Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• Eddie Howe is 46 years old, I still think of him as a fresh faced 20 year old ! .. he is reportedly NOT interested in the England job though 'high on the list' of those wanted for the job
  • Just seen it's been announced Southgate is gonna be on Strictly Come Dancing...🙄🤔
    Announced or rumoured?

Would be very surprised, think he'll want a few months off then look for a club job.
    Announced on Good Morning Britain this morning, so bona fide...🤷‍♂️
    I was thinking whether I’d bother watching SCD anymore after the latest nonsense of bullying etc & now that’s confirmed it.
    It’s in the bin. I have no appetite for watching Southgate’s girating hips thank you very much.
    Alleged...🤷‍♂️
  • Why not Sarina Weigman? 
  • edited July 17
    Carsley is English, he has an Irish grandma. He got the chance to play international football with Ireland and he took it. 

Won’t hold it against him, I have ancestry from a country that isn’t England and given the opportunity, would do the same.
    This. I don’t think anybody would have had problem if Declan Rice scored the winning goal on Sunday - despite his having played for Ireland 3 times 
  • Just seen it's been announced Southgate is gonna be on Strictly Come Dancing...🙄🤔
    Announced or rumoured?

Would be very surprised, think he'll want a few months off then look for a club job.
    Announced on Good Morning Britain this morning, so bona fide...🤷‍♂️
    I was thinking whether I’d bother watching SCD anymore after the latest nonsense of bullying etc & now that’s confirmed it.
    It’s in the bin. I have no appetite for watching Southgate’s girating hips thank you very much.
    Alleged...🤷‍♂️
    Why I said nonsense.
  • edited July 17
    Why not Sarina Weigman? 
    If she can do the job, don't care... Only one I've got issue with is Poch what with him being Argentinian.

Usually I wouldn't have issue with where a Manager / Player comes from...

Tuchel for example I've got no problems with - We've got a rivalry with Germany, but historical issues with them off the pitch is long behind both countries; However Argentina have shown over recent years (They still harbour issues on the pitch, and in the stands) that they still cant let the Falklands go, so the lack of trust remains there!!

Gareth Southgate have been considering going on Strictly for years and he made his mind up after being told to Foxtrot Oscar by the fans in the group games.

My Crystal ball shows me:
    His American Smooth is a delight but his paso double is going astray.
    He keeps his head up fine for the Viennese Waltz but when Gareth is suppose to attempt the quick step he ends up doing the back step.

The Judges feel that Southgate have plenty of flare and flair but just holds back and is too inhibited.
    Craig Revel Norwood said just let it out darling and be fab-u-lous.

I predict he will go past Blackpool with a fine cha-cha- cha and reach the final but will be hesitant at the end and stick when he should twist and be a runner up.

I'm looking forward to his Couples Choice dance, dedicated to Kalvin Phillips.
    Unfortunately too large a percentage of English fans are thick bigots, having a woman in charge would be suicide.
    Have no issue with her being a woman, my issue would be a lack of experience in the men’s game. 
    If she can do the job, don't care... Only one I've got issue with is Poch what with him being Argentinian.

Tuchel for example I've got no problems with - We've got a rivalry with Germany, but historical issues with them off the pitch is long behind both countries; However Argentina have shown over recent years (They still harbour issues on the pitch, and in the stands) that they still cant let the Falklands go, so the lack of trust remains there!!
    Don’t worry about him being an Argie - they have experience with sinking ships. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 17
    Why not Sarina Weigman? 

As a supporter of Women's football and girls and women playing sport the main reason why Sarina Weigman isn't on a list is how can the 1st mens team she's in charge of be the English national men's team.
    Start with a low team to understand the behaviour of men when their together in a sporting environment.
    Normally childish !

She could do the tactics no problem but biology is a real thing and males and females coming from different planets. 
    In kids football not really an issue once the police checks are carried out.
    Ok she doesn't have to deal with women having periods but men's ego's would be a issue with Sabrina I would imagine as she only has daughters !

Phil Neville should never had got the English Women's job as I didn't think he had any experience of being a manager of girls or women ?

Let's move on and keep it to realistic contenders for the job.

• Eddie Howe is 46 years old, I still think of him as a fresh faced 20 year old ! .. he is reportedly NOT interested in the England job though 'high on the list' of those wanted for the job
    murmurs emanating from geordieland that EH not best pleased with transfers and budget etc 
    the ownership is now totally Saudi based, Staveley and her spouse have sold up, any dissent obviously verboten in SA
    Based on achievements up to about a year ago her coaching and management credentials stack up to anybody's
    Latterly she's blundered along with the same hyper conservative negative terrible football that blighted Southgate's direction of the men's team
    In practice she speaks far better English than any of the players or other coaching staff so I'd imagine communication could be a serious problem.

