Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Worst case scenario: We sell Alfie, Wales sack Rob Page (and that is likely) and appoint Nathan Jones. Up the creek without a paddle. 
    Well, that’s one of the 3. Simon Jordan described the Wales job as a poor job except for a Welshman. 
    NJ 16/1
    Curbs 14/1 😀

Must stop talking to myself. 

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Worst case scenario: We sell Alfie, Wales sack Rob Page (and that is likely) and appoint Nathan Jones. Up the creek without a paddle. 
    Well, that’s one of the 3. Simon Jordan described the Wales job as a poor job except for a Welshman. 
    What is Giggsy up to at the moment?  Or is he still in hiding?
    Maybe Mark Hughes fancies a go at the Wales job
    Director of Football at Salford
  • Options
    Rob Page sacked
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Doesn't pre-season start next Thursday? I thought we would have done more business by now if I'm being honest. Hopefully a busy week ahead.
    Technically it’s 4 players if Mitchell is done which is a lot more than usual before pre season, I think Jones has put un needed pressure on himself by saying it’ll be done when in hindsight it’s so rare to have your squad sorted by then but hopefully 2/3 next week and that’ll take us up to 6/7 which isn’t to bad.
    Still not enough & the 4 or 5 new players ncludes 2 GK's. We are still a very long way off assembling a squad that could get top 6, let alone automatic promotion. I'm not sure if a couple of defenders, 2 GK's & a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 could be described as squad rebuilding. 

Ho hum. 

Be patient Golfie, the Billionaires are really backing us for our promtion bid & it takes time to bring in the better quality players that are needed to not only push for promotion but able to play in the championship. Some of the players we want are highly sought after by other clubs so it all takes time. Plus Alfie May is still in the building so we're probably spending a fair amount of our time trying to flog the leading scorer in Division three. Apparently he doesn't fit into our plans.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Doesn't pre-season start next Thursday? I thought we would have done more business by now if I'm being honest. Hopefully a busy week ahead.
    Technically it’s 4 players if Mitchell is done which is a lot more than usual before pre season, I think Jones has put un needed pressure on himself by saying it’ll be done when in hindsight it’s so rare to have your squad sorted by then but hopefully 2/3 next week and that’ll take us up to 6/7 which isn’t to bad.
    Still not enough & the 4 or 5 new players ncludes 2 GK's. We are still a very long way off assembling a squad that could get top 6, let alone automatic promotion. I'm not sure if a couple of defenders, 2 GK's & a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 could be described as squad rebuilding. 

Ho hum. 

I get where your coming from Golfie, we’re miles off at the moment, but let’s hope we are in a much better place with signings in a months time.

Football forums, and patience don’t seem to go hand in hand.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

I’m not disputing that the squad is light but Why 2 goalkeepers?

a 30 year old that played in the premier league last year!!!
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

I get where your coming from Golfie, we’re miles off at the moment, but let’s hope we are in a much better place with signings in a months time.

The difference this year is Jones set the expectation that the squad would largely be in place in time for preseason.

With that being less than a week away it’s not looking like it’ll happen. We need around 8-10 signings and a handful of players to move on.
  • Options
    eastterrace6168 said: two frees and an £85k wing back. Time will tell and I hope you are right.
    Shopping in Primark as usual.
    Honestly, some postings are just off the mark...🙄

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

The difference this year is Jones set the expectation that the squad would largely be in place in time for preseason.

With that being less than a week away it’s not looking like it’ll happen. We need around 8-10 signings and a handful of players to move on.
    I really think this was a dumb move from Jones, essentially created a pitfall for himself by setting what is clear now, an arbitrary deadline for what is an ambitious 'promise'. I'm sure next week we will get fed platitudes of lots being 'close' 

Unless Jones is very commercially aware and made said comments as part of season ticket drive or if he genuinely believed he would be able to achieve that turnaround in 6 weeks whilst most players take their holiday period, it just feels naive 
  • Options
    edited June 21
    eastterrace6168 said: two frees and an £85k wing back. Time will tell and I hope you are right.
    Shopping in Primark as usual.
    Honestly, some postings are just off the mark...🙄

It's not always what you pay, it's who you sign, and we have got some good signings and fought off competition in doing so, so yes, they are economical but at the same time valuable to us as a club, and hopefully more still to arrive, this season could be a good one...🤔

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Let’s get real, we’re not going to have made another 5-6 signings in the next week, 1-3 perhaps?

