Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    supaclive said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:
    Doesn't pre-season start next Thursday? I thought we would have done more business by now if I'm being honest. Hopefully a busy week ahead.
    Technically it’s 4 players if Mitchell is done which is a lot more than usual before pre season, I think Jones has put un needed pressure on himself by saying it’ll be done when in hindsight it’s so rare to have your squad sorted by then but hopefully 2/3 next week and that’ll take us up to 6/7 which isn’t to bad.
    Still not enough & the 4 or 5 new players ncludes 2 GK's. We are still a very long way off assembling a squad that could get top 6, let alone automatic promotion. I'm not sure if a couple of defenders, 2 GK's & a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 could be described as squad rebuilding. 

Ho hum. 

I get where your coming from Golfie, we’re miles off at the moment, but let’s hope we are in a much better place with signings in a months time.

Football forums, and patience don’t seem to go hand in hand.
    The difference this year is Jones set the expectation that the squad would largely be in place in time for preseason.

With that being less than a week away it’s not looking like it’ll happen. We need around 8-10 signings and a handful of players to move on.
    Did he say he will have the squad in place or he would like to have the majority of the squad in place?

the problem is that the majority want it to be the first statement and are hanging on it, winding themselves up and others up because they can’t see it happening.

if and I know it’s an if and we have 2-3 in next week and another 2-3 in during the rest of the window, jones has got his wish. And that is a lot of our business (not all) done in time for pre season training.
    Here’s what he said after we signed Mannion.

“We’d like to get the squad completed by our return date of June 27th,” he said. “We’ve worked tirelessly for the last three to four weeks in terms of arranging meetings with players. We’re trying to be bold in our recruitment. 

“I’m sure that by the time that we do get to the first day of pre-season, we’ll have the majority, if not all, of our squad in place. That’s so important because pre-season is a real big time, an important time to gel the squad and lay down certain things.

I must have missed Jones stating how many players he is going to sign and in which positions.
    I am guessing another GK, a striker and an attacking midfielder, but would appreciate the facts.
    Cheers.
    True, he's never stated how many players he wants in & maybe he's happy with just the ones we've signed plus Mitchell, a GK and A.N.Other.

But if so its not enough & we will struggle massively. But all we can do is wait & see.  
    It is possible he doesn't want many more signings. We have:

3 keepers
    LB: Small, Edun, Edwards
    CB: REG, Jones, Gillesphey, Mitchell, Ness
    RB: Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe
    Midfield: Berry, Coventry, Anderson, Taylor
    Wingers: Campbell 
    Strikers: May, Chuks, Leaburn, Kanu

I've not included the younger kids or people like Fraser who will likely go.

So that's already a 23 man squad when Mitchell signs. Assumption would be that we will definitely add a striker and then i guess we probably need a wide attacker/winger and an attacking midfielder.

Beyond that i can't see us signing anyone else unless a player leaves (like May). Highly unlikely we're going to be making another 5/6/7 signings, especially when Jones has previously said he wanted a smaller, more streamlined squad.

That squad is far too similar to the one which ended the season 
    Jesus. Pre season hasn’t started, fixtures not announced, euro group stages not complete, squad numbers not announced. Players contracts still have a few days to run.

i suggest that comments like this are put on hold for a month, then we can assess and comment on the depth and quality of the squad.

Said every year about this time when old sages's like myself can see the writing on the wall.

IF we sold Alfie for £1.5M & IF that money was spent on a decent replacement (ie, a proven goalscorer at this level who will get you 15-20 goals a season) then I would begrudgingly concede it's a good deal.

But it wont. We'll buy 1 or 2 of the goalscorers previously mentioned who'll end up with 8 or 10 goals.....with everyone saying it's up to the rest of the team to make up the shortfall.

Which is the problem as we've not had other players chipping in with 6 or 7 goals......apart from JRS & CBT who left and have not been replaced. 

So again, one of the reasons why we need another 6 or 7 players is that our current squad DOESN'T  SCORE  GOALS.

And relax. 
    Writing on the wall? This is the first proper summer window under the new owners, I know some on here want to include last summer and the January before but sandgaard was still in charge up to late July last year. The new owners have spoken a good talk and I think more bodies will come in this week and before the season starts.

The current squad includes bell. He will score and create chances and is a very good player at this level. Leaburn will also create and score. May, may go but is currently a Charlton player and can score goals. Kanu is another year older and should improve on last seasons tally.  as it stands, leaburn, may, Kanu and aneke plus bell will get us goals. I’ve read on here that Campbell will be played centrally next year and I expect him to score more than last year.

I think that you saying that this squad doesn’t score goals is way off the mark. 

