Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Smith fight is at least fun, though I think it's beyond him
  • Saw the Groves fight yesterday (didn't even know it was on till I got a sub standard and the advert was wrapped around the front page) Groves won it with ease though the German/kazakhstani showed a bit of metal and took what groves had to offer. shame he got a cut next to his eye which ruined any chance of him coming back in the latter rounds but overall not a bad fight.

Tonight, well tomorrow morning there's a big fight involving Ward and Kovalev. Both undefeated but I think Ward will win on points.
  • Ward v Kovalev, when was the last time we had 2 genuine p4p fighters facing each other while in their prime.
    Class fight.
    I'd like Kovalev to win but think Ward will win a wide UD. The guy is just so hard to hit.
  • Dodgy decision there, I had Kovalev up by 3 rounds plus the knockdown
  • I think there's a case for either fighter to have won that. Very close fight. Kovalev in charge early on, but Ward came back strong in the last few rounds. Almost inevitable though that Ward gets a hometown decision with the fight being in the US with 3 american judges. If that fight was in Russia then Kovalev wins it. Sad but that's the way boxing is.

Pretty sure they'll have to have a rematch.
  • I think there's a case for either fighter to have won that. Very close fight. Kovalev in charge early on, but Ward came back strong in the last few rounds. Almost inevitable though that Ward gets a hometown decision with the fight being in the US with 3 american judges. If that fight was in Russia then Kovalev wins it. Sad but that's the way boxing is.

Agreed, either fighter or a draw would have been fair results - not a great fight though. Yes there will be a rematch.

If you want a dodgy decision then look at the fight that preceded Ward/Kovalev. Darleys Perez was clearly the winner yet Hooker retains title with a draw - absolute disgrace.
  • bobmunro said:

I think there's a case for either fighter to have won that. Very close fight. Kovalev in charge early on, but Ward came back strong in the last few rounds. Almost inevitable though that Ward gets a hometown decision with the fight being in the US with 3 american judges. If that fight was in Russia then Kovalev wins it. Sad but that's the way boxing is.

Agreed, either fighter or a draw would have been fair results - not a great fight though. Yes there will be a rematch.

If you want a dodgy decision then look at the fight that preceded Ward/Kovalev. Darleys Perez was clearly the winner yet Hooker retains title with a draw - absolute disgrace.
    Although he isn't the most explosive to watch I love watching Ward fight... He's just so hard to hit. Definitely needs a rematch
  • bobmunro said:

I think there's a case for either fighter to have won that. Very close fight. Kovalev in charge early on, but Ward came back strong in the last few rounds. Almost inevitable though that Ward gets a hometown decision with the fight being in the US with 3 american judges. If that fight was in Russia then Kovalev wins it. Sad but that's the way boxing is.

Didn't see it but saw the outrage on twitter. Some people saying Hooker didn't even win a round yet gets a draw. Surely there has to be an enquiry?
  • bobmunro said:

Didn't see it but saw the outrage on twitter. Some people saying Hooker didn't even win a round yet gets a draw. Surely there has to be an enquiry?
    I saw that. complete disgrace. those judges were brought. blatant fix and another disappointing day for the sport. I had perez wining every round bar one.

for the main fight I thought the decision was the right one. ward did more and landed more imo. still, it was very close fight.

after the Groves fight on Friday his opponent Eduard Gutknecht was taken to hospital where he's had surgery. he collapsed in his dressing room. hope he's alright.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whoever the judge was that gave it 97-93 to Hooker, he should be banned.
  • Ward Kovalev was quite a hard fight to score. Lots of tight rounds where it depends what you like.
    I've seen scores of Kovalev by 7 rounds and the other way Ward by 5 rounds.
    Personally had it 114-113 to Kovalev, 6 rounds each, the knockdown being the difference.
  • 44/60 boxing media scored it to Kovalev.

But IMO it was one of those fights I can't see it as "a disgrace" if either fighter get the nod by a round or two.

http://talkingboxing.co.uk/we-go-to-the-scorecards-kovalev-v-ward
  • I thought Kovalev nicked it by 1 round maybe 2 with the knockdown
  • Had it 115-112 kov.

He was never going to get a decision
  • I had Ward by six but can see why others scored it the other way entirely .
  • I had it Ward by one.
  • Billy Joe Saunders calling out GGG , not on that performance he ain't.

Also why is a decent world champ such as him fighting in a leisure centre ? Hopefully when the BT sport deal with boxnation kicks in things will change.
  • Not sure what's happen between him and Jimmy Tibbs but he needs to get it sorted quick.
    Genuinely believe I would have been more of an asset in his corner tonight. The guy was absolutely clueless.
    He needs Jimmy back, quick!
  • Jimmy Tibbs refused to work with him after he started cutting camp and rolling up out of shape and unfit to train properly. Unfortunate trait of the traveller community, real lack of discipline. Hence so few quality fighters from a fighting background.
  • Sponsored links:

• Eubank Jnr moving up to Super Middle to fight relative unknown Australian Renold Quinlan in 2017 on (wait for it)....ITV Box Office

Gonna need some undercard to sell that
  • Gonna need a headliner to sell that.

Moving up to Super-middleweight to get away from Billy-Joe Saunders and GGG too.
  • Gonna need a headliner to sell that.

Moving up to Super-middleweight to get away from Billy-Joe Saunders and GGG too.

...and walk straight in to Groves and Degale.
  • Please god they're not gonna bill the ibo as a world title.
  • Eubank Jnr moving up to Super Middle to fight relative unknown Australian Renold Quinlan in 2017 on (wait for it)....ITV Box Office

Gonna need some undercard to sell that

That's hilarious.
  • Apparently the undercard gonna be shown free on itv4
    Makes even less sense

• 1 month later moving up a division instead...
    Hes so one handed, its a disgrace......!
  • Ridiculous. Literally told getting in the ring again could kill him and he starts sparring.
    The others involved, i.e. Trainers, gym owner, sparring partner etc should all face punishment too imo