Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dale Stephens

First of all, congratulations on a great first season back, I am quite simply ecstatic we are joining you next season as it was `touch and go` for a while!.

It is all over our local press that we are in for Dale Stephens, so, any good?:

http://www.examiner.co.uk/huddersfield-town-fc/huddersfield-town-news/2013/05/22/huddersfield-town-boss-has-transfer-targets-home-and-abroad-as-charlton-athletic-midfielder-linked-86081-33364127/

Comments

• Gifted passer of the ball, that lacks oomph and at times drifts out of games. Very good player in there somewhere but has not shown it very often for us.
  • He cost us £350k?

• cfgs said:

Gifted passer of the ball, that lacks oomph and at times drifts out of games. Very good player in there somewhere but has not shown it very often for us.

That worries me, we have an extremely gifted Midfielder in Oliver Norwood (who turned down an extended deal at Old Trafford at the end of last season to join us for first team football), however, his attitude is truly shocking. He was excellent at the start of the season (when we were doing well) and disappeared as soon as the `trouble` set in. He should have never played again for us after going straight down the tunnel in petulant fashion when subbed at Leeds (where he had one of his many stinkers).

We need consistent performers week in, week out, not Players who perform `when they fancy it!`
  • First of all, congratulations on a great first season back, I am quite simply ecstatic we are joining you next season as it was `touch and go` for a while!.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/huddersfield-town-fc/huddersfield-town-news/2013/05/22/huddersfield-town-boss-has-transfer-targets-home-and-abroad-as-charlton-athletic-midfielder-linked-86081-33364127/

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Stephens ain't what he's cracked up to be. He's neither tough enough to be a ball-winner, or skilful enough to be a play-maker. I've seen every home game he's played, and he gets knocked off the ball too easily and is prone to misplacing passes. He did score a spectacular goal this season against Cardiff - a free-kick from about 45 yards right by the touchline - but really that goes down as a goalkeeping error. Sorry, mate, but don't expect too much of him....

• cfgs said:

Gifted passer of the ball, that lacks oomph and at times drifts out of games. Very good player in there somewhere but has not shown it very often for us.

Agree with this. He does divide opinion though.
  • too often we played him in a sitting midfielder role when he is better suited going forward. good passer of the ball who, strange as it may sound, would do better in the PL when he'd have more time and space. saying that alongside the right person he could do well for you, if he signs. has been rumoured to be unsettled down south and wanting to return 'oop north. also don't think he's been too happy since his move to Villa collapsed at the 11th hour on deadline day, and who can blame him. PL football in his grasp, hefty pay rise then scuppered because Spanish Tony played hardball and lost spectacularly.
  • cfgs said:

That worries me, we have an extremely gifted Midfielder in Oliver Norwood (who turned down an extended deal at Old Trafford at the end of last season to join us for first team football), however, his attitude is truly shocking. He was excellent at the start of the season (when we were doing well) and disappeared as soon as the `trouble` set in. He should have never played again for us after going straight down the tunnel in petulant fashion when subbed at Leeds (where he had one of his many stinkers).

We need consistent performers week in, week out, not Players who perform `when they fancy it!`
    Well, that sort of indiscipline shouldn't be tolerated at any club. It's the responsibility of your manager and his assistants to get to grips with it.

• First of all, congratulations on a great first season back, I am quite simply ecstatic we are joining you next season as it was `touch and go` for a while!.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Stephens ain't what he's cracked up to be. He's neither tough enough to be a ball-winner, or skilful enough to be a play-maker. I've seen every home game he's played, and he gets knocked off the ball too easily and is prone to misplacing passes. He did score a spectacular goal this season against Cardiff - a free-kick from about 45 yards right by the touchline - but really that goes down as a goalkeeping error. Sorry, mate, but don't expect too much of him....

Thanks for the honesty, perhaps Villa will get to him first to save us yet another disappointing signing!!!? (we have had plenty of them over recent seasons especially under `44 signings in less than three seasons including loan players` Lee Clark.

• too often we played him in a sitting midfielder role when he is better suited going forward. good passer of the ball who, strange as it may sound, would do better in the PL when he'd have more time and space. saying that alongside the right person he could do well for you, if he signs. has been rumoured to be unsettled down south and wanting to return 'oop north. also don't think he's been too happy since his move to Villa collapsed at the 11th hour on deadline day, and who can blame him. PL football in his grasp, hefty pay rise then scuppered because Spanish Tony played hardball and lost spectacularly.