Female managers in male football is one thick glass ceiling that a bunch of witless corrupt old wankers like the mandarins at the FA wouldn't entertain breaking - until the chief sponsor makes it a condition for fuelling their gravy train
    Unfortunately too large a percentage of English fans are thick bigots, having a woman in charge would be suicide.
    Never mind about the judgemental trip. It would be impractical and there are much better qualified and experienced options.
  • thenewbie said:
    Leuth said:
    GS did a sterling job and got back pride of the Nation. He's made his decision and quickly. Neither Potter or Howe inspire me, nor Carsley come to that. I've said it before and will say it again, the FA need to break the bank and go for Klopp or Pep. I'm not stuck up on 'he must be British" Why? No British manager has been successful  in the PL for years.
    However I fear it'll be one of Potter or Howe. 
    Potter and Howe are good managers, much more tactically adept than Southgate. What's to fear?
    Potter did well at Brighton but not at Chelsea. Too many big names at Stamford Bridge may be?
    Howe is a safe pair of hands, but doesn't set the game on fire in my opinion. 
    We have a great squad of talented players, we need a manager who can get the best out of them playing attacking football. Neither of the above are, for me, that person.
    There does seem to be that perception on here about Howe. Newcastle fans absolutely adore him for the brand of attacking football he has brought them and most say that it is the best since Keegan was in charge. This is reflected in some of their wins in the last two seasons:

Fulham (4-1), Brentford (5-1), Villa (4-0), Southampton (4-1), Leicester (3-0), West Ham (5-1), Spurs (6-1), Brighton (4-1), Villa (5-1), Sheffield United (8-0), PSG (4-1), Palace (4-0), Man Utd (3-0), Chelsea (4-1), Fulham (3-0), Spurs (4-0), Sheffield United (5-1), Brentford (4-2), Burnley (4-1), Wolves (3-0) and West Ham (4-3).

First season he was at Newcastle they were heading for relegation and hadn't won a single of their first 12 matches when he took over - they finished 11th and won 12 of their final 18 games. The following season they qualified for the Champions League in 4th and last season ended up in 7th after a horrific list of injuries. For a fair chunk of the season they were without 10 plus players and (not including those that missed a game here and there) the likes of  Tonali (banned and missed 30 PL matches), Pope (missed 23), Botman (missed 21), Barnes (missed 21), Anderson (missed 17), Isak (missed 8), Wilson (missed 18), Murphy (missed 17), Trippier (missed 10) and Joelinton (missed 18). The ones in bold would almost certainly be in their best starting XI but the likes of Barnes, Murphy and Wilson are viable starting players /potential game changing subs. 
    He should have had the job before Southgate. I’m not sure what else he is supposed to have achieved with that group of players. 
    Except of course he had not done any of those things at Newcastle at the time. Southgate was appointed in 2016, Howe didn't join Newcastle until 2021.

He's still probably the best candidate if it has to be English but saying he should have had it before Southgate is pure hindsight bias.
    I meant now but so what? Look what he achieved at Bournemouth. 
    Agree.
    To take Bournemouth from League 2 to the Premier and keep the club with the smallest ground and smallest support in the Premier for 5 seasons was amazing. Great coaching to turn Journeyman footballer's from the lower divisions like Daniels, Francis and Steve Cook into Premier players was nothing short of a miracle.
    DIdn't they just do what Wrexham are doing now? Loads of £££
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Eddie Howe is 46 years old, I still think of him as a fresh faced 20 year old ! .. he is reportedly NOT interested in the England job though 'high on the list' of those wanted for the job
    murmurs emanating from geordieland that EH not best pleased with transfers and budget etc 
    the ownership is now totally Saudi based, Staveley and her spouse have sold up, any dissent obviously verboten in SA
    watch this space
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Eddie Howe is 46 years old, I still think of him as a fresh faced 20 year old ! .. he is reportedly NOT interested in the England job though 'high on the list' of those wanted for the job
    Likely to be losing Gordon to Liverpool but club holding out for 30mil more than what's been offered so far.
    This was the case not so long ago but not anymore.
    Literally the only reason. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If we get a foreign manager, it feels important that they have Premier League experience and speak the language well. I don't understand why we wouldn't want one if we haven't got any English candidates with any sort of record of winning major tophies. 
  • Has Klopp ruled himself out? He’d be my pick. 
  • edited July 18
    It seems there may be a couple of issues with Klopp. Firstly he seems to want this year off and secondly, he may be being lined up for the Germany job after the World Cup. I'm not sure these are unsumountable. International management doesn't have to be a day to day job, and Klopp could easily base himself in Germany taking flights to games he needs to see and coming over for camps and games. Also, there is no guarantee the current Germany manager won't stay on if they do well and he does seem to have them playing.

Tuchel is an interesting one. He has won the Champions league with Chelsea. I can't stand him but it isn't, or at least shouldn't be a popularity contest.
  • edited July 18
    Let Klopp have the year off then. Qualifiers don’t even start until March. 
  • In all honesty, we would probably get through the qualifiers with any of us in charge.
  • In the three seasons since Howe has been in charge, Newcastle have spent £371m. In that same period, Spurs spent £440m. Yes Spurs lost Kane last season (30 PL goals in 2022-23) but Newcastle started with a much weaker squad than Spurs had when Howe took over. In those two full seasons Newcastle finished 4th and 7th whereas Spurs finished 8th and 5th. Newcastle's points total for those two seasons were 131 vs Spurs 126. 

I always think that how good a Manager is reflected by how he is rated by the club he manages. Most Newcastle fans were cynical about his appointment at the time but certainly do not think that he was "found out" last season because they recognised quite how badly they were affected by injuries (the equivalent of missing six of their best players for the duration of the season) and the ban of Tonoli. And they really do want Howe to stay. Not just because of the football they play but because of the visible improvement of those players that were there when he arrived. 
    Fair enough, wouldn't touch him with a barge pole may have been a tad harsh but he wouldn't be my choice, is that fair enough? :)

Looks like he's the overwhelming favourite so I'd better get used to the idea.  He'd be mad to turn the job down while its on offer.  Would be guaranteed to walk into a job if he left the England job at a later date.

You should reach Poch's book.  You'd see him in a completely different light.  Poch isn't like that at all.  I'd give him the job over Howe.
  • how come there's no mention of Wayne Rooney ?
    Because he's about as successful at football management as I am at pole vaulting.