Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Potts would surprise me, has missed a lot of time with injury and I think Edwards covers the same roles. 
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    We are in for Dan Potts.  For anyone who likes a WhatsApp rumour from someone who works closely with the club. Not sure if Rich means that in past tense though and things have changed.
    Yeah, intonation is lost. Could be read two ways 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Campbell has skill and pace already.

He can create and score.

There is room for improvement like all our players but Jones clearly sees the potential.
    We can agree on something.. Jones rates Campbell highly, Campbell was leaving before Jones come in... 

Campbell does need to improve though
    Yes, we agree and under a better manager in NJ I think he will.

But too often fans take a player's worst performances as their standard, not their best.
    I'm not ITK but heard from some relatives of players that a lot of players head dropped under MA due to his training methods when they lost a couple.

Essentially the rumor was he just ran them in to the ground and shouted at the how Sh*t they were.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Hopefully a lot more than we’ve seen over the last few weeks so we have the squad in place as Jones talked about.

We know Mitchell is likely to announced next week.

A new striker needs to come in if May goes, in addition to the one more we already need.

We need to add a first choice GK to that and central midfield also needs strengthening with at least one more signing to add to Berry.

Jones might want another winger to go with Campbell so we have the flexibility to use other formations.

I’d only see us signing a RB/RWB if Watson moves on. Similar with further signings at CB.
    Heard Jones looking at playing Campbell more centrally this year.
    Fingers crossed he can gain more pace. 
    And height and strength and a more robust character.
    I'm being facetious, there's a player in there, but he is imo a work in progress and I hope  not s first pick, wherever Jones plays him
    Squad player at best.
    Nowhere near good or consistent enough to be a regular starter. 
    No problem having him on the bench but that's about it.
    I admire the confidence to completely write off a player who has shown flashes of talent and had some poor form under an inept manager at just 20 years old.

For the record at that age, Harry Kane played three times for Norwich scoring zero goals. 
    It's a good idea to read what posters actually say before responding. 
    I said he's a squad player at beat.
    I also said I have no problem with him being on the bench.
    Nowhere did I say I would completely write him off.
    He has a decent chance of making it but in my opinion he's not yet ready for a regular starting roll.
    Hope that clears up what I'm saying. 
    Ok Why cant he become more, you are writing him off by saying squad player at best.
    I'm not writing him off and I'm not saying he can't get better. 
    But unless there's a major improvement on last season as things stand I don't believe he should be a regular starter. 
    Give it another year and who knows. 
    Fair enough apologies i read bit more than what you actually wrote.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Campbell has skill and pace already.

He can create and score.

There is room for improvement like all our players but Jones clearly sees the potential.
    We can agree on something.. Jones rates Campbell highly, Campbell was leaving before Jones come in... 

Campbell does need to improve though
    Yes, we agree and under a better manager in NJ I think he will.

But too often fans take a player's worst performances as their standard, not their best.
    I'm not ITK but heard from some relatives of players that a lot of players head dropped under MA due to his training methods when they lost a couple.

Essentially the rumor was he just ran them in to the ground and shouted at the how Sh*t they were.
    Well the truth always hurts;)
  • Options
    It's been an odd start to transfer proceedings so far. I don't know how many players we're looking to get in but I remember towards the end of the season when we dropped points Jones saying that the issue we had was 'personnel'. Basically saying there was only so much he could do with what he had and we could never be successful with that group. It feels at the moment like we're going to be reusing quite a lot of that personnel going forward though.

At the end of last season I think most people would have said the most urgent spots to fill were in goal, CB, central midfield and up front. There's obvious change coming in goal but even with Mitchell coming in and Edwards potentially playing at CB we're still left with REG, Gillesphey, Lloyd, Ness and possibly Zach Mitchell. There's a lot of players in there that Jones doesn't seem to fancy and not a lot of noise about further additions there. Sonny Bradley was mentioned as one that would have to be done later in the window as Derby aren't sure about letting him go but it still feels we're one or two inevitable injuries away from the unwanted players coming in. In the middle we've brought in Berry, Coventry will continue even though I doubt he's a player Jones would pick himself and it's quite quiet other than that. Dobson has gone, Edun doesn't fit anywhere, Fraser is surely on his way out and I think we all might have imagined Terry Taylor. That leaves Anderson and possibly Campbell if Jones wants to put him in the advanced midfield role. Lots and lots of movement needed in that area as there's players in there that even Appleton wouldn't want. Up front we knew we needed some kind of kaiju to hold the ball but it sounds like we'll also need another forward to replace May and his goals. Striker is the one spot where (hopefully) you can look at the first choice front two and see Leaburn, Kanu and Aneke as serious possible replacements in case of fitness or form issues. Other than that though it's feeling uncomfortably like we're one Luke Berry ankle knock or Alex Mitchell hamstring twang away from having a lot of the same conversations as last season. Lots and lots of time left to make a lot more changes but I just really hope we're planning not only for a shake up of the 11 but also for eventualities that might mean we're fielding a midfield trio of Anderson, Edun and Fraser 6 games in
    There’s still 2 and a half months of the window open, there’s no need to panic yet even by our standards 3 by this stage is more than most years . 
  • Options
    We are in for Dan Potts.  For anyone who likes a WhatsApp rumour from someone who works closely with the club.  
    FYI I’m happy to believe Cawley over anyone, I’m just sharing a message that’s all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann897 said:
    It's been an odd start to transfer proceedings so far. I don't know how many players we're looking to get in but I remember towards the end of the season when we dropped points Jones saying that the issue we had was 'personnel'. Basically saying there was only so much he could do with what he had and we could never be successful with that group. It feels at the moment like we're going to be reusing quite a lot of that personnel going forward though.

