Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• Carsley's number 2 will be Ashley Cole .. mmm .. Hasselbaink gets the push
  • How is Carsley Irish, he was born in Birmingham.
    Through his grandmother. The rule is the same for all international football.
    He may have played for Ireland but that doesn’t make him Irish.
  • How is Carsley Irish, he was born in Birmingham.
    Through his grandmother. The rule is the same for all international football.
    He may have played for Ireland but that doesn’t make him Irish.
    but he CHOSE to be Irish at least in international football terms. Any well educated (in football matters) and experienced coach irrespective of 'nationality' should be capable of getting his ideas across to his players. Professionalism and ambition should supersede any 'nationalistic' feelings .. should do !
  • Thomas Tuchel in advanced talks to become England manager according to German press.
  • Will there be uproar when he doesn't sing the National Anthem?

Jokes aside though, he's a very good manager and most definitely better than any English manager out there who is available. I'm sure there will be a bit of controversy though over a German managing England.

For me personally if there was an elite English manager who could win us something then that would of course be the preference. But there isn't, so i don't mind us looking for a top foreign manager. If we win something i couldn't care less if Trump was our manager.
  • Will there be uproar when he doesn't sing the National Anthem?

Jokes aside though, he's a very good manager and most definitely better than any English manager out there who is available. I'm sure there will be a bit of controversy though over a German managing England.

For me personally if there was an elite English manager who could win us something then that would of course be the preference. But there isn't, so i don't mind us looking for a top foreign manager. If we win something i couldn't care less if Trump was our manager.
    I think it’s worth waiting for Howe to be sacked by Newcastle .  
  • wmcf123 said:
    Will there be uproar when he doesn't sing the National Anthem?

Hasn’t really done a huge amount though has he, one good season with Newcastle outside of that he hasn’t really taken very good players and made them better.
  • edited October 12
    Lee Carsley is interim manager:

If you listen to any of his interviews which he doesn't appear to enjoy doing before or after a match, then he has never been vocal in saying he wants the Job.

In fact it's been the opposite; Carsley saying he hopes to continue with the U21's !  These are hardly the words of a man who has the status or personality to take on the biggest Job going in English Football.
    Lee Carsley is a coach who still enjoys putting out the cones.
    He is a good coach at England U21 level who is popular with the players,(maybe not Watkins!) with several now promoted to the squad under his interim tenure. 

Despite never being a fan of the false number 9, I didn't mind it being tried in a 'competition' one step up from friendlies when you have, Bellingham, Foden and Palmer who are all awesome young talents and this is the paradox. On numerous occasions in the 1st half, in transition all 3 were caught upfield and early doors so was Rice who's game has moved on since he was just a holding midfielder. Throw in two attack minded 'full backs" in TAA and Lewis and both Captain Stones and Levi Colvil (brilliant goal line clearance) were left exposed against a Greek team playing with Passion and Sorrow.

You need more than 20 minutes (post match interview) or 3 training sessions ( pre match interview)depending which you heard from Carsley for that formation to work. 
    2 bona fide full backs holding their positions to help the 2 CB's would have been helpful against the counter attack ! With wide players like Gordon and Saka playing why do that ? Against Gibraltar or San Marino, no problem with 7 or 8 attacking players.

Eddie Howe if we go with an English manager.

• Thomas Tuchel in advanced talks to become England manager according to German press.
    I think he will end up at Manchester United.
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:

Hasn’t really done a huge amount though has he, one good season with Newcastle outside of that he hasn’t really taken very good players and made them better.
    You don’t have to as an international manager .  He needs to do slightly better than Southgate , who had no pedigree whatsoever 
    A manager that has left each club after fighting with the directors/owners. 

Dortmund, then PSG, then Chelsea, then fighting with players at Bayern. 

Don't sure he's got the temperament that England would want in a manager. 
    If he gets it, then they really haven’t got a clue.
    Dear me.
  • wmcf123 said:

Pep aside, anyone else being considered who has "done something", has also invariably been sacked somewhere along the way for doing a shit job.

