Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ALAN PARDEW

MCSMCS
edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Morning Chaps + Chapettes,

Just a little tribute thread to our Sooper Al. As i have just mentioned it in the Reidy thread i thought it deserved its own thread. I have been so impressed by his management skills, both on the pitch and as a man manager. We feel like a proper club again, not one going through turmoil, but one on the up, on the rise, going forward. I am not sure if i am just being wierd, and by no means am i going to start stalking pards (Little bent is enough for me, anyway i wouldnt wanna take Sco's mantle as Pards Stalker!) .

Anyone else a big pards fan, or is it just me?

Al Al Sooper Al

Comments

• lets just hope in the Summer, other Premiership clubs aren't as big fans of him as we are....
  • Always liked him, always admired him, both as a player and as a manager. Just so glad he's ours. However, like AFKA, have the fear he won't be doing 15 years!
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]anyway i wouldnt wanna take Sco's mantle as Pards Stalker

I'm a bit new to this game, Olé, can we discuss stalking techniques "off air" ?

I too am very impressed by Pards. This is tempered by some of his post match comments after the WH game. I hope he develops a love for our club rapidly, because otherwise I see him moving on (not necessarily in the summer) rather than trying to make us bigger.
  • Think we'll hang onto him longer than the summer though - whatever happens to us. He's still probably got a bit to prove after the way it ended at WHU, and we give him the right platform for that.

Future England manager? (I've certainly been impressed by the way he's got the best out of players, which is what England job is all about.)
  • From what I hear about him around the club he is ever so positive & it has started to rub off on people who were probably resigned to relegation. I think his personality is beginning to rub off on the team as performances (Boro game apart) have been consistent & positive. He also would appear to be not taking any crap from anyone messing him around. Certain players appear to want to play for him (M.Bent, Thomas, Ambrose) to name a few appear to be raising their game. Shame we got him when we did could have done with him directly after Dowie went.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] He's still probably got a bit to prove after the way it ended at WHU, and we give him the right platform for that.

Exactly. Unfortunately i see us as a platform / stepping stone, and this is very much a short-term appointment.

I hope i'm wrong more than anything.
  • edited February 2007
    Re. his post match comments. I thought he handled the whole affair brilliantly. I'm sure he was delighted to have stuffed what is essentially Egg's club, while on the other hand as a pro would not want to publicly take the piss out of a fellow manager/mate and some players who he obviously has some affection for. I would like to think he was slightly more animated in the dressing room, in fact I'm sure he was.
    Imagine the result in reverse, I'm sure Curbs would have reacted with the same dignity. You want to do the best for the club you are at but you don't rub your rivals face in it when they are down.
    Be gracious in victory as well as defeat and all that.....
  • Should relegation happen (and if you'd asked me at christmas then that was a cert, but I'm not so sure now) then I have no doubt that we've got the best bloke to have a good go next year....

I think he's certainly got another 2/3 years here.....he can groom Kinsella for the role in my opinion and that'll do for me !
  • I don't think we need to worry too much about Pardew leaving, he is clearly very happy to be at the club and having been badly burned by the Biscuitman he will be desperate to be a success with us.

The best thing about managing Charlton is that you get to work for Richard Murray, who, as Curbs says in his book over and over NEVER sticks his nose in team affairs and lets the manager manage the football side with no interference.

Compare that with his previous employers, Madjeski (what a twat), Brown and Magnusson and I doubt Pards will be in a hurry to go anywhere even if we go down, which I don't think we will.

The other bonus for us, although not neccesarily for Pards, is that our status as an "unfashionable" club might work in the same way that it did for Curbs and stop any of the big boys coming in for him.

I mean, lets face it, if you leave Charlton [who should be a mid-ranking Premiership team] then where do you really go? The big four don't want English managers (especially if they have come from Charlton) so who does that leave that he would leave us for? Spurs, Newcastle, Villa, Boro?

