Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Grovenuts said:
    Right Alfie May:
    Being an exiled addick I have had a season ticket for Cheltenham for the last few years I told the doubters, and there were plenty ,a year ago that Alfie would score goals here, I had seen him keep Cheltenham up for 2 seasons single handedly! We got a bargain I think all can agree but we have all been Addicks long enough to know exactly how this is going to play out, we will sell Alfie, to a promotion rival, as many have pointed out, we will buy a couple of forwards to replace him, Etette..do me a favour, Alfie had to drag him through his loan year at Cheltenham! We will buy bang average replacements who will score an average amount of goals and after 10 games we will be halfway in the league and preying for Leaburn to rescue us! We will gripe and moan and Jones will take the Welsh job, the next manager will be moaning we haven't got an inform striker and wish we had kept Alfie who will be at the top of the scoring charts firing Huddersfield to promotion! I apologise for the rant but I have supported this club so long I know the script off by heart...rant over and sorry again 
    You got the lottery numbers aswell then ? Nobody knows what our squad will look like by the first game of the season, we had May last season and yes he scored goals and we still finished 16th, im happy for Jones to go his own way as he’s proved he can get teams promoted.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He's gonna drive up to Huddersfield after a cricket game on a Saturday night? Is he fuck
    Driving up after the game doesn't mean he's jumping in his car at 6pm.
    It's more likely tomorrow or Monday.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:
    Doesn't pre-season start next Thursday? I thought we would have done more business by now if I'm being honest. Hopefully a busy week ahead.
    Technically it’s 4 players if Mitchell is done which is a lot more than usual before pre season, I think Jones has put un needed pressure on himself by saying it’ll be done when in hindsight it’s so rare to have your squad sorted by then but hopefully 2/3 next week and that’ll take us up to 6/7 which isn’t to bad.
    Still not enough & the 4 or 5 new players ncludes 2 GK's. We are still a very long way off assembling a squad that could get top 6, let alone automatic promotion. I'm not sure if a couple of defenders, 2 GK's & a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 could be described as squad rebuilding. 

Ho hum. 

I get where your coming from Golfie, we’re miles off at the moment, but let’s hope we are in a much better place with signings in a months time.

Football forums, and patience don’t seem to go hand in hand.
    The difference this year is Jones set the expectation that the squad would largely be in place in time for preseason.

With that being less than a week away it’s not looking like it’ll happen. We need around 8-10 signings and a handful of players to move on.
    Did he say he will have the squad in place or he would like to have the majority of the squad in place?

the problem is that the majority want it to be the first statement and are hanging on it, winding themselves up and others up because they can’t see it happening.

if and I know it’s an if and we have 2-3 in next week and another 2-3 in during the rest of the window, jones has got his wish. And that is a lot of our business (not all) done in time for pre season training.
    Here’s what he said after we signed Mannion.

“We’d like to get the squad completed by our return date of June 27th,” he said. “We’ve worked tirelessly for the last three to four weeks in terms of arranging meetings with players. We’re trying to be bold in our recruitment. 

“I’m sure that by the time that we do get to the first day of pre-season, we’ll have the majority, if not all, of our squad in place. That’s so important because pre-season is a real big time, an important time to gel the squad and lay down certain things.

I must have missed Jones stating how many players he is going to sign and in which positions.
    I am guessing another GK, a striker and an attacking midfielder, but would appreciate the facts.
    Cheers.
    True, he's never stated how many players he wants in & maybe he's happy with just the ones we've signed plus Mitchell, a GK and A.N.Other.

But if so its not enough & we will struggle massively. But all we can do is wait & see.  
    It is possible he doesn't want many more signings. We have:

3 keepers
    LB: Small, Edun, Edwards
    CB: REG, Jones, Gillesphey, Mitchell, Ness
    RB: Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe
    Midfield: Berry, Coventry, Anderson, Taylor
    Wingers: Campbell 
    Strikers: May, Chuks, Leaburn, Kanu

I've not included the younger kids or people like Fraser who will likely go.

So that's already a 23 man squad when Mitchell signs. Assumption would be that we will definitely add a striker and then i guess we probably need a wide attacker/winger and an attacking midfielder.

Beyond that i can't see us signing anyone else unless a player leaves (like May). Highly unlikely we're going to be making another 5/6/7 signings, especially when Jones has previously said he wanted a smaller, more streamlined squad.
    Signed three players so no need to change the squad dramatically after last season's nonsense?!

Not what i said at all. We've already  signed 4 if you include Mitchell, and i said the assumption is that we will definitely sign 3 more in the positions i listed, so that's 7 signings.