We have a ploughed field for a `pitch` (that`s what you get for sharing your stadium with mud pigs) so we need to sort the pitch out before we sign any gifted ball players!. I have heard that he is keen for a move back up North (being a Bolton Lad) and that he has not settled in the bright lights of London.
  • Think he's got the potential to be a blinding player, Villa didn't want him for nothing. Would be a shame to lose him.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's inconsistent. he's yet to find his own style of play He struggles to impose himself on a game but can pass a ball regardless of what people on here will tell you. if he's given someone to do all the dirty work alongisde him and to let him push forward I personally think he'll flourish.
  • cfgs said:

Well, that sort of indiscipline shouldn't be tolerated at any club. It's the responsibility of your manager and his assistants to get to grips with it.

Completely agree, the little t**t should have been shipped out and never been allowed to don the blue and white stripes again.It galls me that he will be one of our top earners too.

• He's inconsistent. he's yet to find his own style of play He struggles to impose himself on a game but can pass a ball regardless of what people on here will tell you. if he's given someone to do all the dirty work alongisde him and to let him push forward I personally think he'll flourish.

Now this is encouraging, we have some quality `ball winners` in Adam Clayton (awesome and how / why Leeds let him go I will never know), Oscar Gobern (out of contract but just signed for two years) and Keith Southern.. We are crying out for somebody these Guys can give the ball to who can create chances / openings for the currently non-existent strike force we do not have! (as in, Lee, Novak, Beckford and Vaughan all gone!!!).
  • edited May 2013
    He drifts in and out of form. He was putting in blinders back in January where it was all action tackling and an excellent range of passing. He's a great taker of floated free kicks and corners too. Sadly we don't see that consistently enough to be able to rely on him at Championship level.

It should be said that I don't think Stephens has had disciplinary problems, he just has on and off days on the pitch. After Villa came in for him last August, he dealt with the disappointment of not making the big move, worked hard and won his place back in the team. He soon lost it again when he had a dip in form though.

One of those players where it could go either way for him. If you can get the best out of him consistently, you'll have a great player on your hands. If you don't, you'll need someone more reliable alongside him to survive.
  • edited May 2013
    Whispers that he wants to move back to the north as well. That may help with the consistency issue.

LargeAddick makes a good point: counterintuitive as it may seem, Stephens might be more effective in the Prem, where he may be afforded more time and space. But dealing with the here and now - and Huddersfield Town! - his lack of authority means he gets hustled out of the action too often in the hurly-burly of the Championship. I suspect you need someone a bit tougher for the long season ahead at the Galpharm....

• He drifts in and out of form. He was putting in blinders back in January where it was all action tackling and an excellent range of passing. He's a great taker of floated free kicks and corners too. Sadly we don't see that consistently enough to be able to rely on him at Championship level.

It should be said that I don't think Stephens has had disciplinary problems, he just has on and off days on the pitch. After Villa came in for him last August, he dealt with the disappointment of not making the big move, worked hard and won his place back in the team. He soon lost it again when he had a dip in form though.

One of those players where it could go either way for him. If you can get the best out of him consistently, you'll have a great player on your hands. If you don't, you'll need someone more reliable alongside him to survive.

Thanks (again) to all the fans that have posted. All I am hearing is Oliver Norwood and that is not what we need. Quality is all well and good, however, the Player needs to show it on a regular basis.
  • I think Dale needs to play with better players to get the best out of him, I dont think he will get that at Udders.

LargeAddick makes a good point: counterintuitive as it may seem, Stephens might be more effective in the Prem, where he may be afforded more time and space. But dealing with the here and now - and Huddersfield Town! - his lack of authority means he gets hustled out of the action too often in the hurly-burly of the Championship. I suspect you need someone a bit tougher for the long season ahead at the Galpharm....

Many people said the same thing when we got promoted from L1 to the Championship, that the extra time and space and better standard of football would bring out the best in him...

Personally, Dale Stephens to me has been a bit ineffective. In the 2 years we've had him the number of goals, assists and superb passes hasn't been enough to justify his place in the side. By contrast, Bradley Pritchard may have come from non league, but was in the Top 10 for assists in the Championship.
  • All this crap about him being more suited to the premiership really gets my goat. Same people (Dale's apologists) assured me he would be better in the championship as he would have more time to play his misdirected passes. Didn't happen.

