Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Katie Hopkins reported to the police by the Society of Black Lawyers.

The sight of the names of either Hopkins or the SoBL will undoubtedly cause groans amongst many of us, but it's an interesting situation.

Link: Hopkins cockroaches comments incite hatred

Comments

• "I hope this email finds you well".
    What kind of dumb way is that to start a formal communication? Sounds like a twelve year old writing to a great aunt to thank her for her birthday present - in about 1957!
    Look, SOBL, if he's not well he won't be at work and won't be opening the email because he'll be at home feeling crap!
    How do they expect anyone to take them seriously?
  • For such an astute name do they ever do an real work?
  • edited April 2015

For such an astute name do they ever do an real work?

• If all these migrants are (Black) Lawyers can't they represent themselves?
  • Fight freedom of speech with freedom of speech and relax press guidelines so that it's ok to call her a racist shitbag without fear of a libel suit imo - see how much trolling she does thereafter
  • SBL sounds all very official and serious, but effectively its just one guy isn't it?
  • I read the Hopkins article. As usual, there was a lot of truth in what she wrote, the problem is the way in which she expresses her opinions, rabble rousing and invective which must just err on the side of legality otherwise I am sure that the Sun lawyers, who must be very watchful nowadays, would not have passed it for publication.
    The 'cockroaches' comment was used to describe the survivability, the grit and determination of many of the refugees. A backhanded compliment perhaps but an unfortunate choice of words.
    On the same page, smaller articles are published lampooning Sol Campbell for 'whiting up' and Nicola Sturgeon just for being errrr Nicola Sturgeon, so Katie is not all bad
  • Given the huge circulation of these comments in the Sun and in the media generally, the propensity for racial violence against people of African descent in the UK is obvious.

LOL what a load of old shite.

Does this guy not have serious stuff to do or is he just as fame hungry as that old jank-bag Hopkins?
  • Sponsored links:

• Katie is an attention seeker, she thrives on publicity. If everybody ignored her and bosses didn't give her a job she would soon scuttle back from where she came from.
  • The thing is that Hopkins is a joke and knows it. She plays the pantomine villain pretty well.

SoBL are actually trying to be serious but haven't realised how much of a joke they are just yet.

The dangerous thing is that whilst Hopkins talks rubbish, she's only talking rubbish on her own behalf. The SoBL are presumably trying to represent black lawyers so when they embarrass themselves they actually embarrass an entire demographic.
  • dickplumb said:

Katie is an attention seeker, she thrives on publicity. If everybody ignored her and bosses didn't give her a job she would soon scuttle back from where she came from.

and cockroaches are good at scuttling

• be interseting to get the Society of White Lawyers take on all of this.
  • Can't stand KH but Peter Herbert is a right twerp.
  • edited April 2015
    Giving negative publicity to Katie Hopkins and expecting her to go away is like trying to stop a runaway steam train by shovelling more coal onto the fire. If people could stop being outraged by what an incredibly bigoted, incredibly ignorant woman has to say, that'd be great.
  • Fiiish said:

Giving negative publicity to Katie Hopkins and expecting her to go away is like trying to stop a runaway steam train by shovelling more coal onto the fire. If people could stop being outraged by what an incredibly bigoted, incredibly ignorant woman has to say, that'd be great.

The thing is she's not ignorant. She's very well educated and intelligent. Well educated and intelligent enough to know exactly what to say to get the Twitter masses foaming at the mouth, which for some very saddening reason is her thing. I wonder what happened in her childhood to make it that way
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

The thing is she's not ignorant. She's very well educated and intelligent. Well educated and intelligent enough to know exactly what to say to get the Twitter masses foaming at the mouth, which for some very saddening reason is her thing. I wonder what happened in her childhood to make it that way
    The `some saddening reason' is probably that she makes a lot of money just being controversial.
  • PL54 said:

If all these migrants are (Black) Lawyers can't they represent themselves?

Flagtastic, thanks @vff
  • Fiiish said:

Ignorant doesn't mean lacks intelligence, it means she has utterly no idea what these people are going through that is forcing them to flee their countries.
  • If I'd written that email, my dad would slap me round the head.

What a terrible piece of writing. Can't anyone in that "society" write a proper email?
  • dickplumb said:

Katie is an attention seeker, she thrives on publicity. If everybody ignored her and bosses didn't give her a job she would soon scuttle back from where she came from.

I used to think this, and there are probably posts by me saying the same, but now I'm not so sure. Hopkins herself is irrelevant, but she doesn't appear all over the media by chance.

There are a few tweets by this guy on the topic, but I'll give you two

Here's a decent blog on free speech and dehumanising language, and here's the Wiki entry on RTLMC which I would encourage everyone to read (it's short).
  • Katie Hopkins is undoubtedly obnoxious at times, her recent comments on Alzheimers and Dementia sufferers being another case in point.

However, in my view, the real tragedy is that issues that affect the common man only get any sort of airing at all in the media via her kind of sensationalism and that very sensationalism puts her "side" on the back foot from the off should any debate ensue.
  • It's like 2 kids you don't like at school having a scrap. Just hope one breaks his hand knocking the other one out.