Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good god F1's become dull.

For years I've been a huge fan of F1, I've loved when new cars are launched, when drivers change teams and the various intrigues and politice in motor racing. I've defended the sport from others who've said its boring and a waste of money, but tonight at half five I had a epifany and went back to bed after suddenly realising that its become totally useless and something needs to be done.

Those poor Aussies ( not a phrase Ive said before) must have been bored to tears having to stump up huge amounts to watch so few cars crawling around. I don't know what can be done but I would start with scrapping the hibred engine and go back to sticking a cheap V8 back in.

Comments

• The problem is that one team have done a much better job than the rest. You can't blame them, the others need to pull their thumbs out their arses and do better. Regardless of rules, if Ferrari and Red Bull were up their on pace with Merc and McLaren had more pace than a milk float people would be loving it.
  • edited March 2015
    Indeed. Absolute bore fest nowadays. You know who is going to win and come 2nd at the moment, and that had been the Case for the past few years.

Might as well give Hamilton the title now.

Far to predictable and dull.
  • that had been the Casio and the past few years.

I don't know. I had one of those calculator watches at school and they were pretty cool.
    Alright Damo, predictive text and all that!

But yes those calculator watches were cool.
  • Halix said:

And this is news ?!

No just one persons opinion. If it was news my name would be Moira Stewart.
    Thanks Moira.
  • Halix said:

And this is news ?!

..and you would have a 'bong'

• ..and you would have a 'bong'

I'm sorry officer I have never used a bong in my life!
  • Sponsored links:

• It's not even just the difference between the Mercedes and the rest, Williams and Ferrari were a minute ahead of everyone else there is going to be no racing at all it seems other than Sauber/Torro Rosso.
  • that had been the Casio and the past few years.

I don't know. I had one of those calculator watches at school and they were pretty cool.
    Was it the one that you could catch the sun on and make a little light on the ceiling, and then make it dance above the teacher's head?

I had a solar calculator that could do that. Fantastic!
  • On the racing. Hasn't it almost always been like this? Schumacher won seven titles, that makes the Premier League look super competitive.

Vettel won four championships back to back, the last three of which were effectively uncontested.

The year before Vettel won, Button won it in Brawn in, possibly, the most one sided competition for half a season. Button and Burgher could probably have finished one, two of they'd been forced to complete the whole ease in reverse. By the end of that season Burron was struggling to finish top six but his uncompetitive advantage for the first half of the season meant that the Championship was in the bag.

Previously to that McLaren had a car that was so dominant that Hamilton finished ahead of his team mate who was second by a margin.

When it comes to technology (the cars) there is always the potential for one team to be better than the rest, and that is the case now. I would argue that last season was the most exciting for years with two drivers (with the same car) swapping the lead several times and both being able to win it in the last race of the season.

If Mercedes are even better than the rest then you havevto hope that Rosberg can make a fight of it.

Of course, I'm biased as I'm a Hamilton fan so I couldn't be happier, even though I got up at 5:30 this morning to see about five minutes of his driving as it was a procession from start to finish.
  • Lost interest in F1 when Ronnie Petterson retired. Football is in danger of going the same way if it carries on being a procession of the wealthiest. Still, like F1 it will carry on being a money spinner if the "glamour" still appeals to enough punters with the money to buy tickets.
  • Not so boring when you had a decent bet on S.Vettel to finish 3rd at 7/4
  • become, v. bɪˈkʌm/ I. To come, come about.

Nah.
  • Quite enjoyed it today. Yes the result was predictable but there were some good tussles, Button/Perez for example and other areas like the three terrible pit stops and Vestappen retiring late on that made it a decent way to spend lunchtime in the pub.
  • The only challenge in F1 is who can develop the best car. As soon as the season starts and that is decided, it becomes dull and predictable.

What the sport needs is one car for all, then it's really all down to the driver and the pit crew..........................
  • On the racing. Hasn't it almost always been like this? Schumacher won seven titles, that makes the Premier League look super competitive.

Vettel won four championships back to back, the last three of which were effectively uncontested.

The year before Vettel won, Button won it in Brawn in, possibly, the most one sided competition for half a season. Button and Burgher could probably have finished one, two of they'd been forced to complete the whole ease in reverse. By the end of that season Burron was struggling to finish top six but his uncompetitive advantage for the first half of the season meant that the Championship was in the bag.

Previously to that McLaren had a car that was so dominant that Hamilton finished ahead of his team mate who was second by a margin.

When it comes to technology (the cars) there is always the potential for one team to be better than the rest, and that is the case now. I would argue that last season was the most exciting for years with two drivers (with the same car) swapping the lead several times and both being able to win it in the last race of the season.

If Mercedes are even better than the rest then you havevto hope that Rosberg can make a fight of it.

Of course, I'm biased as I'm a Hamilton fan so I couldn't be happier, even though I got up at 5:30 this morning to see about five minutes of his driving as it was a procession from start to finish.

I agree with most of this. The championship where Hamilton won on nearly the last corner on the last lap was pretty exciting.
  • Halix said:

And this is news ?!

Very good. My point was, Moira, it's been dull for donkeys years.
  • Sponsored links:

• The only challenge in F1 is who can develop the best car. As soon as the season starts and that is decided, it becomes dull and predictable.

What the sport needs is one car for all, then it's really all down to the driver and the pit crew..........................

Or no cars for anyone ;)
  • vff said:

On the racing. Hasn't it almost always been like this? Schumacher won seven titles, that makes the Premier League look super competitive.

I agree with most of this. The championship where Hamilton won on nearly the last corner on the last lap was pretty exciting.
    Yes you're right Hamilton didn't have a massive advantage did he. I thought he ran away with it but I now remember that Massa caught him up and, as you say, nearly won it at the death.

If you want that you can watch GP2 and GP3 or F3. F1 is about the teams pushing the boundaries of engineering innovation.

I actually love watching the GP2 race at the GP every year. What marked Hamilton out as a true great was how he mullered all the other drivers in equal machinery in the lower formulae. The year before he reached F1 he won race one of the GP2 support on the Saturday. Top 8 in the race are then reversed for the top 8 on the grid for Sunday's race. Well he won that as well - by about 20 secs. It was ridiculous.
  • Become dull? When wasn't it?
  • edited March 2015

Very good. My point was, Moira, it's been dull for donkeys years.

Derrr!

Up until tonight I would have disagreed as I have always previously found something to enjoy about it, but I cant see now how it will get back on track!.
  • Lost interest in F1 when Ronnie Petterson retired. Football is in danger of going the same way if it carries on being a procession of the wealthiest. Still, like F1 it will carry on being a money spinner if the "glamour" still appeals to enough punters with the money to buy tickets.

Ronnie Pettersen was killed in an accident on the first lap at Monza in 1978.
  • Ronnie Peterson.
  • A1 tried the same car for everyone routine a few years ago but it died on its arse. Must say as an ex enthusiast I find the whole thing a complete turn off these days.
  • Not a follower but is there not a market for a sport where they all race in the same type of car so it is truly a test of the best driver rather than the best drivers in the best cars?
  • 1997 just called. It wants its teletext title back.