Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

IAAF World Championships London 2017

I note that Jessica Ennis-Hill will receive a gold medal on Sunday at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic stadium. This follows the stripping of Tatyana Chernova’s gold from the 2011 World Championships due to doping.

OK I know we all love Jessica and wouldn’t begrudge her moment of glory, but on the other hand, the moment she steps on that rostrum we have to accept that World athletics is rotten to the core. Hardly the image the Championships would want to project, what a strange contradiction.

Furthermore, if all ‘wronged’ athletes are to be awarded the same respect as Jessica, ‘Cheats Corner’ could become a feature of all major championships in the foreseeable future What a funny old World we live in.

Despite the above I'll be watching. I just can't help myself, I love the heat of the competition.. I reckon Saturday will bring my 53rd year of supporting Charlton and I look forward with baited breath just like the previous 52 years ... some people never learn eh?

Comments

• Big shout out to Josh Griffiths... Someone who wasnt even heard of at the beginning of the year yet after entering his first Marathon in London, he not only won the mass race but became the first British Marathon runner home resulting in instant qualification for these World Championships which funnily enough be just his second Marathon race

Be an awesome fairy tale for him if he somehow won
  • edited August 2017
    <
  • Well done Jess Judd. Quality field in her heat and took them all on. Can't ask more than qualifying with a PB for a young athlete.
  • Well done Jess Judd. Quality field in her heat and took them all on. Can't ask more than qualifying with a PB for a young athlete.

Same for Sarah McDonald too. Great reaction to being told she was a fastest loser live on the tele.
  • Mo Farah looks uneasy to me.
  • Wow, what a man. Here's to you Sir Mo
  • What a race from Mo, unbelievable speed at the finish
  • Flippin love you Mo!!

Legend
  • Our greatest track athlete ever?

Such a class act over so long career wise.
  • Great race from Mo, very lucky that when he got bumped off the track, he didn't step on the edge stone and not go over on his ankle.

• Sponsored links:

• Truly magnificent and awe inspiring. Without question our greatest ever and one of the world's greatest ever.

Echos of 2012 and like then I've lost my voice.

So proud of you, Mo.
  • MrOneLung said:

Mo Farah looks uneasy to me.

you may have been watching a different race to me? that was possibly the most comfortable I've ever seen him in a 10,000. when the kenyans and ugandans surged just before halfway he let them run a 61 and from that point on he knew none of them could beat him which only really left Hadis as a threat and he went too early.

• rina said:

MrOneLung said:

you may have been watching a different race to me? that was possibly the most comfortable I've ever seen him in a 10,000. when the kenyans and ugandans surged just before halfway he let them run a 61 and from that point on he knew none of them could beat him which only really left Hadis as a threat and he went too early.

Well he had to run his second fastest time ever to win it.

Michael Johnson said the same.
  • Let's be honest, no one watched grown men run around a track for half an hour cheering the whole race until Mo.

5 years to the day since he won Olympic Gold in the 10k

• Agreed Bournemouth. He has pretty much won every major race in the last six years.

Never a duff race, has this ability to add drama by never making you convinced 'he's got it' until right to the end, and seems to draw non-athletics fans into being drawn into 26 minute races. Likeable family man and (unusual for these shores) born winner who turns up when it matters every single time
  • I seem to remember Jess Judd doubling up in World Juniors at 800 and 1500 and medalling impressively, sub 2'?. Looked next best thing then Muir stepped up. JJ must have been injured perhaps?
  • @harveys_gardener our country is plagued with talented youngsters who then never kick on to be top level seniors, Mark Lewis Francis, Jess Judd etc for one reason or another
  • MrOneLung said:

rina said:

MrOneLung said:

Well he had to run his second fastest time ever to win it.

Michael Johnson said the same.
    yep, and he looked supremely comfortable in doing so

he would have run his fastest time ever if that was what was needed
  • On a totally unrelated matter has the BBC Sport logo changed its shade of yellow online or is it just my phone ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I seem to remember Jess Judd doubling up in World Juniors at 800 and 1500 and medalling impressively, sub 2'?. Looked next best thing then Muir stepped up. JJ must have been injured perhaps?

yes she has had problems; including a break in her back a few years ago
  • If Mo says it was one of the toughest races of his career then you can't argue otherwise.

m.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40834447
  • johnny73 said:

If Mo says it was one of the toughest races of his career then you can't argue otherwise.

It was by far his hardest race over 10k but the best in my opinion. Tactically ran it brilliantly and experience let him pace it well.
    It still staggers me how they can sprint the last lap. Most of us couldn't do one lap.
    Got a great ticket for tonight, close to the start. Not worth selling for £800.
  • IT_Andy said:

johnny73 said:

If Mo says it was one of the toughest races of his career then you can't argue otherwise.

It was by far his hardest race over 10k but the best in my opinion. Tactically ran it brilliantly and experience let him pace it well.
    It still staggers me how they can sprint the last lap. Most of us couldn't do one lap.
    I'm jealous, Andy !

have a fantastic evening & enjoy every minute .
  • Having just got a pb on my local parkrun of 27.58 and knowing Mo ran double that quicker, my admiration for him has just gone up a little bit more!!

What an athlete and role model.
  • Having just got a pb on my local parkrun of 27.58 and knowing Mo ran double that quicker, my admiration for him has just gone up a little bit more!!

What an athlete and role model.

That was for the 1,500m ?

:smile:
  • IT_Andy said:

johnny73 said:

I'm jealous, Andy !

have a fantastic evening & enjoy every minute .
    Thanks. I splashed out £155 last year, bloody expensive but hopefully worth it.
  • edited August 2017
    IT_Andy said:

johnny73 said:

Cost of a ticket - £800

Being present to witness the greatest athlete in history prove for the final time he is the fastest man on the planet - priceless.

Have a great evening - you jammy git!!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!