Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

St Georges Day

One of my favourite days of the year tomorrow.

What (if any) are your plans?

Since the Trax events stopped, the last four or five years our group of 15 or so have done our own thing drinking round London. This year we're doing our usual English fry-up followed by the boat up the Thames with like-minded bods. Ska music, grub and lots of beer in what is likely to be typical cloudy English weather. Lovely.

Looking forward to next year when a days annual leave will not be required to celebrate our Country's national day.

Shame arranged events don't get more media attention. For example the event held in West Bromwich on the nearest Sunday attracts thousands every year and is a roaring success, yet most people assume no one celebrates the day.

Whatever you are or are not doing - Enjoy your day!! There'll always be an England.

Comments

• I wonder how many pubs that embrace Paddys day will be doing a St Georges day?
  • Just another day for me.
  • iainment said:

Just another day for me.

Thanks for that.
  • Greenie said:

I wonder how many pubs that embrace Paddys day will be doing a St Georges day?

I reckon you'd be surprised. Guinness do a great marketing job though

• The Summerfield in Baring Road was suitably decked in flags this morning....
  • http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/st-georges-day-21-reasons-3445250

This is good although having claimed Ska and Northern Soul as English (Jamaican and American respectively) you do have to doubt some of the other claims.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Stag do in Edinburgh Friday morning so will be keeping my powder dry on Thursday.

Used to take a day's leave / half day for it and had some good / mixed days out. Priorities change now, its not particularly high on my list now but good luck to those that have a day outing.

The annual various bleating about embracing in comparison to St Patrick / Andrew / David does my swede in though.

And the "everybody says it's racist to celebrate St George's day".

They don't.
    Ha very true, although someone will be along in a minute to tell us that St George wasn't even English blah blah blah.

Will have a few beers at lunch and fish & chips for dinner. Thats about it though.
  • http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/st-georges-day-21-reasons-3445250

This is good although having claimed Ska and Northern Soul as English (Jamaican and American respectively) you do have to doubt some of the other claims.

"Take St George's day back"!!
  • Also on the boat
  • Lots of stuff going on in Dartford town centre if you're in the area, including brass band, morris dancers, schools parade - sadly I'll be at work so won't be able to join in, but last year they were giving out badges etc. at the station in the morning

https://www.dartford.gov.uk/by-category/leisure-and-culture2/events/st-georges-day
  • those that have a day outing.

The annual various bleating about embracing in comparison to St Patrick / Andrew / David does my swede in though.

This this this this but I supposed that is a very English thing.
  • edited April 2015
    And our REAL patron saint's day is 20 November http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-22649102
  • Stag do in Edinburgh Friday morning so will be keeping my powder dry on Thursday.

Used to take a day's leave / half day for it and had some good / mixed days out. Priorities change now, its not particularly high on my list now but good luck to those that have a day outing.

Unlucky.
  • Does the boat go under London bridge and if so roughly what time... i can show the whole office the Charlton fans on the boat.. no mooning.
  • Curb_It said:

Does the boat go under London bridge and if so roughly what time... i can show the whole office the Charlton fans on the boat.. no mooning.

No mooning but maybe a rousing rendition of "get your **** out"
  • I think St George was Syrian which, if true, seems sadly ironic...
  • Sponsored links:

• I think St George was Syrian which, if true, seems sadly ironic...

Thought he was a Turk

• few pints at lunchtime tomorrow that's for sure
  • edited April 2015

I think St George was Syrian which, if true, seems sadly ironic...

Thought he was a Turk

Coming over 'ere......slaying our dragons....etc.
    Shame he missed the mother in law though

• His parents were Greek aristocrats and he was a soldier in the Roman army.

This was before the Euro zone (obviously).

• His parents were Greek aristocrats and he was a soldier in the Roman army.

This was before the Euro zone (obviously).

Does Farage know?

• se9addick said:

Stag do in Edinburgh Friday morning so will be keeping my powder dry on Thursday.

And the "everybody says it's racist to celebrate St George's day".

They don't.
    although someone will be along in a minute to tell us that St George wasn't even English blah blah blah.
    37 minutes.
  • For those that frequent The Pelton Arms

"St Georges Day is tomorrow and so being the charitably English pub that we are...dinner is on us from 6pm - 7:30pm. Free bangers & mash or mini fish & chips for one and all. Dragons can be tied up in the garden."