The bigger problem last year was conceding and conceding soft. Edwards, Mitchell (if signs) plus two new goalkeepers, plus the January signings getting a pre season in them, should address that.

the priority now, in my eyes into more midfielders
    Yes the owners weren't involved in January 2023s rubbish window, nor the rubbish summer window of 2023 and of course the transformational January 2024 window !

IF things get better it will be down to Nathan Jones not the owners who have been MASSIVELY involved in the last three SHIT transfer windows ffs!!!
    What a crock of shit!!!!! Really, crock of shit. Where did you you get the last 3 from????

they took control late in the window last summer

no offence but this is one of the most stupid  posts I have ever read on here. You make Ronnie Moore look like a sporting guru!!!
    Andy Scott was in charge of the January 2023 window 

https://www.charltonafc.com/video/player/0_66nqkuvp
    THANK YOU!!!
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:
    Doesn't pre-season start next Thursday? I thought we would have done more business by now if I'm being honest. Hopefully a busy week ahead.
    Technically it’s 4 players if Mitchell is done which is a lot more than usual before pre season, I think Jones has put un needed pressure on himself by saying it’ll be done when in hindsight it’s so rare to have your squad sorted by then but hopefully 2/3 next week and that’ll take us up to 6/7 which isn’t to bad.
    Still not enough & the 4 or 5 new players ncludes 2 GK's. We are still a very long way off assembling a squad that could get top 6, let alone automatic promotion. I'm not sure if a couple of defenders, 2 GK's & a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 could be described as squad rebuilding. 

Ho hum. 

I get where your coming from Golfie, we’re miles off at the moment, but let’s hope we are in a much better place with signings in a months time.

The difference this year is Jones set the expectation that the squad would largely be in place in time for preseason.

With that being less than a week away it’s not looking like it’ll happen. We need around 8-10 signings and a handful of players to move on.
    Did he say he will have the squad in place or he would like to have the majority of the squad in place?

the problem is that the majority want it to be the first statement and are hanging on it, winding themselves up and others up because they can’t see it happening.

if and I know it’s an if and we have 2-3 in next week and another 2-3 in during the rest of the window, jones has got his wish. And that is a lot of our business (not all) done in time for pre season training.

“We’d like to get the squad completed by our return date of June 27th,” he said. “We’ve worked tirelessly for the last three to four weeks in terms of arranging meetings with players. We’re trying to be bold in our recruitment. 

“I’m sure that by the time that we do get to the first day of pre-season, we’ll have the majority, if not all, of our squad in place. That’s so important because pre-season is a real big time, an important time to gel the squad and lay down certain things.

I must have missed Jones stating how many players he is going to sign and in which positions.
    I am guessing another GK, a striker and an attacking midfielder, but would appreciate the facts.
    Cheers.
    True, he's never stated how many players he wants in & maybe he's happy with just the ones we've signed plus Mitchell, a GK and A.N.Other.

But if so its not enough & we will struggle massively. But all we can do is wait & see.  

3 keepers

So that's already a 23 man squad when Mitchell signs. Assumption would be that we will definitely add a striker and then i guess we probably need a wide attacker/winger and an attacking midfielder.

Beyond that i can't see us signing anyone else unless a player leaves (like May). Highly unlikely we're going to be making another 5/6/7 signings, especially when Jones has previously said he wanted a smaller, more streamlined squad.

Even assuming Edwards is better than Edun and Berry is better than Fiorini/ Bakinson , the squad isn’t any stronger, having lost Dobson.  
    Coventry far better long term then Dobson so already Coventry Berry and one other is looking a far better midfield then Dobson and Anderson 

NO HE ISN'T...you really do have a hang up on Dobson don't you...🤦‍♂️
    I’d say Coventry has a much higher ceiling and potential than Dobson has. 
    The heating bills must be atrocious...

Probably lives in a listed building too, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Who the fuck is Bell? When did we sign him?
    He tolls for thee...
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

Jones said we'll be looking to bring in 2 GKs. Last season he talked about wanting a 25 man squad, 3 being GKs. I'm expecting a few departures too, so it's hard not to see there being at least one or two more joining after Mitchell, a new striker and another new GK.
    one or two after Mitchell and we can forget about top 6 . We need atleast 6-8
    The pessimist in me says if Rotherham can bring players in why can't we.
    The optimist is that Jones has a bigger budget and can be nore selective.
    And the realist says what?
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    We are averaging 1 signing every 50 pages.
    Better than 50 average signings I suppose 😉
  • Options
    If irc Josh Edward’s’ played the majority of his games at left midfield last season. With Small playing so well at fb/wingback, I would not be surprised to see Edward’s playing left midfield in preseason.
    Never seen him play live but from the build of him he could be a box to box type.
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    We are averaging 1 signing every 50 pages.
    We need to be posting more!

