the majority of the squad in place?

the problem is that the majority want it to be the first statement and are hanging on it, winding themselves up and others up because they can’t see it happening.

if and I know it’s an if and we have 2-3 in next week and another 2-3 in during the rest of the window, jones has got his wish. And that is a lot of our business (not all) done in time for pre season training.

“We’d like to get the squad completed by our return date of June 27th,” he said. “We’ve worked tirelessly for the last three to four weeks in terms of arranging meetings with players. We’re trying to be bold in our recruitment. 

“I’m sure that by the time that we do get to the first day of pre-season, we’ll have the majority, if not all, of our squad in place. That’s so important because pre-season is a real big time, an important time to gel the squad and lay down certain things.

I must have missed Jones stating how many players he is going to sign and in which positions.
    I am guessing another GK, a striker and an attacking midfielder, but would appreciate the facts.
    Cheers.
    True, he's never stated how many players he wants in & maybe he's happy with just the ones we've signed plus Mitchell, a GK and A.N.Other.

But if so its not enough & we will struggle massively. But all we can do is wait & see.  

3 keepers

So that's already a 23 man squad when Mitchell signs. Assumption would be that we will definitely add a striker and then i guess we probably need a wide attacker/winger and an attacking midfielder.

Beyond that i can't see us signing anyone else unless a player leaves (like May). Highly unlikely we're going to be making another 5/6/7 signings, especially when Jones has previously said he wanted a smaller, more streamlined squad.

Even assuming Edwards is better than Edun and Berry is better than Fiorini/ Bakinson , the squad isn’t any stronger, having lost Dobson.  
    Coventry far better long term then Dobson so already Coventry Berry and one other is looking a far better midfield then Dobson and Anderson 

That’s as maybe…..but unfortunately we’ve yet to see it.😕
    He definitely has, but it might be so high it is beyond his reach.
  • Options
    edited June 22
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

Delusional! or blinkered?!

• Options
    Brownie12 said:
    Steven81 said:
    We need some statement signings with all the money we didn't spend on Collins etc 
    Berry not come cheap .. 
    who signed him? Yoda? 
    “Do or do not. There is no try.”...🙏
  • Options
    I hope Andy Scott is in Germany and signs Martin the Magyar Adam the 6f 3in, 88 kg striker from Hungary that scores for fun in South korea and looks like a Viking.
    In the mediocre League 1 he would be a revelation if a team plays with wing backs and can cross from both sides.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

If he learns how to tackle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope Andy Scott is in Hamburg and can sign a couple of Georgian Vili's 🧐
  • Options
    edited June 22
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

And yet in all his apperances last season he never really looked outstanding, (possible exception of Derby away) -certainly not compared to the likes Cullen, Aribo and Gallagher, who really did have a higher ceiling.
    I hope you’re right though of course. I just don’t think West Ham would have given him away for nought if they’d rated him  👍
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

Is he Edwardian?
    Georgian, surely?
  • Options
    I hope Andy Scott is in Germany and signs Martin the Magyar Adam the 6f 3in, 88 kg striker from Hungary that scores for fun in South korea and looks like a Viking.
    In the mediocre League 1 he would be a revelation if a team plays with wing backs and can cross from both sides.

Certainly passes the height test at 6'3", and looks an animal...

• Options
    edited June 22
    Just noticed that they are cutting and pasting quotes from Reams on the Huddersfield Forum about Alfie, not sure why, maybe they are concerned why nothing has happened yet...and maybe not gonna happen🤔
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

I think Edwards will start on the left of a back 3 and reg on the right. They will cover the wind backs allowing them to get a lot higher up the pitch.

the squad is taking shape with still plenty of time to improve it further 
    On paper, the concept of Davies in goal behind a defence of REG, Mitchell and Edwards with Ramsay and Small as WBs looks pretty decent - whether it works out that way remains to seen of course.

And even if it does, there's still lots of work to be done with strikers and midfield. I'm generally quite happy with the business done so far but we need to do lots more of it.

This.

