Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pitch quality

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but just looking at the state of The Valley pitch today against Sheffield Wednesday, why do we seem to be the only London club that cannot cope with the British weather. I don't seem to remember us ever having this trouble during the Premiership days. What has changed?

Comments

• Just trying to emulate the Belgian countryside during the war to keep Roland happy, that's all
  • I've not played on anything that bad on a Sunday morning this season, it's embarrassing
  • I'm sure this has been discussed before, but just looking at the state of The Valley pitch today against Sheffield Wednesday, why do we seem to be the only London club that cannot cope with the British weather. I don't seem to remember us ever having this trouble during the Premiership days. What has changed?

We're no longer in the Premiership = By all account Paddy's budget has been cut = the answer to why our pitch is so crap.
  • The pitch shouldn't be crap as we don't play football on it. ;0)
  • That pitch is a throwback to 1965. An absolute embarrassment to the club. Not a pop at Paddy either.
  • edited December 2013
    The pitch is pathetic. AGAIN.
  • Don't worry it will be plastic soon. :)
  • Apparently the new owner wants to create some vegetables patch round the pitch to grow his carrots
  • The pitch is awful and it undoubtedly effects the quality of football at the Valley even more... People calling out for us to get it on the deck and pass the ball around need to realise thats exactly how you lose it in a mudbath.
  • Huskaris said:

The pitch is awful and it undoubtedly effects the quality of football at the Valley even more... People calling out for us to get it on the deck and pass the ball around need to realise thats exactly how you lose it in a mudbath.

Wendy tried to play a bit of football ! Passed it about better than we did.

• Sponsored links:

• Ploughed field, a complete embarrassment.
  • It looked like a ploughed field, something needs to be done about it.
  • edited December 2013

It looked like a ploughed field, something needs to be done about it.

Plant some potatoes at least we'll get some sort of return from it.
  • Shocking state
  • Doesn't stop other teams beating us on it most weeks.
  • edited December 2013
    RedChaser said:

It looked like a ploughed field, something needs to be done about it.

Plant some potatoes at least we'll get some sort of return from it.
    I was going to say the same , sort that pitch out Roland , then we can become the real mccoy.

• Our team is poor, that's why we lose !

Doesn't stop other teams beating us on it most weeks.

• Near the East Stand, there seemed to be straight lines in it, as if something had been dragged across it.

Our pitch was never this bad in L1, something has gone seriously wrong with it
  • Modern day 3G pitches are the way forward.
  • edited December 2013
    Oh no, the pitch isn't perfect,there's mud and everything, what are we going to do?

You're going to do nothing

The players will simply get on with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• It wasn't that bad on Thursday, so no idea what has happened in 3 days....
  • The pitch is up for hire at end of season who would hire it, wot a pile of shit better off playing charlton park.
  • Ross said:

It wasn't that bad on Thursday, so no idea what has happened in 3 days....

Paddy's been planting his sprouts for next Christmas?

• Paddy's field
  • I saw a comment on Facebook that explains the lines
    The pitch was awful, nearly an inch of mud around the centre circle, but firmed-up as the match went on. Paddy said it was only just passed fit, thanks to some emergency vertical draining that left those marks on the surface. Six days to get it ready for the cup match, with more rain forecast.....
  • Two years of under investment coming home to roost
  • Will be a major expense now. Doubt there is worse in all four divisions and a good many park pitches.
  • Kap10 said:

Two years of under investment coming home to roost

In many ways today
  • How much does it cost for pitch upkeep though? In the grand scheme of things.
  • That pitch is a disgrace. It shows the chronic under investment at the club. If this takeover happens, I hope that this is one of the top 3 things that are addressed urgently.

A better pitch will encourage better passing football.