But some people are talking about another 6-7 signings more, so i think they're going to be rather disappointed. I don't disagree we need that number (i mean let's be honest we could probably do with 15 signings) but i just don't think we will unless a fair few more players leave otherwise the squad is way too big. It is not easy to shift out rubbish players.
    5 including Terry Taylor. 😉
    Don't forget Chuks and Miles, that's 7
  • Options
    https://unherd.com/2024/06/how-political-is-orbans-football-obsession/
    This article may help to explain the appeal of Hungary to Dobson. There is a huge amount of money washing around Hungarian football, according to this article. Disproportionate to the levels of support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 22

I think it was a really naive and stupid thing to say for NJ that he expects the squad near complete by 27th June. 
    The fact that Jones didn't appear to consider that and still said what he said should be a HUGE red flag about his judgement IMO.
    You didn’t think he said it in order to put a little bit of pressure on the owners not to drag their feet in the transfer window? I always assumed that’s what it was about at least. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I predict if May goes it will go down in Charlton history as infamous as when Kermogant was sold, at a similar age.
    Can anybody tell me when deliberately selling a proven goal scorer has paid off for us? I have been around a long time and cannot think of an example.And I do not mean paid off because we needed the money, re Robert Lee,  which apparently we do not at present unless we have been fed the usual pack of lies.
    Hales ….. moved Flanagan inside and he proved just as good in fact a far better footballer 
  • Options
    MrBurns said:
    Grovenuts said:
    Right Alfie May:
    Being an exiled addick I have had a season ticket for Cheltenham for the last few years I told the doubters, and there were plenty ,a year ago that Alfie would score goals here, I had seen him keep Cheltenham up for 2 seasons single handedly! We got a bargain I think all can agree but we have all been Addicks long enough to know exactly how this is going to play out, we will sell Alfie, to a promotion rival, as many have pointed out, we will buy a couple of forwards to replace him, Etette..do me a favour, Alfie had to drag him through his loan year at Cheltenham! We will buy bang average replacements who will score an average amount of goals and after 10 games we will be halfway in the league and preying for Leaburn to rescue us! We will gripe and moan and Jones will take the Welsh job, the next manager will be moaning we haven't got an inform striker and wish we had kept Alfie who will be at the top of the scoring charts firing Huddersfield to promotion! I apologise for the rant but I have supported this club so long I know the script off by heart...rant over and sorry again 
    Spot on 
    Errrm, yeah……Mmmm righty ho.🧐
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He's gonna drive up to Huddersfield after a cricket game on a Saturday night? Is he fuck

They batted first, he opened, was out scoring 20 odd in his first over, but doesn’t fit the side’s fielding formation, so he was done after one at bat and left at around noon.  So plenty of time to drive up and sign for a Yorkshire cricket team battling for one of only 2 slots offering a place in a higher junior county cricket.  Honestly, you wouldn’t believe a team could be that dumb, but that’s cricket for you.
  • Options
    edited June 22

wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Yann897 said:
    Doesn't pre-season start next Thursday? I thought we would have done more business by now if I'm being honest. Hopefully a busy week ahead.
    Technically it’s 4 players if Mitchell is done which is a lot more than usual before pre season, I think Jones has put un needed pressure on himself by saying it’ll be done when in hindsight it’s so rare to have your squad sorted by then but hopefully 2/3 next week and that’ll take us up to 6/7 which isn’t to bad.
    Still not enough & the 4 or 5 new players ncludes 2 GK's. We are still a very long way off assembling a squad that could get top 6, let alone automatic promotion. I'm not sure if a couple of defenders, 2 GK's & a midfielder on the wrong side of 30 could be described as squad rebuilding. 

Ho hum. 

I get where your coming from Golfie, we’re miles off at the moment, but let’s hope we are in a much better place with signings in a months time.

Football forums, and patience don’t seem to go hand in hand.
    The difference this year is Jones set the expectation that the squad would largely be in place in time for preseason.

With that being less than a week away it’s not looking like it’ll happen. We need around 8-10 signings and a handful of players to move on.
    Did he say he will have the squad in place or he would like to have the majority of the squad in place?

the problem is that the majority want it to be the first statement and are hanging on it, winding themselves up and others up because they can’t see it happening.

if and I know it’s an if and we have 2-3 in next week and another 2-3 in during the rest of the window, jones has got his wish. And that is a lot of our business (not all) done in time for pre season training.
    Here’s what he said after we signed Mannion.

“We’d like to get the squad completed by our return date of June 27th,” he said. “We’ve worked tirelessly for the last three to four weeks in terms of arranging meetings with players. We’re trying to be bold in our recruitment. 

“I’m sure that by the time that we do get to the first day of pre-season, we’ll have the majority, if not all, of our squad in place. That’s so important because pre-season is a real big time, an important time to gel the squad and lay down certain things.

I must have missed Jones stating how many players he is going to sign and in which positions.
    I am guessing another GK, a striker and an attacking midfielder, but would appreciate the facts.
    Cheers.
    True, he's never stated how many players he wants in & maybe he's happy with just the ones we've signed plus Mitchell, a GK and A.N.Other.