Currently I'm rating it 5/10. More players needed and of good quality. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

Jesus. Pre season hasn’t started, fixtures not announced, euro group stages not complete, squad numbers not announced. Players contracts still have a few days to run.

i suggest that comments like this are put on hold for a month, then we can assess and comment on the depth and quality of the squad.

Said every year about this time when old sages's like myself can see the writing on the wall.

IF we sold Alfie for £1.5M & IF that money was spent on a decent replacement (ie, a proven goalscorer at this level who will get you 15-20 goals a season) then I would begrudgingly concede it's a good deal.

But it wont. We'll buy 1 or 2 of the goalscorers previously mentioned who'll end up with 8 or 10 goals.....with everyone saying it's up to the rest of the team to make up the shortfall.

Which is the problem as we've not had other players chipping in with 6 or 7 goals......apart from JRS & CBT who left and have not been replaced. 

So again, one of the reasons why we need another 6 or 7 players is that our current squad DOESN'T  SCORE  GOALS.

And relax. 
    Writing on the wall? This is the first proper summer window under the new owners, I know some on here want to include last summer and the January before but sandgaard was still in charge up to late July last year. The new owners have spoken a good talk and I think more bodies will come in this week and before the season starts.

The current squad includes bell. He will score and create chances and is a very good player at this level. Leaburn will also create and score. May, may go but is currently a Charlton player and can score goals. Kanu is another year older and should improve on last seasons tally.  as it stands, leaburn, may, Kanu and aneke plus bell will get us goals. I’ve read on here that Campbell will be played centrally next year and I expect him to score more than last year.

I think that you saying that this squad doesn’t score goals is way off the mark. 

The bigger problem last year was conceding and conceding soft. Edwards, Mitchell (if signs) plus two new goalkeepers, plus the January signings getting a pre season in them, should address that.

the priority now, in my eyes into more midfielders
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

Jesus. Pre season hasn’t started, fixtures not announced, euro group stages not complete, squad numbers not announced. Players contracts still have a few days to run.

i suggest that comments like this are put on hold for a month, then we can assess and comment on the depth and quality of the squad.

Said every year about this time when old sages's like myself can see the writing on the wall.

IF we sold Alfie for £1.5M & IF that money was spent on a decent replacement (ie, a proven goalscorer at this level who will get you 15-20 goals a season) then I would begrudgingly concede it's a good deal.

But it wont. We'll buy 1 or 2 of the goalscorers previously mentioned who'll end up with 8 or 10 goals.....with everyone saying it's up to the rest of the team to make up the shortfall.

Which is the problem as we've not had other players chipping in with 6 or 7 goals......apart from JRS & CBT who left and have not been replaced. 

So again, one of the reasons why we need another 6 or 7 players is that our current squad DOESN'T  SCORE  GOALS.

And relax. 
    Writing on the wall? This is the first proper summer window under the new owners, I know some on here want to include last summer and the January before but sandgaard was still in charge up to late July last year. The new owners have spoken a good talk and I think more bodies will come in this week and before the season starts.

The current squad includes bell. He will score and create chances and is a very good player at this level. Leaburn will also create and score. May, may go but is currently a Charlton player and can score goals. Kanu is another year older and should improve on last seasons tally.  as it stands, leaburn, may, Kanu and aneke plus bell will get us goals. I’ve read on here that Campbell will be played centrally next year and I expect him to score more than last year.

I think that you saying that this squad doesn’t score goals is way off the mark. 

The bigger problem last year was conceding and conceding soft. Edwards, Mitchell (if signs) plus two new goalkeepers, plus the January signings getting a pre season in them, should address that.

the priority now, in my eyes into more midfielders
    Who is bell ? 
  • Options
    Who the fuck is Bell? When did we sign him?
    He means Berry
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

I think Edwards will start on the left of a back 3 and reg on the right. They will cover the wind backs allowing them to get a lot higher up the pitch.

the squad is taking shape with still plenty of time to improve it further 

Have they been eating Dobbo's vegan chilli?