Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• edited July 2
    Older and worse than May. Perfect logic Charlton. 
    You don’t know that.

Is Godden  better than May? All the evidence suggests he isn’t. 
    I don’t know how you’ve looked at Alfie May playing in League One and Matt Godden playing in the Championship and decided that you can conclude that Alfie is definitively the better player.

Last time Godden played in League One he scored a goal every 141 minutes. Last three seasons Alfie has scored every 151, 168 and 154 minutes.
    That’s not me arguing that Godden is definitively the better player either by the way. At this point I’d say it’s very hard to properly compare the two. 

Godden did well in League One but also it was a few years ago now and he is older. But if his game relies on instincts and finishing ability, the small amount of pace he might’ve lost shouldn’t be an issue at our current level. We will have to wait and see.

The only way we are going to know for sure is when he pulls on the Charlton shirt starting in August.
  • Older and worse than May. Perfect logic Charlton. 
    You don’t know that.

What evidence? 

How many seasons has May played in the championship?

I’m not defending Gosden here, neither am I going all Ronnie Moore and acting like he is Christ reincarnated but I don’t this k there is any clear evidence to suggest May is better
    You don’t know that.

Championship experience says he is .. he a jones type of player strong , can hold the ball up not May strengths 
    You don’t know that.

What evidence? 

How many seasons has May played in the championship?

I’m not defending Gosden here, neither am I going all Ronnie Moore and acting like he is Christ reincarnated but I don’t this k there is any clear evidence to suggest May is better
    All these racing names you should be on the Sport of Kings thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Godden is 33 at the end of the month and two years older than Connor Wickham - hope it all turns out well though
  • An Hungarian twitter feed on the Dobbo thread says he’s pulled out due to family reasons and is no longer in Hungary 🤔
    Signing for Millwall
  • Oakster2 said:
    Godden is 33 at the end of the month and two years older than Connor Wickham - hope it all turns out well though
    Wickham picked up a few injuries in his short spell with us while Godden made over 30 apps in 22/23 and over 40 in 23/24.
    You don’t know that.

I don’t know how you’ve looked at Alfie May playing in League One and Matt Godden playing in the Championship and decided that you can conclude that Alfie is definitively the better player.

Last time Godden played in League One he scored a goal every 141 minutes. Last three seasons Alfie has scored every 151, 168 and 154 minutes.
    That’s not me arguing that Godden is definitively the better player either by the way. At this point I’d say it’s very hard to properly compare the two. 

Godden did well in League One but also it was a few years ago now and he is older. But if his game relies on instincts and finishing ability, the small amount of pace he might’ve lost shouldn’t be an issue at our current level. We will have to wait and see.

The only way we are going to know for sure is when he pulls on the Charlton shirt starting in August.
    I honestly wouldn't bother arguing with that twat mate
  • Nothing on the OS yet, time for a double signing announcement of Godden and Ahdame, now that would be good..
    Talks still on going ..
    Whats going, and why are our talks on it?
  • My concern with a forward line of Godden, Leaburn, Ahadme, Aneke and Kanu is not ability, but fitness. Ahadme has spent a fair bit of time out injured in recent season, Godden is 33 and not played as a regular starter for years. We know about Aneke and Leaburn’s issues 

At least more of them are able to play up front on their own, so in an injury crisis we might be ok. But striker injuries keep derailing our seasons so I think it’s definitely a risk when we are losing a player in May that has a very good fitness record 
  • No way the Hungarians just cancel Dobsons contract, we must be compensating...

• An Hungarian twitter feed on the Dobbo thread says he’s pulled out due to family reasons and is no longer in Hungary 🤔
    Signing for Millwall
    Wash your mouth out...🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Oakster2 said:
    Godden is 33 at the end of the month and two years older than Connor Wickham - hope it all turns out well though
    He's also played more games in the last two seasons than Connor Wickham has in about the last 8 years. They're not really comparable
    All good - as long as he’s more mobile than CR7 - age catches up with us all in the end
  • Redhenry said:
    No way the Hungarians just cancel Dobsons contract, we must be compensating...

What would be be compensating...🤔
  • NabySarr said:
    My concern with a forward line of Godden, Leaburn, Ahadme, Aneke and Kanu is not ability, but fitness. Ahadme has spent a fair bit of time out injured in recent season, Godden is 33 and not played as a regular starter for years. We know about Aneke and Leaburn’s issues 

At least more of them are able to play up front on their own, so in an injury crisis we might be ok. But striker injuries keep derailing our seasons so I think it’s definitely a risk when we are losing a player in May that has a very good fitness record 
    I really am not concerned about Godden’s fitness. He started more games last season in the Championship than Kanu did for us in League One. 

The reason he wasn’t getting in the team was because of the money they’ve spent on higher calibre forwards like Haji Wright and Ellis Simms. The fact he still got 23 starts last season is quite impressive IMO
    What about the previous 4 seasons before that? Signing a player that age who hasn’t played regular football as a starter for years has got to be a little bit concerning right? Especially when any striker we bring in basically needs an impeccable fitness record given Leaburn/Aneke 
  • Godden has scored 14 at L1 in two seasons, few assists. That was four and five seasons ago. Is he in front of Aneke? Kanu? Miles when he returns? Or our promised stellar signing (it was two plus an Alfie replacement)

He was on Champ wages, how much are we paying him to be a bit player?
  • Redhenry said:
    No way the Hungarians just cancel Dobsons contract, we must be compensating...

As said elsewhere their main sponsor has pulled out and since Dobbo 'signed' they have changed manager so maybe it suits them too?
  • Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Also Birmingham will think they are guaranteeing goals but we thought the same about ladapo when he walked through the door and look what happened with him
    Behave!
    Alfie has done it 3 years in a row for sides struggling in League 1, not the runaway league1 winners!
    Shall we remind ourselves about Cole Stockton? Sometimes being the main man in a struggling team is beneficial for a player. May strikes me as someone who wants to be the big fish 
    So he can be picked up by Lee Bowyer?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!