(Not really for the love of something).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brownie12 said:
    He’s the bloke at the end 
    Not the knob on top?
  • Options
    If irc Josh Edward’s’ played the majority of his games at left midfield last season. With Small playing so well at fb/wingback, I would not be surprised to see Edward’s playing left midfield in preseason.
    Never seen him play live but from the build of him he could be a box to box type.
    Can’t see us playing anyone at left midfield, I expect Jones will stick with 3-5-2 or will move us to a 4-4-2 diamond without wingers.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

Even assuming Edwards is better than Edun and Berry is better than Fiorini/ Bakinson , the squad isn’t any stronger, having lost Dobson.  
    Coventry far better long term then Dobson so already Coventry Berry and one other is looking a far better midfield then Dobson and Anderson 

That's because he refuses to blame the management for anything. 
    Selling Dobson and May are both good decisions in Ronnie's world.
    Dobson rushed of and signed a ridiculous contract when like 99% of players wait to see what options they have at the end of the season .. Dobson not played at a high level in league one and is not good enough for the championship hence Charlton offer of a two year deal … fact not one club in England made an offer the only offer he had was from Hungary .. that tells you how other managers see him
    as well .. May is simple it’s between Jones and May .. If Jones don’t see him as a starter then it’s down to May to decide if he stays and fights for his spot or jump ship …. All transfers in and out is now down to Jones .  
    Regarding your last sentence. 
    Jones had better bring in better players than Dobson and May otherwise it's on him
  • Options
    edited June 22
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

That's because he refuses to blame the management for anything. 
    Selling Dobson and May are both good decisions in Ronnie's world.
    Dobson rushed of and signed a ridiculous contract when like 99% of players wait to see what options they have at the end of the season .. Dobson not played at a high level in league one and is not good enough for the championship hence Charlton offer of a two year deal … fact not one club in England made an offer the only offer he had was from Hungary .. that tells you how other managers see him
    as well .. May is simple it’s between Jones and May .. If Jones don’t see him as a starter then it’s down to May to decide if he stays and fights for his spot or jump ship …. All transfers in and out is now down to Jones .  
    How do you know how many offers Dobson had from clubs in England, or anywhere else for that matter, are you his sodding agent or something, it could have been Hungary for a number of reasons, most of which are unknown by you or anyone else, maybe he just didn't want to be in the UK anymore, and would have gone to Hungary anyway...
    You do seem to claim to know a lot about nout truth be known, and you just have a huge hang up regarding Dobson in general for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:

Ho hum. 

Cheers.

3 keepers

Jones said we'll be looking to bring in 2 GKs. Last season he talked about wanting a 25 man squad, 3 being GKs. I'm expecting a few departures too, so it's hard not to see there being at least one or two more joining after Mitchell, a new striker and another new GK.
    one or two after Mitchell and we can forget about top 6 . We need atleast 6-8
    The pessimist in me says if Rotherham can bring players in why can't we.
    The optimist is that Jones has a bigger budget and can be nore selective.
    And the realist says what?
    Jones will get the a***ache with his transfer budget and not be with us come the end of the season.
  • Options
    edited June 22
    Not got Twitter (X)...
    Someone just posted on Huddersfield forum called Chris Reader...🤷‍♂️,claiming to have seen Alfie today playing cricket, and heard him saying he is hoping to get deal done by the weekend...
    Don't know how much in true, just hope none of it...🤞
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 22
    Here’s the link to the tweet re Alfie off to Huddersfield https://x.com/ph1pd/status/1804561346614132853?s=46&t=lSAc6lCdzbHQuXowmGY11w
  • Options
    edited June 22
    One thing I want to see are wins.
  • Options
    Not got Twitter (X)...
    Someone just posted on Huddersfield forum called Chris Reader...🤷‍♂️,claiming to have seen Alfie today playing cricket, and heard him saying he is hoping to get deal done by the weekend...
    He was at Farningham cricket club today 
  • Options
    edited June 22
    Plaaayer said:
    Not got Twitter (X)...
    He was at Farningham cricket club today 
    The picture was real, and so I feel will the story ultimately be true, much to my dismay...

• Options
    It'll be a sad day when May leaves this club. Be it this summer or at the end of his contract. I just hope Nathan can secure the forwards he believes will make us better. 
  • Options
    He means Berry
    Good. We’ve had a load of bells in recent seasons. We don’t need another one 
  • Options
    Who is the red man who comes at Christmas?
  • Options
    He's gonna drive up to Huddersfield after a cricket game on a Saturday night? Is he fuck