Think Howe would be a decent choice to grow into the role
    Dear me.
    Definitely seems one of the better options imo (apart from not being English) 

Let’s all be serious, we’re not getting Pep, TT would definitely be an upgrade. 
    Dear me.

Champions League winner so would seem an obvious upgrade on Carsley, but it died worry me he seems to fall out with players a lot, which is more of an issue in international football.

Could be a Capello - good record, bad man management, bad fit.
  • edited October 13
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

You don’t have to as an international manager .  He needs to do slightly better than Southgate , who had no pedigree whatsoever 

Middlesbrough, where he didn't even have the A licence at the time. 
    Only when getting involved with FA set up did Southgate take the highest coaching licence going I assume 🤔
    Dear me.

Agree, but did hear a good argument that Pep ain't so much out the question given some of the facts eg. -

- The obvious problems at City.
    - Not wanting the Spanish job.
    - Already doing everything at club level.
    - His love of England and English football.

Again, not saying it'll happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• That late goal cost me 50 quid last night.

#carsleyout

At most of his jobs he's fallen out with owners over signings and a disagreement on transfer policies. For example at PSG they went and signed a midfielder he didn't want, as he said they needed a centre back.

That's an issue that obviously wouldn't happen as a national team manager.
  • I would prefer Klopp.

At most of his jobs he's fallen out with owners over signings and a disagreement on transfer policies. For example at PSG they went and signed a midfielder he didn't want, as he said they needed a centre back.

He also plays quite shit football, and managed to finish 3rd with a Bayern team containing Kane.

He also plays quite shit football, and managed to finish 3rd with a Bayern team containing Kane.
    Good cup manager though which is more what we need.

Got PSG to a CL final, won it with Chelsea and was about 2 minutes away from getting Bayern to the final last season.

• Regardless of performance I actually disagree with him on this. Winning international trophies is totally different to winning club trophies. The closest thing is winning U21 trophies and he’s done that, Tuchel etc haven’t 
  • fenaddick said:

Regardless of performance I actually disagree with him on this. Winning international trophies is totally different to winning club trophies. The closest thing is winning U21 trophies and he’s done that, Tuchel etc haven’t 
    I think the only Club Trophy that can be compared to International Football is the European ones, the Champions League (in its last format), and the Europa League etc. what with its Group / KO type format almost copying the World Cup / Euros
  • fenaddick said:

Regardless of performance I actually disagree with him on this. Winning international trophies is totally different to winning club trophies. The closest thing is winning U21 trophies and he’s done that, Tuchel etc haven’t 
    I think the only Club Trophy that can be compared to International Football is the European ones, the Champions League (in its last format), and the Europa League etc. what with its Group / KO type format almost copying the World Cup / Euros
    I even disagree with that, although they're certainly closest. You aren't playing it in such a condensed time period with players you don't spend all season with. I guess the new Club World Cup is kind of similar but that's a ludicrous idea anyway
  • edited October 14
    Rightly or wrongly I still think Carsley will  get the job
  • edited October 14
    I think managing an international side is totally different to a club side. It has to be. You spend far less time with the players and can't always see you are short in a poition and try to bring in a player for that position as a club manager can to a greater extent. You have to work with what you have and the England manager has a decent amount to work with. 

The qualities have to be tactical awareness and strong communication as you need to get the key players onboard. In terms of Carsley, he may well turn out to be a very good England manager and I would, if I was the FA, keep in on game by game and let him evolve in the role and if a top, top manager like Klopp comes along you have no blockages. But I don't think that has to be pushed. Just an opportunity to take if it arises. And if not, Carsley could grow into the role with the experience he has gained.

If Carsley has his U21 job open to him if he leaves the England job and indeed I can't see why he can't have an overview of that job now, it should be pretty smooth. Might be better than appointing somebody like Capello!