The hardest thing to do is stay chilled, the easiest thing to do is get stressed out about it, take your pick!

I'll open the box...🙄
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Did he say he will have the squad in place or he would like to have the majority of the squad in place?

the problem is that the majority want it to be the first statement and are hanging on it, winding themselves up and others up because they can’t see it happening.

if and I know it’s an if and we have 2-3 in next week and another 2-3 in during the rest of the window, jones has got his wish. And that is a lot of our business (not all) done in time for pre season training.
  • Options
    Apparently Preston have tabled, and had accepted, a club record bid for Alfred according to twitter

Their record purchase is £2.5m

I expect that one gets filed in the B 1 N folder

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Did he say he will have the squad in place or he would like to have the majority of the squad in place?

the problem is that the majority want it to be the first statement and are hanging on it, winding themselves up and others up because they can’t see it happening.

if and I know it’s an if and we have 2-3 in next week and another 2-3 in during the rest of the window, jones has got his wish. And that is a lot of our business (not all) done in time for pre season training.
    Here’s what he said after we signed Mannion.

“We’d like to get the squad completed by our return date of June 27th,” he said. “We’ve worked tirelessly for the last three to four weeks in terms of arranging meetings with players. We’re trying to be bold in our recruitment. 

“I’m sure that by the time that we do get to the first day of pre-season, we’ll have the majority, if not all, of our squad in place. That’s so important because pre-season is a real big time, an important time to gel the squad and lay down certain things.

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Apparently Preston have tabled, and had accepted, a club record bid for Alfred according to twitter

That's one of the funniest rumours I've seen this summer. Think their club record signing is their first choice striker Emi Riis anyway , so the thought they'd break that to sign Alf is completely ridiculous 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

“We’d like to get the squad completed by our return date of June 27th,” he said. “We’ve worked tirelessly for the last three to four weeks in terms of arranging meetings with players. We’re trying to be bold in our recruitment. 

“I’m sure that by the time that we do get to the first day of pre-season, we’ll have the majority, if not all, of our squad in place. That’s so important because pre-season is a real big time, an important time to gel the squad and lay down certain things.

I’m sure we will have the majority……

that doesn’t mean the squad will be complete and that there won’t be any further movement until the window closes
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Maybe they are after this guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredinho_(footballer,_born_1896)
  • Options
    edited June 21
    Swisdom said:

Maybe they are after this guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredinho_(footballer,_born_1896)
    Best we can do is Churchinho. Take it or leave it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing to do with rumours, but might help take a different approach, some might say it’s been years in the making at Charlton!

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/Hofstadters-law#:~:text=Hofstadter's%20law%20states%20that%20a,time%20required%20to%20complete%20it.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

I must have missed Jones stating how many players he is going to sign and in which positions.
    I am guessing another GK, a striker and an attacking midfielder, but would appreciate the facts.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

I must have missed Jones stating how many players he is going to sign and in which positions.
    I am guessing another GK, a striker and an attacking midfielder, but would appreciate the facts.
    Cheers.
    The point is it’s looking unlikely all signings will be done by this time next week. Not saying we should panic though.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

So, In avoidance of doubt or misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.
    True, he's never stated how many players he wants in & maybe he's happy with just the ones we've signed plus Mitchell, a GK and A.N.Other.

But if so its not enough & we will struggle massively. But all we can do is wait & see.  
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.
    The point is it’s looking unlikely all signings will be done by this time next week. Not saying we should panic though.
    Never said all deals would be done …. they said there will still be 2/3 later in the window 

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.
    True, he's never stated how many players he wants in & maybe he's happy with just the ones we've signed plus Mitchell, a GK and A.N.Other.

But if so its not enough & we will struggle massively. But all we can do is wait & see.  
    Obviously it’s not enough, no teams will have their team sorted by end of June but we’ve got a big squad compared to most seasons and some good signings in . I’m excited to see who else we sign.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.
    I am chilled with it all as I believe that our owners are determined to deliver a lot of Jones’s wish list.
    Without knowing the numbers and positions how will we know what success looks like?
    Is everyone going to be using their own personal opinion as to what that is or is there an ITK that has an informed idea?

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.
    Never said all deals would be done …. they said there will still be 2/3 later in the window 

Read what NJ ACTUALLY said when we signed Mannion.