Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath v Bury 31 January 2012 - Preview, views, team line ups and predictions.

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
Is the dam about to break? And if so which dam?

Despite not shining, or perhaps not being allowed to shine by understandably fearful opposition, this team just keeps on keeping clean sheets and keeps on winning. So will the shackles come off and the Addicks return to knocking 2, 3 or 4 goals past lower placed sides or will our "luck" run out and allow someone to nick one or even three points?

Chris Powell seems not to be phased by a series of one - nil victories and why should he? You get three points just the same. As the team has kept on winning the Gaffer has quietly gone about strengthening his group of players with the additions of Clarke and Haynes.

At the same time Dale Stephens has returned to the squad, fit again after an ankle operation. The former Oldham player set the tone of the side early on. Despite Pritchard's strong displays Stephens is going to take a starting place sooner rather than later and perhaps as soon as Tuesday night.

Powell has enough other options to shake up the team if he sees the need but as Chris is the true heir to Curbs© radical change when you are winning seems unlikely. Other than Stephens return only Bradley Wright-Phillips' place in the side is being questioned but even then only by those who see him as purely a goal scorer.

So Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Taylor, Wiggins, Green, Stephens, Hollands, Jackson, Kermorgant and Wright-Phillips to start with Sullivan, Cort, Pritchard, Clarke and Haynes as options off the bench.

That should be enough for a 3 - 1 win v a Bury side who despite their six away wins haven't kept a clean sheet since November and have never really recovered from losing talisman Ryan Lowe.

As long as we do our job it doesn't really matter what anyone else does now we have our noses so far out in front but the same night MK Dons host Lowe's new side Sheffield Wednesday. A victory for us and a MK win will leave us 13 points above third place.

Massive gap, that.

Comments

• Safest bet has to be a 1-0 win, so I'll go for that. BWP in the 3rd minute.
  • 4-0 Addicks.

Would rather see Wagstaff on the bench than Clarke, think he offers us something different than any of the other subs.
  • Fancy a few goals
  • 3-0 Charlton. BWP x 2, and Wiggins 1 (a thunderbolt from 25 yards)
  • Can see us spanking them. 5-0 to the addicks. Bwp,Jackson,Kermit,Hollands and Clarke to get the goals
  • If we relax a bit, play more free flowing which I think we have earnt with the points gap, can see not only a good victory margin but BWP goal
  • 3-0 Easy peasy with Stephens getting a good warm up.
  • 3-0 to the addicks - Hollands, Jacko, Kerm
  • I agree barstool (quote tab has disappeared again)
  • cautionary note-no clean sheets for them since November, 4 (in the league) for us...

with us needing to force it a bit more at home, can see Stephens coming in.

gonna do what i always do because it seems to be working..0-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• We're due a blip.....or so the entire population of Sheffield would have you believe

I'd like to see a change or two, we're not creating any where near enough chances. I suspect I'll be disappointed in that respect and we'll grind out another narrow win
  • i ll take a 1-0 or a 2-1

and it ll be real brass monkeys tomorrow night !
  • Whenever I see a game where we should turn the team over it's always made harder.

We rise to the occasion against bigger teams.
    We will out-football most football playing sides
    But a perceived easy game against a team safely ensconsed in mid table tells me this one won't be as simple as some seem to think.

Hard fought 2-0 or 2-1
  • 4-0. Yann 2, Jacko, and Hollands
  • 4-0
    Hollands kerm and bwpx2

Another clean sheet
  • A three one win for the haddocks, with BWP scoring two and the third coming from an own goal near the end. The game will be largely overshadowed by an incident near the end of the first half when a fox gets onto the field and starts running around the pitch. The game will be stopped with Bury players furious as they are mounting a promising attack. Hilarity ensues as the terrified creature evades the stewards and players increasingly desperate attempts to capture it. The game is halted for more than five minutes, until a frustrated Yann Kermogant hits it with a crunching tackle that literally takes it's head off. The no-nonsense French striker tosses the body over the touch line and play is resumed. Bury score directly from the drop ball, but the animal-loving Valley barely makes a sound, such is the shock at the incident that they've just witnessed.
  • I see it being 1-1
  • Failing that 6-1 cafc
  • Don't care as long as we win. I expect Bury to stick 10 men behind the ball so ideal time to restore Stephens imho?
  • Charlton 0 - 1 Bury
  • Sponsored links:

• Hmmmm cold wet tuesday night could end disappointingly but it won't, 3-0 BWP to get on the score sheet, Stephens on his return and Jacko once again
  • I think the squad will continue to gel; expected completion date is late Feb.
    Then we really will be unplayable.
    2-0
    Bishop and Lowe have 16 goals between them and will be a threat, but our magnificent defence will remain resolutely impenetrable.
    Won three, lost three of their last six or more encouragingly, this could be put as 'lost three of their last four aways'.
  • 4-1 Hollands, BWP x2, Green.
    2-0
    Bishop and Lowe have 16 goals between them and will be a threat, but our magnificent defence will remain resolutely impenetrable.
    Won three, lost three of their last six or more encouragingly, this could be put as 'lost three of their last four aways'.
    Lowe is now at the BIG CLUB!
    2-0
    Lowe is now at the BIG CLUB!
    Ah, so there goes their main threat - hurrah!

Big club or MASSIVE?

• There spanking at Rochdale means 10 men behind the ball. 0-0.
  • Am gutted. My wonderful niece is mascot tomorrow and I can't be there as we haven't a babysitter. Please give her a cheer for me.

As for the game, I feel the crowd will be crucial for this one. Bury I suspect will be extremely defensive and will have about 70 fans. Can see this becoming a dour affair in a subdued atmosphere.

We need to be on the front foot with the crowd setting a vibrant tone. So make sure you get behind the boys exactly the same as you did against Sheff U.

Every game matters.

I'm fearful of a below par draw.
  • MASSIVE CLUB

Someone is in for a shoeing at the Valley me thinks, either tomorrow or Saturday. Hopefully both
  • edited January 2012
    the binary bores will grind out another result 1-0

plenty of stress but the noise of peoples knees and teeth knocking together will make an atmosphere of sorts at the valley

195 bury wont be able to hear us sing 'your support is farking shit'
  • Away support will be low but the home attendance will be interesting.

How many you can get v Bury on a cold January night = your hardcore/bottom line