Like Powell, I want rid asap. A waste of talent and as stats previously posted show, our results are far better when he's not playing. It was the same with Racon, similar type of player who divide opinions. Racon has not been missed.

If I have learnt anything through watching football and Charlton for 44 years it is that there are two parts of football, one when you have the ball and the other when you don't. When we don't have it, I am afraid Dale is a liability.
  • Sponsored links:

• He didn't turn up for a scheduled Q+A with fans citing injury when he was, in fact, playing golf the same day. Been dropped ever since ; - )

Got laods of talent we don't see often enough. Would possibly look better with a holding DM behind him but Johnnie Jackson is taking Dale's prefered role and doing it very well.

Not buying this "he'll have more time and room in the Prem". No he wouldn't. Sure people were saying this last summer about the championship compared to league one and it is a myth. Neither Stephens or Green looked better and why would they against better, faster, fitter players?
  • edited May 2013
    I'm certain people said league 1 was more physical and he would prosper in the championship. What happens if he does the same in the Premier league? Will he be better in the champions league? The higher you go the better the players you are up against.

When you give the ball away you are more likely to be punished.

If you fail in your defensive duties then your team will be more likely to be punished.

If you drift out of games then BETTER players will exploit it.

They are faster in the Premier league.

They are more skillful.

They better at anticipation.

They are better defenders.

Dale would be like a lost dog in that league.
  • We're doing a very good job in promoting him to other clubs are we? Personally, I've always though he was the next Iniesta and worth at least £10m :-)

Many people said the same thing when we got promoted from L1 to the Championship, that the extra time and space and better standard of football would bring out the best in him...

Personally, Dale Stephens to me has been a bit ineffective. In the 2 years we've had him the number of goals, assists and superb passes hasn't been enough to justify his place in the side. By contrast, Bradley Pritchard may have come from non league, but was in the Top 10 for assists in the Championship.
    Quite so, killerandflash, quite so - "ineffective" is the word. Pritchard is making great strides forward partly because he's willing to get stuck in. Stephens drifts in and out, doesn't seem to have the persistent toughness to stamp any authority on the game. I wonder if different coaching could improve that aspect of his play?

• We're doing a very good job in promoting him to other clubs are we? Personally, I've always though he was the next Iniesta and worth at least £10m :-)

We should probably also try and stop people being interested in our other players... Dale would have put Messi to shame if it wasn't for Chris Solly ruining every attack he tried to create! ;)

• All this crap about him being more suited to the premiership really gets my goat. Same people (Dale's apologists) assured me he would be better in the championship as he would have more time to play his misdirected passes. Didn't happen.

Like Powell, I want rid asap. A waste of talent and as stats previously posted show, our results are far better when he's not playing. It was the same with Racon, similar type of player who divide opinions. Racon has not been missed.

If I have learnt anything through watching football and Charlton for 44 years it is that there are two parts of football, one when you have the ball and the other when you don't. When we don't have it, I am afraid Dale is a liability.

"He'd have more time to play his misdirected passes" - Well said! He had some truly awful games at home this season; Powell could see that too, and dropped him. "When we don't have it [the ball], I'm afraid Dale is a liability." Often enough, when we don't have the ball, it's because Dale has just delivered a pass to the opposition.

• When he first joined us he looked really good, the creative midfielder we lacked, he then had personal relationship problems (allegedly), compounded by injury. I think like a lot of footballers he has a fragile confidence which has never really recovered from those initial knocks and then added to by the Villa fiasco and finally being played in the wrong position. I think his days at Charlton are numbered, but hope any deal includes a sell on clause as I think the move after this one, if he is managed right could be for reasonably big money.
  • We look a better team without him and although he may push on at some point in his career I don't think it's going to happen with us.
  • He drifted in and out both L1 & CCC because defenders were firing the ball over his head and when he came back to get it had very little movement ahead of him. Now we are bringing the ball out via Dervite & Morro, he's likely to have more effect on play. Most of his games he either had JJ or Kerkar wide left, makeshift left back and BWP and/or Hulse upfront. He was dropped after the Forest debacle which could be said to be largely attributable to Yann's red.
  • I think if a decent offer comes in he'll be off.

He doesn't seem like a CP type of player to me, a shame because he has the talent, but needs the rest of the midfield to be built around him and especially he needs a strong defensive/ball winning midfielder alongside him. But he's not consistent enough in my opinion - if the odd pass went astray it wouldn't be a problem, but he has too many games when he fails to stamp himself on the match. A change of scene with the right club and players around him and he'll fly.