At the end of last season I think most people would have said the most urgent spots to fill were in goal, CB, central midfield and up front. There's obvious change coming in goal but even with Mitchell coming in and Edwards potentially playing at CB we're still left with REG, Gillesphey, Lloyd, Ness and possibly Zach Mitchell. There's a lot of players in there that Jones doesn't seem to fancy and not a lot of noise about further additions there. Sonny Bradley was mentioned as one that would have to be done later in the window as Derby aren't sure about letting him go but it still feels we're one or two inevitable injuries away from the unwanted players coming in. In the middle we've brought in Berry, Coventry will continue even though I doubt he's a player Jones would pick himself and it's quite quiet other than that. Dobson has gone, Edun doesn't fit anywhere, Fraser is surely on his way out and I think we all might have imagined Terry Taylor. That leaves Anderson and possibly Campbell if Jones wants to put him in the advanced midfield role. Lots and lots of movement needed in that area as there's players in there that even Appleton wouldn't want. Up front we knew we needed some kind of kaiju to hold the ball but it sounds like we'll also need another forward to replace May and his goals. Striker is the one spot where (hopefully) you can look at the first choice front two and see Leaburn, Kanu and Aneke as serious possible replacements in case of fitness or form issues. Other than that though it's feeling uncomfortably like we're one Luke Berry ankle knock or Alex Mitchell hamstring twang away from having a lot of the same conversations as last season. Lots and lots of time left to make a lot more changes but I just really hope we're planning not only for a shake up of the 11 but also for eventualities that might mean we're fielding a midfield trio of Anderson, Edun and Fraser 6 games in
    There’s still 2 and a half months of the window open, there’s no need to panic yet even by our standards 3 by this stage is more than most years . 
    No panic, I'm just saying that I hope there's more focus on making sure that the players backing up the shiny new signings are at the level we need than there has been in the past because with our injury record very quickly the 'good enough as a backup' players become 'not good enough to be starting every week but they're the only fit defender'. We really need to move on Ness, Edun, Fraser and if he's not wanted Taylor and replace them with better players or we'll feel it as the season goes on. I hope we have a plan in place for that 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Hopefully a lot more than we’ve seen over the last few weeks so we have the squad in place as Jones talked about.

We know Mitchell is likely to announced next week.

A new striker needs to come in if May goes, in addition to the one more we already need.

We need to add a first choice GK to that and central midfield also needs strengthening with at least one more signing to add to Berry.

Jones might want another winger to go with Campbell so we have the flexibility to use other formations.

I’d only see us signing a RB/RWB if Watson moves on. Similar with further signings at CB.
    Heard Jones looking at playing Campbell more centrally this year.
    Fingers crossed he can gain more pace. 
    And height and strength and a more robust character.
    I'm being facetious, there's a player in there, but he is imo a work in progress and I hope  not s first pick, wherever Jones plays him
    Squad player at best.
    Nowhere near good or consistent enough to be a regular starter. 
    No problem having him on the bench but that's about it.
    I admire the confidence to completely write off a player who has shown flashes of talent and had some poor form under an inept manager at just 20 years old.

For the record at that age, Harry Kane played three times for Norwich scoring zero goals. 
    It's a good idea to read what posters actually say before responding. 
    I said he's a squad player at beat.
    I also said I have no problem with him being on the bench.
    Nowhere did I say I would completely write him off.
    He has a decent chance of making it but in my opinion he's not yet ready for a regular starting roll.
    Hope that clears up what I'm saying. 
    Ok Why cant he become more, you are writing him off by saying squad player at best.
    I'm not writing him off and I'm not saying he can't get better. 
    But unless there's a major improvement on last season as things stand I don't believe he should be a regular starter. 
    Give it another year and who knows. 
    Fair enough apologies i read bit more than what you actually wrote.
    No problem. 
    Have a nice day and let's hope for a good season. 
  • Options
    Where is the Gassan Ahadme link coming from, and isn't he meant to be quite average regardless? 

