Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kermorgant to Celtic ?

With Neil Lennon there last night and leaving when Yann was subbed, looks like he may have renewed his interest with him.

With Yann's contract up at the end of the season, there has been talk that an automatic extension is triggered if he plays a certain amount of games, and that he has been in contract talks with Prothero, who apparently is still here.

Hoe do you see this one panning out, and what would you say is a fair price for Yann ?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    He's 33 in November, I reckon he'll be staying. Celtic will want someone younger who they can sell on for a profit if needed.
  • Wouldn't read into this too much as there must be scouts at most matches.

Add to the fact that the Scottish Premier League is on par really with the Championship the only match available for Neil Lennon to go and watch was ours (i.e. can you see a Man City or West Ham player wanting to go there?)

Of course if Lennon has left after Kermorgant got subbed then it sounds like thats who he was scouting yet how do we know if he was impressed enough to put a bid in for him and Charlton have to accept that bid before Yann is allowed to talk to Celtic anyway... Of course that bid might be accepted but Yann himself might not want to move

i.e. I know CP's future isnt certain yet Yann has said that he loves working with him... we could be a few games away from the Extension kicking in anyway and plus if Celtic put a bid in this January its not like they've European Football this season to tempt him up there (Of course they'll be in the Champions League next season but how much of a role would Yann get up there...)
  • edited January 2014
    It's difficult to imagine he was there to watch anyone else. But scouts/other managers typically leave the ground with 15/20 mins to go to avoid the traffic jams on their journey home.
  • cfgs said:

Currently we would be lucky to get £200,000 for him, but he is priceless to us.

This, Kerms is a league 1/Lower Championship player at best so a move to Scottish football would probably suit him to finish off his career. However if he goes who will replace him?
  • We're not selling, so there is no fair price. Celtic need to be told to back off and we need to sign Yann up asap.
  • don't understand why Celtic would bid now when they are well clear in their division so can't be in hurry for him as he becomes a free agent in a few months.
    From Yann's point of view I would guess that length of contract is more important than wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Celtic as a "Championship" club held Norwich and Southampton to ransom (not to mention they threw their dummy out the pram a few times) when they sold Hooper and Wanyama respectively

Maybe we should stick up for our fellow English clubs and do the same to Celtic...
  • edited January 2014
    Huskaris said:

Yann leaving would be a good way for Duchatalet to ensure he is unpopular for a while to come.

Not to mention increasing the chances of seeing his £20m floating down the Thames, unless of course he is thinking of doing some more of his fortune on Ronaldo who purportedly wants to finish his career in English football :-0
  • As cfgs said - We'd be lucky to get much for him considering his age and the fact that his contract is up shortly. But in my opinion in our present predicament he is irreplaceable. If he goes before the window closes I dread to think what would happen. Would be interested to know if an automatic extension is triggered as Afka has suggested.
  • Can't see it myself. Yann fried mars bars and iron bru = oxymoron.
  • He can sign a pre contract with them though for the summer
  • Dizzle said:

He can sign a pre contract with them though for the summer

I was gonna say you can only do this with Foreign clubs... Silly question but are Celtic included in this group, reason I ask is there are apparently a few gentleman's agreements around the British FAs
  • No disrespect to Yann, who I think has been amazing for us, but if Celtic are looking at players in the Championship relegation mix to strengthen their squad then it really doesn't say much for them or for Scottish football in general.

• With Lennon's connection to Leicester, it would be likely (if he is interested in signing Yann) he has sought opinion from them regarding Yann, and this would be mixed at best. Can't see why they would sign him before summer (why pay & they have recently signed a forward, I think) and doesn't appear to fit the type of player they are targeting (too old). Not convinced it was Yann that Lennon was watching.

From Charlton's point of view any sale would only generate small funds and Yann would be hard to replace, particularly at short notice and in the Jan transfer window.

• Dizzle said:

I was gonna say you can only do this with Foreign clubs... Silly question but are Celtic included in this group, reason I ask is there are apparently a few gentleman's agreements around the British FAs
    I believe that they are. If I remember correctly Darren Randolph did it when he was here and went to Motherwell. So Yann could potentially speak to, and sign a pre contract with Celtic if he so wished.

Fingers crossed that he doesn't though

• Dizzle said:

Dizzle said:

I believe that they are. If I remember correctly Darren Randolph did it when he was here and went to Motherwell. So Yann could potentially speak to, and sign a pre contract with Celtic if he so wished.

Fingers crossed that he doesn't though

Did Randolph agree a Pre-Contract with Motherwell? - I didnt think he did as thought it was only the summer after lost in the Play-Offs that he decided to leave as couldn't be guaranteed a first team spot against Elliot
  • Sponsored links:

• The way the contract situation has been handled I wouldn't blame any player or coach if they left.
  • edited January 2014
    If he signs a pre contract agreement I would still be gutted but at least we would have time to rebuild in the summer, what we desperately need to avoid is him leaving now without a suitable replacement :-(
  • He is long term injury prone and getting on.
  • Couldn't blame him for going. Huge crowds, Champions League football. It's the only chance he's going to get. I hope Yann stays but as, as another poster said, he is priceless for us.

Maybe that's why we're looking at Miller. As a replacement to hook up with S Jackson? Not that Miller could fill his shoes, but perhaps that's the thinking.
  • An interesting one, would not want to see him go this side of the summer, but the critical thing in this is who would replace him. He is worth more to us than his monetary value, like jacko he gives the team its spirit, so any replacement would need to be able to fulfill that role. Unless there was a proper marquee signing to replace him (not a poor mans camping tent) then his loss now would be disastrous.
  • edited January 2014
    Kermi is priceless , but 2 million and i might be interested, he is a talisman and worth every penny.
  • Kermi is priceless , but 2 million and i might be interested, he is a talisman and worth every penny.

dream on.............................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • It would be devastating if Yann left now. But less so if he stayed until the Summer, having seen us to safety. Likewise, what is the point of Celtic buying a player now, when they could secure the same player for the start of next season for nothing?

If Yann stayed, having kept Charlton up, to see his career out at a huge club, playing the Champions League, who could blame him? And, as long as he's replaced by someone of better quality - either now or in the Summer - surely Charlton would be happy?

The question is less about would Charlton want to lose him than who will he be replaced by when he goes?