Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• He will probably be kept in the role until Pep is available next Summer and the FA will try for him. Media outlets seem to suggest that Pep is the FA's 'dream candidate'!
  • He will probably be kept in the role until Pep is available next Summer and the FA will try for him. Media outlets seem to suggest that Pep is the FA's 'dream candidate'!
    Well that would be a positive if it happens.
  • Thomas Frank must be in with a shout.
  • Bilko said:
    Thomas Frank must be in with a shout.
    Longer odds than Mark Noble.
  • There is an English manager who got a team to two Euro finals and a world cup semi-final.

That's the sort of track record we need in our new boss.
  • I would prefer Klopp.
    Nope, and he won't take it anyway, too big of an affinity with the People's Republic of Scouseland 
  • It'll be Pep next summer. He's been asked about it but never said no.
  • edited October 14
    I would prefer Klopp.
    So would I but he’s already agreed to join Red Bull Leipzig in January. 

• I would prefer Klopp.
    So would I but he’s already agreed to join Red Bull Leipzig in January. 

It’ll be interesting to see how long that lasts, he’s joined Red Bull to oversee things rather than one of their clubs. 
  • There is an English manager who got a team to two Euro finals and a world cup semi-final.

That's the sort of track record we need in our new boss.
    Is that the same one that lost us 2 Euros & 1 WC ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I definitely think he'll leave City next summer - final year of his contract and no suggestion yet on a new one, Txiki Begiristain leaving, the charges etc in the background.

Doesn't mean he'll want to manage England, mind.
  • edited October 14
    Personally I would like to see Pep go to a League two side with a modest amount of money and see if his brand of only having a Plan A where you have to be excellent in and out of procession can work with Journeyman and League 2 teens and not the very best players that he has worked with at Barcelona, Bayern and City.

The above would be interesting but pure fantasy!

No doubt a highly motivated innovative head coach and Manager is Guardiola and the English FA would've to pay more than Capello received. Probably treble but not many English fans would complain.
  • I could see Pep managing Spain or a country in the Middle East over England. 

Obviously it's completely down to him because if he decides he wants to manage a job, any club would immediately sack their manager for him. 
  • edited October 14
    I could see Pep managing Spain or a country in the Middle East over England. 

Obviously it's completely down to him because if he decides he wants to manage a job, any club would immediately sack their manager for him. 
    He's said in the past that he can't see himself managing the Spainish national team:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11498114/pep-guardiola-wants-international-job-but-not-with-spain

Strange one as I get the Catalan thing but he got 47 caps for then so can't have minded that much?
  • edited October 14
    Absolutely no way he manages Spain. The landscape has changed since he played and there was some furore a few years ago about pro Catalan politicians being imprisoned 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Will there be uproar when he doesn't sing the National Anthem?

Jokes aside though, he's a very good manager and most definitely better than any English manager out there who is available. I'm sure there will be a bit of controversy though over a German managing England.

For me personally if there was an elite English manager who could win us something then that would of course be the preference. But there isn't, so i don't mind us looking for a top foreign manager. If we win something i couldn't care less if Trump was our manager.
    I think it’s worth waiting for Howe to be sacked by Newcastle .  
    Hasn’t really done a huge amount though has he, one good season with Newcastle outside of that he hasn’t really taken very good players and made them better.

You can not be serious !
    Antony Gordon, Callum Wilson, Joelinton, Livramento,
    Lewis Miley, Jacob Murphy, Bruno Guimaraes, Almiron,
    Nathan Ake etc

Plus taking Bournemouth from League 2 to Premier  (had a time out at Burnley) until he got stale.

Steve Cook, Harry Arter, Matt Ritchie, Charlie Daniels, etc and turning Simon Francis from a failed CAFC player in League 1 into a Premiership player and Captain.

It runs into hundreds of players he have improved individually and as team players but if you believe that then fine.
    Yes but apart from them!!!
  • edited October 14
    I could see Pep managing Spain or a country in the Middle East over England. 

He's said in the past that he can't see himself managing the Spainish national team:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11498114/pep-guardiola-wants-international-job-but-not-with-spain

Strange one as I get the Catalan thing but he got 47 caps for then so can't have minded that much?
    People didn't seem so political, or at least so vocal about it, 25 - 30 years ago.
  • edited October 15
    I definitely think he'll leave City next summer - final year of his contract and no suggestion yet on a new one, Txiki Begiristain leaving, the charges etc in the background.

Doesn't mean he'll want to manage England, mind.
    I think there's a chance we'll know by the next international break. Apparently when he's renewed his contract before it's always been in November and he flies to Abu Dhabi to sign in person. So if we see him there during the next break then chances are he will renew.

A couple of City insiders seem to think that he'll renew for 1 more year to a) complete 10 years and b) help with the transition of the new guy coming in to replace Begiristain.

Personally i don't think he'll be the next England manager, i think he might want to take a break and have a year out whenever he finishes at City and then see what's about. 

Realistically though where's he going to go? He can't manage another PL club, he can't manage Madrid, he's already been at Bayern. To me that only leaves PSG or a top Italian side. I guess he could go to Saudi and earn about 1m a week managing there but i think he'd still prefer to manage at the top level.

He played in Italy before and i believe he speaks Italian so if he does take another club job my bet would be in Italy.
  • Thomas Tuchel being interviewed by FA
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    Thomas Tuchel being interviewed by FA
    I would hope they interview a few people but the fact that he’s attending it is quite telling . 

• ross1 said:
    Wouldn't be my choice but I guess he's a cheaper option than somebody already in a job
  • edited October 15
    ross1 said:
    Wouldn't be my choice but I guess he's a cheaper option than somebody already in a job
    He definitely won't be cheap.

In his last two club roles he was earning more than twice what Southgate was with England.
  • He wouldn’t be my choice but I can’t think of anyone suitably available. 
  • One thing Southgate inarguably did well was bring together the players and make the England camp a positive place to be. There may have been some players here and there who didn't like him but overall the England team has been incredibly harmonious for years following Southgate's work. Replacing him with a manager who has fallen out with every single human being he has ever met in his life would certainly be a choice.
  • No issue with Tuchel as he's a winner. However, I'd love to see what Pep could do with this England team. 
  • edited October 15
    Tuchel is really good at tournament football, has one of the best records of any manager in Champions League football and I can see that translating well to World Cups and Euros.

Bit of a hot head reputation and I worry that it will shake up the environment that Southgate created. But I also don’t blame the FA for thinking it’s time to take a risk.
  • Tuchel is really good at tournament football, has one of the best records of any manager in Champions League football and I can see that translating well to World Cups and Euros.

Bit of a hot head reputation and I worry that it will shake up the environment that Southgate created. But I also don’t blame the FA for thinking it’s time to take a risk.
    What does this mean? 

The game is still the same as a league game except one team gets knocked out.
  • edited October 15
    As someone mentioned above, CL is different to a World Cup as its played out over 8 months, a World Cup lasts 4 weeks. Condensed games, bigger risk, higher demand on man management. 

Plus Tuchel's football is as bad as Southgates.
  • Isn't Tuchel's rep for falling out with owners rather than players? Think I recall Bayern's squad wanting him to stay on