Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• CafcSCP said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Mike said:
    Not keen on the Ipswich fella for 1 mil. Lot of money for someone relatively unproven
    Would hope the up front part of the fee is south of the £300k they paid Burton with most of the rest on appearances given his injury record.
    Only played 8 times for them (1 start) and not prolific in any of his loans.
    Id say 11 in 29 is pretty decent 
    I know he got a bad injury, so I won't judge the return figures, but quite a lot of those goals are penalties. 
    Is 3 of 11 quite a lot?
  • CafcSCP said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Mike said:
    Not keen on the Ipswich fella for 1 mil. Lot of money for someone relatively unproven
    Would hope the up front part of the fee is south of the £300k they paid Burton with most of the rest on appearances given his injury record.
    I know he got a bad injury, so I won't judge the return figures, but quite a lot of those goals are penalties. 
    How many of May's were penalties?
  • CafcSCP said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Mike said:
    Is 3 of 11 quite a lot?
    I only skimmed his Cambridge highlights so it looked like more at the time, I guess I wasn’t watching! 

4/13 were penalties so not a bad return at all for not a full season.
  • CafcSCP said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Mike said:
    A lot of mays 27 were also pens. Glad we e signed a pen taker rather than agonise watching big chucks
  • CafcSCP said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Mike said:
    A lot of mays 27 were also pens. Glad we e signed a pen taker rather than agonise watching big chucks
    Only 1 was in the league, I asked the question but looked it up myself 
  • J BLOCK said:
    fenaddick said:
    Could Dr Will Abbott prove to be the best signing for our forward line? If he works magic and gets Miles and Chuks more available then I think we’ll be ok up top
    A fully fit Chuks is not only our best striker, but the best striker in the league. You talk about players coming back from injury being a new signing, but getting Chuks available for the majority of the season would be the best signing of the season. 
    Classic Charlton fan overhyping, Chuks best striker in league - have a day off. 
  • sam3110 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Mike said:
    Which is a separate problem in itself. We haven't consistently won penalties for years
  • Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:
    We wouldn't sign Ahadme for that sort of money, unless he wasn't expected to be a regular starter. Him and Leaburn would certainly give us height and strength up top, with Chuks on the bench once the defenders have been softened up.

Indeed it's almost a glut of strikers, together with Godden and Kanu, 5 potential first choice strikers is a lot for 2 places as Kanu won't be happy with 15 minutes from the bench, twice a month. Maybe he can go on loan for 6 months, if we can bring in a genuine creative and goalscoring midfielder (an Aaron Collins type).
    None of these 5 strikers came close to playing a full season last time out. Leaburn and Aneke are both iffy fitnesswise. And they scored about 27 goals between the 5 of them last season, whereas Alfie got 23 on his own. So a huge amount still to prove from this strike force.
    Wait so let me get this straight, they didn't play a full season, and also didn't score many goals?

I mean tbh if they didn't play all season but scored 60 goals then I'd be asking how on earth we've signed any of them as they'd all be banging in hat tricks whenever they actually played!
  • sam3110 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Mike said:
    6 of the 27 goals were pens.
  • Scoham said:
    Understandable but also worrying.

To me that sounds like they’ve run out of the initial targets they agreed they’d be happy with (at this stage) and waiting until someone better becomes available later in the window.

Maybe a Jed Steer / Declan Rudd type loan late in the window?
    It sounds like Rudd and Davies were our original choices and both now not options. If this is the club taking a step back to reassess and not just signing another keeper for the sake of it, that's a good thing. If we end up with 2 out of Mannion, AMB and Isted being first and second choice GK then we're in a bit of trouble.
  • Scoham said:

To me that sounds like they’ve run out of the initial targets they agreed they’d be happy with (at this stage) and waiting until someone better becomes available later in the window.

Is it really worrying?
    We currently have three goalkeepers and whilst an upgrade would be most welcome, there really isn’t any urgency. Plenty of good goalkeepers will also become available for loans etc as squads get finalised.
    I would much prefer we concentrate on getting an attacking midfielder.
  • We wouldn't sign Ahadme for that sort of money, unless he wasn't expected to be a regular starter. Him and Leaburn would certainly give us height and strength up top, with Chuks on the bench once the defenders have been softened up.

