Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I don't understand all the "he's played at a higher level" talk. He was promoted with them and retained as a squad player for the next 4 seasons. I'm surprised how many people here have been following Coventry's games regularly, as I keep seeing how much of a more well-rounded player he is compared to May. 

This isn't to say he isn't a good signing, but there's a long way to go before it looks like we got a good deal out of selling May to a promotion rival. 
    What kind of twisted logic is this?

If Alfie’s next couple of years at Birmingham follow Godden’s path, it would be held up as evidence that we made a mistake selling him.
  • Let's just wait and see, don't panic!
  • Why the silence from the club today? Feels a bit strange, not a single tweet and Cawley has confirmed Godden. 
  • edited July 2
    RedRobin said:
    Why the silence from the club today? Feels a bit strange, not a single tweet and Cawley has confirmed Godden. 
    Guessing we want to announce it around the same as Birmingham announce May… if Birmingham haven’t done their media bits yet that might explain it
  • Cool... At least we've got the cover in now then for May, rather than having to worry about it later in the window.
  • NabySarr said:
    My concern with a forward line of Godden, Leaburn, Ahadme, Aneke and Kanu is not ability, but fitness. Ahadme has spent a fair bit of time out injured in recent season, Godden is 33 and not played as a regular starter for years. We know about Aneke and Leaburn’s issues 

At least more of them are able to play up front on their own, so in an injury crisis we might be ok. But striker injuries keep derailing our seasons so I think it’s definitely a risk when we are losing a player in May that has a very good fitness record 
    I really am not concerned about Godden’s fitness. He started more games last season in the Championship than Kanu did for us in League One. 

The reason he wasn’t getting in the team was because of the money they’ve spent on higher calibre forwards like Haji Wright and Ellis Simms. The fact he still got 23 starts last season is quite impressive IMO
    Maybe not his fitness per se but seen quite a few comments saying he was on the decline (as to be expected at his age) so I am half expecting him to be another Arter or Watson. Hopefully we have enough not to put loads of pressure on him to be a 15+ man. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't understand all the "he's played at a higher level" talk. He was promoted with them and retained as a squad player for the next 4 seasons. I'm surprised how many people here have been following Coventry's games regularly, as I keep seeing how much of a more well-rounded player he is compared to May. 

This isn't to say he isn't a good signing, but there's a long way to go before it looks like we got a good deal out of selling May to a promotion rival. 
    He’s played more minutes at championship level (7,185), then at any other level previously. Averaging 61 minutes a game over his 117 games. 

Aflie May has played 0 minutes at championship level. 

Not arguing who the better player is. But Gooden certainly has played at a higher level. 
    I'm not arguing that he hasn't played at a higher level, I'm saying that it's not a predictor of how good a player will be in a Charlton shirt - but for some reason, multiple people are latching onto it. 

Ben Watson played lots of football at a higher level, CBT played most of his football at a lower level. It isn't significant.
  • Nothing on the OS yet, time for a double signing announcement of Godden and Ahadme, now that would be good..
    Treble signing with Dobbo
  • Any idea on the fee involved?
  • Sponsored links:

• CafcSCP said:
    Godden will be decent.
    Way more of a team player. Holds up the ball, brings others into play and very intelligent off the bal.
    never been a rapid player so won’t lose his game due to pace.
    In no way is he a May replacement, and it would be wrong to compare them.

Other than the fact we’re literally replacing May with him. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Scoham said:

I’m expecting it to be Godden / Kanu and Leaburn / New Target Man plus Aneke.

I’d be surprised if we signed a third striker and sent Kanu out on loan. He didn’t sign a long term deal only to be loaned out, and Jones likes developing young players.
    So it’s Ahadme as the 5th? That would be a very decent front line
    Add Walton as the GK, Sonny Bradley as the experienced cb, Bishop plus another attacking midfielder/playmaker and that’s a promotion pushing team
    Far too positive for my liking, remember Alfie May is leaving!
  • Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Also Birmingham will think they are guaranteeing goals but we thought the same about ladapo when he walked through the door and look what happened with him
    Behave!
    Alfie has done it 3 years in a row for sides struggling in League 1, not the runaway league1 winners!
    Shall we remind ourselves about Cole Stockton? Sometimes being the main man in a struggling team is beneficial for a player. May strikes me as someone who wants to be the big fish 
    Now you're just chatting absolute bollocks about someone's personality.
    Firstly I'm chatting the worst shit in history for saying Miles Leaburn is really good, now a personal speculation that even uses 'strikes me as' rather than 'is' about how our chest-puffed, extremely outgoing and chipper forward who likes to try 45-yard volleys might just want to be the main man means I'm essentially the worst human being alive. This is fucking desperate stuff, pal
  • Valley11 said:
    Scoham said:

I’d be surprised if we signed a third striker and sent Kanu out on loan. He didn’t sign a long term deal only to be loaned out, and Jones likes developing young players.
    So it’s Ahadme as the 5th? That would be a very decent front line
    Add Walton as the GK, Sonny Bradley as the experienced cb, Bishop plus another attacking midfielder/playmaker and that’s a promotion pushing team
    Ahadme, Etete or someone similar I would think so. Godden doesn’t seem to be a target man like they are, we need a proper alternative to Leaburn. I’d imagine they’d all rotate and be subbed a lot to keep them fresh and keep up the intensity and pressing.

He’s played more minutes at championship level (7,185), then at any other level previously. Averaging 61 minutes a game over his 117 games. 

Aflie May has played 0 minutes at championship level. 

Not arguing who the better player is. But Gooden certainly has played at a higher level. 
    I'm not arguing that he hasn't played at a higher level, I'm saying that it's not a predictor of how good a player will be in a Charlton shirt - but for some reason, multiple people are latching onto it. 

Ben Watson played lots of football at a higher level, CBT played most of his football at a lower level. It isn't significant.
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment, and it’s why I will never judge a signing until they’ve played. Statistically speaking players who play at a higher level will on the whole be better then players who play below them.
  • Older and worse than May. Perfect logic Charlton. 
    You don’t know that.

Is Godden  better than May? All the evidence suggests he isn’t. 
    What evidence?
  • Scoham said:

His performances last season justify him being part of our squad as well. I think he’s already developed past the “loan him out” stage and needs to do his next stage of development here. 
  • No positivity allowed until Godden scores his 24th goal of the season. Until then he is no better than Ben Watson or Harry Arter
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!