I remember checking Cambridges forums before we played them and the reviews weren't very good. He seems to have swayed a few people towards the end, but that isn't a 'good enough to play in the championship' type that's been touted. 

I can't take his performance against us too seriously, one of the worst (arguably worst) defences in Charltons history. 
  • Options
    Where is the Gassan Ahadme link coming from, and isn't he meant to be quite average regardless? 

I remember checking Cambridges forums before we played them and the reviews weren't very good. He seems to have swayed a few people towards the end, but that isn't a 'good enough to play in the championship' type that's been touted. 

I can't take his performance against us too seriously, one of the worst (arguably worst) defences in Charltons history. 

Swisdom with one of his classic cheeky hints.

His record, when he was available wasnt too bad with 11 in 29,  especially given hes likely to be the second/ hold up type man (or one of them)

At a good age too, a full season of league one level development and one to step up. 
  • Options

Don't mind this at all. Isn't going to be a long term option but that's why we signed Mannion. 
  • Options

I think he fits that 'battering ram' striker mould we are after quite nicely, will be hugely important signing in helping us hold the ball up the pitch. I think we massively struggled with that all of last season, except when Chuks had a cameo 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Don't mind this at all. Isn't going to be a long term option but that's why we signed Mannion. 

Remind you of anyone?
  • Options

Swisdom with one of his classic cheeky hints.

His record, when he was available wasnt too bad with 11 in 29,  especially given hes likely to be the second/ hold up type man (or one of them)

At a good age too, a full season of league one level development and one to step up. 
    Ah ok,

As you say, 11 in 29 is decent, especially if he offers more than just goals. 

I just saw he's only 23 which is quite young. Don't get me wrong on paper it seems a decent move, just concerned about all the donkey comments I read earlier in the season. Hopefully he developed since then. 

I think he fits that 'battering ram' striker mould we are after quite nicely, will be hugely important signing in helping us hold the ball up the pitch. I think we massively struggled with that all of last season, except when Chuks had a cameo 
    Yeah we did, even when Wickham had has little cameos it helped us, Alfie May could have certainly used a proper target man for most of the season, he could have been on 30 league goals potentially with a partner with more to their game. 
  • Options
    edited June 20
    Not sure if shared, but here's the Cambridge forum thread on him, I'm gonna have a gander myself now,

https://cambridgeunitedfc.proboards.com/thread/10758/gassan-ahadme?page=1

Edit: don't bother reading all this link, it is utter guff until page 7 where a few people say he's decent and his hold up play is good. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure if shared, but here's the Cambridge forum thread on him, I'm gonna have a gander myself now,

https://cambridgeunitedfc.proboards.com/thread/10758/gassan-ahadme?page=1

Edit: don't bother reading all this link, it is utter guff until page 7 where a few people say he's decent and his hold up play is good. 
    He isn't going to be getting May like numbers but seems like double figures should be well within his abilities and brings a bit of heft and hold up play besides.

I wouldn't be blown away with the signing but certainly would be interested to see how he gets on.
  • Options

Probably looked good next to Bonne though.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

I wouldnt mind him coming in for his experience but still want us to go for Walton at Ipswich

with AMB and Isted likely going we need 2 more GK still anyway
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

I wouldnt mind him coming in for his experience but still want us to go for Walton at Ipswich

Is Walton a goer anymore? He had his contract option taken up by them, so will get to sit on the bench in the Premier League at worst, and probably a Loan if needed?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Is Walton a goer anymore? He had his contract option taken up by them, so will get to sit on the bench in the Premier League at worst, and probably a Loan if needed?
    Yea but reports Ipswich are going to bring in a GK plus he has worked with Jones before 

Reams on the other site reckons we are still keen and pursuing him so hopefully a chance at least 

Others i would be keen on
    Jensen
    Wildsmith
    Okonkwo
    Addai
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Walton would still be my first choice if the fee Ipswich want isn't astronomical but I can see the merits in an experienced head like Ruddy. 
  • Options
    Whoever we sign as May’s replacement, he better very very good or fans will quickly turn. 
    And on the manager.
  • Options
    That looks like a rehash of the Cawley article. The fact Birmingham have signed Allsop makes it doubtful he will stay there. Other speculation has linked him with Blackburn where his former Brum manager Eustace is managing

I have read that he kept his family in Norwich. Would London be convenient than Birmingham?