Indeed it's almost a glut of strikers, together with Godden and Kanu, 5 potential first choice strikers is a lot for 2 places as Kanu won't be happy with 15 minutes from the bench, twice a month. Maybe he can go on loan for 6 months, if we can bring in a genuine creative and goalscoring midfielder (an Aaron Collins type).
    Almost replicating the Morris and Adebayo pairing that Jones put together at Luton before leaving for Southampton - He can then call upon Aneke to replace one of them, or can switch and stick Godden / Kanu in there, who I guess would be the Cornick / Hylton type Striker.
    Or were selling Miles in the new year.
  • Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:

Is it really worrying?
    We currently have three goalkeepers and whilst an upgrade would be most welcome, there really isn’t any urgency. Plenty of good goalkeepers will also become available for loans etc as squads get finalised.
    If we start the season without a new top quality #1 then I'll be massively disappointed. It will cost us. That and the CBs was the clearest area in need of improvement. 
  • Ipswich will be happy with that if true, they've made a bigger profit on Ahadme than we have on May. 

In a way that is crazy considering the goal stats from each of them in last couple of years. I guess them being a premier league side now counts for something.  
    Ahadme being 8 years younger with the potential to improve will count some way towards that.

May likely only has a couple of years (if that) in his prime.
    In a couple of years May will be the same age as our newly signed striker is now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Southbank said:
    We wouldn't sign Ahadme for that sort of money, unless he wasn't expected to be a regular starter. Him and Leaburn would certainly give us height and strength up top, with Chuks on the bench once the defenders have been softened up.

None of these 5 strikers came close to playing a full season last time out. Leaburn and Aneke are both iffy fitnesswise. And they scored about 27 goals between the 5 of them last season, whereas Alfie got 23 on his own. So a huge amount still to prove from this strike force.
    Wait so let me get this straight, they didn't play a full season, and also didn't score many goals?

I mean tbh if they didn't play all season but scored 60 goals then I'd be asking how on earth we've signed any of them as they'd all be banging in hat tricks whenever they actually played!
    Apart from Kanu, and possibly Godden, they did not play anywhere near a full season because of injuries. Prior to last season only Godden was around to play a full season, which he did not. So from both a fitness  and goal scoring  track record point of view, a lot to prove.
  • Interesting to see people's responses to the projected Ahadme fee. Lots of concern that £1m is too high but surely that should also put to bed some posters' fears that the owners aren't willing to pay what they need to? At the very least it should tell people that Nathan Jones is being properly backed by these owners to a pretty extensive degree, which can only be a good thing
    But then what would people have to moan about 😀
    I wouldn’t worry about that, this is Charlton and to keep us happy they never fail to give us something to moan about.
  • Isn't it funny how quickly pessimism can turn into something resembling optimism? 
    It’s called alcohol 
  • edited July 3
    Chunes said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:

Is it really worrying?
    If we start the season without a new top quality #1 then I'll be massively disappointed. It will cost us. That and the CBs was the clearest area in need of improvement. 
    I empathise with both viewpoints here and was trying to get it across in my initial reaction post.

The need for a proper #1 GK is obvious, otherwise we wouldn’t have gone after Davies so aggressively.

I also think it’s right to not just sign whoever is available now, especially if they aren’t any better than what we have.

It’s a bit of a forced gamble and I support them in their decision because there’s still time to get it right, it’s only the prospect of starting the season with 2/3 of Mannion, Isted and AMB just makes me a bit uncomfortable is all.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Swisdom said:
    fenaddick said:
    Could Dr Will Abbott prove to be the best signing for our forward line? If he works magic and gets Miles and Chuks more available then I think we’ll be ok up top
    He is proving his worth apparently.  His treatment of Miles has been absolutely spot-on I'm told.  Targets that were set well in advance are being hit TO THE DAY.

No rushing him back half-baked.  He's bigger and stronger than ever but still has those magic soft feet.  Hopefully gonna be our Gamechanger this year

If he can get near enough full seasons from Chuks and Leaburn he's got the right to go to Rodwells office and ask for whatever he wants because that will be incredible work. 
    I spot a flaw in your plan.
  • Scoham said:
    https://x.com/richcawleyslp/status/1808480215561027991?s=46&t=A-w3Eq0EWWpjMxring904Q

Cawley confirms we’re working on signing Adhadme (who is apparently a fitness freak).

We'll soon put pay to that.
  • sam3110 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Mike said:
    Sam was talking about ahadme (I think)
  • Chunes said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:

Is it really worrying?
    What about creativity? Who is going to actually create anything for the strikers we are signing?
  • sam3110 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:
    Mike said:

I'll take back all I said about Alfie, he was not so good after all.
  • If the option is Joe Lumley or to wait id rather wait. Have a good mate who's a Boro fan so saw them play a couple of times when he was there and was dogshit in the couple of games I saw, but he did go on to receive Reading player of the year the season after so shows how much I know! 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!