But if so its not enough & we will struggle massively. But all we can do is wait & see.  
    It is possible he doesn't want many more signings. We have:

3 keepers
    LB: Small, Edun, Edwards
    CB: REG, Jones, Gillesphey, Mitchell, Ness
    RB: Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe
    Midfield: Berry, Coventry, Anderson, Taylor
    Wingers: Campbell 
    Strikers: May, Chuks, Leaburn, Kanu

I've not included the younger kids or people like Fraser who will likely go.

So that's already a 23 man squad when Mitchell signs. Assumption would be that we will definitely add a striker and then i guess we probably need a wide attacker/winger and an attacking midfielder.

Beyond that i can't see us signing anyone else unless a player leaves (like May). Highly unlikely we're going to be making another 5/6/7 signings, especially when Jones has previously said he wanted a smaller, more streamlined squad.

That squad is far too similar to the one which ended the season 
    Even assuming Edwards is better than Edun and Berry is better than Fiorini/ Bakinson , the squad isn’t any stronger, having lost Dobson.  
    Coventry far better long term then Dobson so already Coventry Berry and one other is looking a far better midfield then Dobson and Anderson 

NO HE ISN'T...you really do have a hang up on Dobson don't you...🤦‍♂️
    That's because he refuses to blame the management for anything. 
    Selling Dobson and May are both good decisions in Ronnie's world.
    Dobson rushed of and signed a ridiculous contract when like 99% of players wait to see what options they have at the end of the season .. Dobson not played at a high level in league one and is not good enough for the championship hence Charlton offer of a two year deal … fact not one club in England made an offer the only offer he had was from Hungary .. that tells you how other managers see him
    as well .. May is simple it’s between Jones and May .. If Jones don’t see him as a starter then it’s down to May to decide if he stays and fights for his spot or jump ship …. All transfers in and out is now down to Jones .  
    Regarding your last sentence. 
    Jones had better bring in better players than Dobson and May otherwise it's on him
    Say it again Coventry and Berry are better then Dobson 

• Options
    edited June 22
    Coventry and Berry have four legs and poor old Dobbo only has two.
    It would be like a race between a cat and a tortoise.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I predict if May goes it will go down in Charlton history as infamous as when Kermogant was sold, at a similar age.
    Can anybody tell me when deliberately selling a proven goal scorer has paid off for us? I have been around a long time and cannot think of an example.And I do not mean paid off because we needed the money, re Robert Lee,  which apparently we do not at present unless we have been fed the usual pack of lies.
    Hales ….. moved Flanagan inside and he proved just as good in fact a far better footballer 
    Nope. We did not get promoted after Hales left.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    But when we got Hales back from West Ham, we almost immediately sold Flanagan for 650 grand.  Kinda counter intuitive example. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Coventry and Berry have four legs and poor old Dobbo only has two.
    It would be like a race between a cat and a tortoise.
    But….tortoises and cats both have four legs? And even dobbo could beat a tortoise with a head start.
  • Options
    Not got Twitter (X)...
    Someone just posted on Huddersfield forum called Chris Reader...🤷‍♂️,claiming to have seen Alfie today playing cricket, and heard him saying he is hoping to get deal done by the weekend...
    Don't know how much in true, just hope none of it...🤞
    Was he batting or bowling?this could be significant…
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    We need a big lump up front ? is Simon Maekinok still playing ?
    Still banging them in. Spent last season at Hvidovre in the Danish Super League. (Total number of goals banged in = 3)
    I've never seen a player so tall who managed to get short by jumping. Honestly the worse ive seen down here up front.
  • Options
    Not got Twitter (X)...
    Someone just posted on Huddersfield forum called Chris Reader...🤷‍♂️,claiming to have seen Alfie today playing cricket, and heard him saying he is hoping to get deal done by the weekend...
    Don't know how much in true, just hope none of it...🤞
    Was he batting or bowling?this could be significant…
    Actually I assume batting and he’d be most comfortable at the…. Striker’s end, I imagine. 

Nice to see you all. And I will get my coat.
  • Options
    edited June 22
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Conversely, can you give an example where keeping one has “worked”?

Everyone would’ve thought you barking mad if you’d said selling Mendonca in 1998 and Hunt in 2000 were the optimal decision. No one would’ve supported selling BWP in 2012 or Lyle Taylor in 2019 either but both ended up contributing less than was expected the following season. Fifth example, keeping Darren Bent after his big season in 2005-06 didn’t save us the following season either.
    So, put simply  you do not have an example where deliberately selling a goalscorer has worked?
    Of course there is never any guarantee that a couple of good seasons will be repeated and players can get injured. But that is a different story.
    Bit presumptuous. Examples have already been given in the last few days, either on here or the Alfie May thread. I don’t remember which.