I think, and very much hope, that he will be with us for a long, long time and that when he moves on it IS to one of the big four because that will mean he has done a top job for us.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite] I think, and very much hope, that he will be with us for a long, long time and that when he moves on it IS to one of the big four because that will mean he has done a top job for us.
    True, although I guess I could settle for being with us for a short time but moving to a big 4 club for the same reason!
  • Sponsored links:

• Pardew is clearly the natural successor to Curbs and we can soon forget about May-November 2006. Not only is the team spirit back but with the players signed I actually think we have as a good a squad as we have had for a while + the football is attractive.

If we can get the planning to enlarge the ground (and not just the extra 3,000 already agreed) I wonder whether Pardew is the one to take Charlton to the next level, i.e., attendances above 30,000 and the odd cup final!!! Like they say about the star players we sometimes have in a Charlton shirt - "why bother with a middling club when you should bide your time and aim for the top 4-6"

All I can say is that the Wycombe and liverpool games seem a long time ago!
  • I can't see Pards leaving for another season or two and then where does he go? At Charlton he has a supportative management structure behind him and a job to do. It's unlikely that the big four are going to be interested in him at least right now - there has to be a question about how he handles big egos, that leaves teams like Spurs, Newcastle, Villa etc.

I think he'll be here for another two seasons at least and by then we may have Parkinson ready to take over, or Kinsella.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Re. his post match comments. I thought he handled the whole affair brilliantly. I'm sure he was delighted to have stuffed what is essentially Egg's club, while on the other hand as a pro would not want to publicly take the piss out of a fellow manager/mate and some players who he obviously has some affection for. I would like to think he was slightly more animated in the dressing room, in fact I'm sure he was.
    Imagine the result in reverse, I'm sure Curbs would have reacted with the same dignity. You want to do the best for the club you are at but you don't rub your rivals face in it when they are down.
    Be gracious in victory as well as defeat and all that.....

Well put DJ.

I too have been impressed by him. The transformation in outlook of this club since he took over is quite simply astonishing. I for one did not believe that this was possible when he took over. Let's face it, we are still in a pretty big hole and getting out of it is by no means certain. What is pretty certain is that he has got the belief back that it can happen. When you think about it, that's about all he can do. I salute what has been achieved so far.
  • edited February 2007
    "Let's face it, we are still in a pretty big hole and getting out of it is by no means certain. "

Yep we may not escape, but if we don't we'll be well positioned to bounce back under Pardew.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]"Let's face it, we are still in a pretty big hole and getting out of it is by no means certain. "

Yep we may not escape, but if we don't we'll be well positioned to bounce back under Pardew.

Spot on.
  • I think Pardew was relieved to get the 3 points on Saturday.
    But more than a little sad to see the team that he essentially built swept away.

That's 4 years of his life's work counting for nothing.

But he'll put all that behind him now.

When he joined, he said he was pleased to be joining a club he knew, with people he knew and trusted.
    And he made play on the fact that as Charlton was his old club and that he reckoned he played his best football here, that he felt it was the right club for him.

I think Pards feels he can build something here - and it gives him a platform to prove a point.
  • I feel much better after Oggy's post, thank you.

ALAN PARDEW'S RED AND WHITE ARMY!

• [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]I feel much better after Oggy's post, thank you.

[h1]ALAN PARDEW'S RED AND WHITE ARMY![/h1]

Got the wrong thread, Sco!
  • ScoSco
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Got the wrong thread, Sco!

I'm bi-threadual!
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems such a long time ago now.
  • OUCH !!!
  • blimey
  • Embarrassing!

For those who thought I was too quick to judge him, well, re-reading this, they were clearly right!!
  • I didn't realise I drank so much in those days.......
  • we are staying up
  • Hilarious. someone else go and dig up some more pearlers.
  • damn you search facility !
  • Ha ha ha where has the Pardew love in gone

Some peeps on here have seriously changed their tune
  • what sort of bellend would start a thread like this!!