Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Boxing Day 2003. Charlton 4 Chelsea 2

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
Not just a fantastic victory but, in my opinion, a turning point in the recent history of the club. Sitting 4th in the Premiership, the Chelsea owner was allegedly so impressed with Scott Parkers show that he insisted on him joining the West London Club. Charlton finished 7th.

Charlton 4-2 Chelsea Boxing Day 2003

Charlton delivered a massive blow to Chelsea's Premiership hopes with a stunning victory at The Valley.
Claudio Ranieri's expensively-assembled side were on the slide after Hermann Hreidarsson's header inside 45 seconds.

John Terry equalised, but goals either side of half-time by Matt Holland and Jonatan Johansson proved decisive.

Jason Euell added Charlton's fourth, and Eidur Gudjohnsen's strike proved no consolation for miserable Chelsea.

Ranieri will have been furious at the way his much-vaunted defence collapsed in spectacular style in the face of an outstanding Charlton display.

Charlton got the perfect start after only 42 seconds as Chelsea set the tone for a show of alarming defensive vulnerability.

Paolo di Canio's corner found Hreidarsson unmarked to flick a header beyond Carlo Cudicini.

KEY MOMENTS
42 secs: Hermann Hreidarsson heads Charlton in front
9 mins: John Terry puts Chelsea level
34 mins: Matt Holland heads Charlton back in front
47 mins: Jonatan Johansson extends Charlton's lead
53 mins: Jason Euell puts Charlton further ahead
72 mins: Eidur Gudjohnsen pulls a goal back for Chelsea

Chelsea's response came after nine minutes, when a delightful free-kick from Adrian Mutu was glanced past Dean Kiely by Terry.

Joe Cole wasted a great chance to put Chelsea ahead when he shot wildly over the top from 12 yards - but after that it was a very swift journey downhill for Ranieri's side.

Di Canio was involved again as Charlton restored their advantage in the 34th minute.

The Italian's dummy set up Johansson, and his cross was met powerfully by Holland, who rose above Marcel Desailly to head home.

Chelsea were stung again at the start of the second half, when more trickery from Di Canio deceived Terry, and he provided the perfect cross for Johansson to score easily from inside the six-yard box.

Ranieri's defence was in pieces, and it was no surprise when Euell added a fourth after 53 minutes.

Chelsea have taken over from West Ham in the 'playing pretty football until the going gets tough at Xmas' stakes

Wayne Bridge's wild clearance allowed Euell to escape Terry's attention to slide a composed finish past Cudicini.

Chelsea were in disarray, but substitute Eidur Gudjohnson gave them slim hope when he pulled a goal back with 18 minutes.

It led to a belated revival from Chelsea in the closing stages, but the damage was already done, and Charlton's supporters revelled in the victory, with the veteran Di Canio being substituted late on to a standing ovation.

Charlton: Kiely, Kishishev, Perry, Fortune, Hreidarsson, Holland, Parker, Euell, Stuart (Konchesky 77), Di Canio (Powell 87), Johansson. Subs not used: Royce, Fish, Campbell-Ryce.
Booked: Parker.

Chelsea: Cudicini, Johnson, Terry, Desailly, Bridge, Gronkjaer (Gudjohnsen 45), Lampard (Geremi 65), Makelele, Cole (Gallas 82), Hasselbaink, Mutu. Subs not used: Sullivan, Melchiot.
Booked: Gronkjaer.

Attendance: 26,768.

Referee: G Poll (Hertfordshire).

Comments

• that was one of my all time highs of following charlton , games like that don't come along too often and i'd take one of them victories over anything we'll ever achieve in the championship.....
  • Oh man, what a superb superb superb game and day.

Have to agree H&A in the fact that it was a turning point, both in the clubs fortunes and parker's head.

If only...
  • missed it, remember sat watching in near tears of frustration of missing it and being somewhere i really didnt want to be.

and getting a rollicking from my dad as i kept accidently flashing him me bum when i kept jumping up and down in celebration.
  • Brilliant game- not my style, but was really pleased to ram this victory down the throats of my Chelsea supporting friends, mainly because we just simply out played them- even they couldn't call it a flooky victory!

I met Graham Poll at a Q&A for the Chiltern's Branch of the CASC two or three years ago and he said that he was suprised that we didn't beat them by more.

Happy Days!
  • i did this game for sky sports fanzone and was absolutely gutted at missing it but £150 is £150 at any time but even Better at xmas.

And the chelsea fans was an absolute wanker who i nearly came to blows with after the game.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]i did this game for sky sports fanzone and was absolutely gutted at missing it but £150 is £150 at any time but even Better at xmas.

And the chelsea fans was an absolute wanker who i nearly came to blows with after the game.
    Is the fanzone not at the ground then? Must have been quality though, didnt realise they pay you for it!
  • Brilliant game ......... Bad ending.

Car got towed away and took 2 hours to find and retrieve it. Police didn't know where the car pound was, even though they towed it. Doh! Cost me about £180 and wasn't even parked illegally or wrongly IMO.
  • Missed it. Was my first Christmas here. Actually was at a friends house for that Christmas and followed it sat on her sofa catching text updates on my mobile. Nothing has really changed....
  • Was dreading meeting the new in-laws [Chelsea fans]that afternoon.Could not get there quick enough after the game ! Did not say a word ! Reckon the smug look said it all !
  • BDLBDL
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]Not just a fantastic victory but, in my opinion, a turning point in the recent history of the club. Sitting 4th in the Premiership, the Chelsea owner was allegedly so impressed with Scott Parkers show that he insisted on him joining the West London Club. Charlton finished 7th.

Totally agree - Pity Scotty had such a good game, he may well have stayed and who knows where we would have ended up!
  • Sponsored links:

• One of THE great games of recent times. Not only was it a fantastic game in pure football terms from a neutral point of view. but the fact that they - players and fans - came swaggering into town with their billions and got royally f*cked by "little old Charlton" made it all the sweeter!

The fact that I'd backed Herman to score, had money on us to win and also for more more than four goals to be scored was just the custard on the jam roly poly!
  • Missed the game, had family round for lunch so didn't even watch it on the box live. Taped and watched it early afternoon and spent the whole time in bliss surrounded by non football fans bemused by my jumping around the front room at a game that finished three hours earlier.
  • Simply the best standard i think a Charlton team has ever played, and will have to go some to be repeated.

Returned home to find parents, nans and grandard all wearing various Charlton replica shirts that had been raided from my brothers wardrobe :-)
  • Same jubilation as the away win at Highbury but in very different circumstances. Arsenal was great for the smash and grab aspect but this was just a pure quality performance.
    I'm surprised that Jensen wasn't in the starting 11.

In footballing terms, the best I've ever seen from Charlton.
  • I remember having a pint in the White Swan pre match and finding out that Jensen wasn't in the starting line up (think he was injured). I thought that was a massive blow for us, but then Jason Euell went and had the game of his life. Its all been downhill since this game really, it makes me want to cry!!

Always used to love beating Chelsea. I'll never forget the looks on their faces when Lisbie scored in the 90th min at the Bridge...glorious!
  • I missed the game. I was spending boxing day at my Palarse loving brother in laws. He had the radio on listening for their game and they kept going back to the Valley for updates. Wish I could have been there.

I must confess, I thought that it was Parkers performance at the Stamford Bridge game that season which so alerted Chelsea, because he totally bossed that game in midfield.

Looking at our team, it does make you wonder if we will ever get back to that sort of quality again.
  • That is a fair point Bing and it was obviously the ultimate team performance but really individually was that team that special - Kiely, Di Canio and Parker aside.
  • edited December 2007
    Like YTS said, it was all downhill from there, really. Our high-point of the Premier League spell. Remember getting loads of texts from non-CAFC mates watching on Sky urging us on...
  • Seems a very long time ago now
  • Highest standard we have reached in decades. We played a very very good team off the park. The World was watching that day had calls from Thailand and all over saying they didnt believe we could play that well. I suspect neither did we!

Sad to say i dont believe we will ever get back to that standard again. If If If IF Parker had stayed till the end of that season he would have gone to World Cup and we would have gone to Europe im sure of that.

Europe many only be a few mins by train these days but its a life time away for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Highest standard we have reached in decades.
    Sad to say i dont believe we will ever get back to that standard again.

Europe many only be a few mins by train these days but its a life time away for us.

totally agree and at the time i'm glad i realised i was living the dream and not taking these miracle games/players/manager for granted they were the glory years of following Charlton in my lifetime and now i can't see us reaching them heady heights for a very long time
  • had my Chelsea supporting Uncle staying with me for Christmas, bought him a ticket as a surprise present.....hahahaha

absolutely quality performance and I don't think I've seen one to better it...
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Highest standard we have reached in decades.
    Sad to say i dont believe we will ever get back to that standard again.

totally agree and at the time i'm glad i realised i was living the dream and not taking these miracle games/players/manager for granted they were the glory years of following Charlton in my lifetime and now i can't see us reaching them heady heights for a very long time

After years of second and third division dross they were the good times.

Whether I'll see Charlton at the top level of English football again in my lifetime is problematic but I hope to and at The Valley.
  • What a brilliant day that was - one of the best Boxing Days ever!

But of course the downside the following month ... Chelski couldn't accept that we were on the verge of a European qualification that season and money talked once again with Scotty making a bad move (from his point of view and ours) to Stamford Beach.
  • I happened to be home that Xmas and got to see the game. That has to rank as one of the best Charlton victories I've ever seen. We completely dominated them and Di Canio was brilliant. If he had stayed another year we could have pushed on but the draw of fascism in Rome was too much for him. Instead we are drawing 1-1 with Hull City at home. Hmmmm and people love the chumpionship !!!!
  • I'm convinced that if Parker had stayed, we would have had an UEFA cup place at worse....Scotty will always be a Judas in my book.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]i did this game for sky sports fanzone and was absolutely gutted at missing it but £150 is £150 at any time but even Better at xmas.

Is the fanzone not at the ground then? Must have been quality though, didnt realise they pay you for it!

no mate done at sky studios in isleworth. and yes thy pay you
  • I remember this little chelsea fan before the game 4 ft feck all in a leather flying jacket giving it chelsea chelsea chelsea chelsea,

we see him after and he was as embarrased as anything trying to sneak onto the train home.

i will never ever forget how many of them told us they couldnt believe that we had done that to them.

the dirty bstd Parker changed the game and then turned us over
  • and to think i nearly didn't make it out of bed for this one as i forgot about the early KO!

a truly unbelievable day to be a CAFC fan, received so many texts from incredulous liverpool/west ham/gooners/spuds supporters who were genuinely pleased for us and enthralled by watching the game on the box.

that little lad di canio was a bit special - less of the parker mentioning i'm afraid... never going to forgive that little barsteward