Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just cancelled sky. Looking for new tv deal

Hi all

We are moving next week & after looking at my sky bill, I've just cancelled sky as we were paying £63.50 a month. Even after speaking to them the reduction still worked out at £51. All we were getting for that was the entertainment package & capped fibre at 25 gigabytes a month so I've now cancelled. For that sort of money I'd expect the sports &/or movies too!

Now on the lookout for a new tv package for our new house. Must have unlimited fibe. Preferably also Sky Atlantic but not essential.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Firstly, sign up to this if you haven't already - https://www.quidco.com/

You can get £100+ in cashback if you've clicked through Quidco on your way to signing up to BT/Virgin/whoever.

Talk Talk have got some good offers on at the moment but apparently rubbish customer service. My first year with BT has been pretty good.
  • Wouldn't surprise me if they come begging with better offers. Last time I left I had phone calls and emails a week or two later offering everything half price.
  • edited August 2017
    MrLargo said:

Firstly, sign up to this if you haven't already - https://www.quidco.com/

You can get £100+ in cashback if you've clicked through Quidco on your way to signing up to BT/Virgin/whoever.

Talk Talk have got some good offers on at the moment but apparently rubbish customer service. My first year with BT has been pretty good.

And topcashback who usually offer more.

Signed up to standalone bt broadband yesterday through them, 75 cashback and 40 bt reward card. Bt sport free for a year. With the cashback works out as low as the cheapest plusnet offer.
  • Plusnet is a cheap subsidiary of BT, so you can get access to the BT TV package. Doesn't have much FTTP coverage, but the service is top notch.
  • I thought Sky Atlantic was only available on Sky? Basically the reason I can't cancel and move to BT/Virgin!
  • I think you would be best served by phoning up and saying you want a reduction or you are off.
  • I think you would be best served by phoning up and saying you want a reduction or you are off.

That's what I did and the best they could do was to reduce from £63.50 to £51. Considering we only have a basic tv package & capped fibre, I still thought it was too much!
  • se9addick said:

I thought Sky Atlantic was only available on Sky? Basically the reason I can't cancel and move to BT/Virgin!

You can get Sky Atlantic via Now TV.
  • In my experience you have to give them notice to cancel. Their first offers are not the best. They usually phone back on the day of cancellation with their best offer.
  • If you've got the sky app , within the last week of your cancellation period you'll get 50-60% off offers. You can then ring them to accept and still get bits off. I.e ask for half price multi room (if you already have it). Mine was due to go to £82pm (full package etc...) we now pay £46.
  • Sponsored links:

• For the last 3 years now I think I have cancelled and then signed up again on the last day of notice period.
  • Ultimatum said:

If you've got the sky app , within the last week of your cancellation period you'll get 50-60% off offers. You can then ring them to accept and still get bits off. I.e ask for half price multi room (if you already have it). Mine was due to go to £82pm (full package etc...) we now pay £46.

This.

Failing that, let the cancellation go through. Within 2-4 weeks you'll get flyers through the post offering discounts to come back. Last time I did, I got 50% off for 5 years.
  • edited August 2017
    If your moving house I thought a new deal would be offer, this happened to me in the past. Alternatively do what other have said and wait for sky to bombard you with phone calls and letters (if redirected) about half price deals for 12 months.
    Early this because of next door tree blocking my satelite dish I cancelled Sky contract and still got loads of calls to my mobile and letters threw the post.
    In the short term Now TV could be a cheaper alternative.
  • cafcpolo said:

Ultimatum said:

If you've got the sky app , within the last week of your cancellation period you'll get 50-60% off offers. You can then ring them to accept and still get bits off. I.e ask for half price multi room (if you already have it). Mine was due to go to £82pm (full package etc...) we now pay £46.

This.

Failing that, let the cancellation go through. Within 2-4 weeks you'll get flyers through the post offering discounts to come back. Last time I did, I got 50% off for 5 years.
    cafcpolo said:

Ultimatum said:

This.

These two approaches are definitely the way to go if you want Sky (or Virgin) TV. Other option...

I've recently got rid of 'regular' Sky and gone to Now TV (Entertainment + Movies) and Netflix + broadband (BT Infinity was best I could do because I can't get Virgin). All of the TV/Movies content I can get my hands on, good internet connection for streaming and with no adverts. If I really want to watch some sport I'll buy a Sky Sports day pass (e.g. Lions tour). Actually much prefer it, because I find that I don't actually watch 'channels' any more.
  • I want to upgrade to Sky Q, but I have a recording on my Sky+HD box (when my daughter was a mascot at a match) that I really want to keep. Only way of getting it off the box in HD quality is buying about £200 worth of kit that You Tubers use for recording video games.

That said I think overall Sky service is pretty good, especially the apps and sky go on consoles.
  • I've just haggled Sky down from £74pm (sports and cinema) to £55.60pm.

Could I have done a better haggle?
  • I want to upgrade to Sky Q, but I have a recording on my Sky+HD box (when my daughter was a mascot at a match) that I really want to keep. Only way of getting it off the box in HD quality is buying about £200 worth of kit that You Tubers use for recording video games.

That said I think overall Sky service is pretty good, especially the apps and sky go on consoles.

Could you not buy a dvd recorder and a HDMI splitter. Feed the signal out of Sky box, record on the dvd recorder, keep the disc and return the recorder?
  • se9addick said:

I thought Sky Atlantic was only available on Sky? Basically the reason I can't cancel and move to BT/Virgin!

Is it not on nowtv ?
  • Sponsored links:

• iamdan said:

I've just haggled Sky down from £74pm (sports and cinema) to £55.60pm.

Definitely. I have the full package (for TV) plus another box upstairs and we pay £46pm.
  • cafcpolo said:

I want to upgrade to Sky Q, but I have a recording on my Sky+HD box (when my daughter was a mascot at a match) that I really want to keep. Only way of getting it off the box in HD quality is buying about £200 worth of kit that You Tubers use for recording video games.

Could you not buy a dvd recorder and a HDMI splitter. Feed the signal out of Sky box, record on the dvd recorder, keep the disc and return the recorder?
    I'm sure there must be a work around. In fact, it would be a good plan to have a back-up of treasured recordings anyway in case the old box died or the drive crashed. There's some free software called Copy+ which transfers stuff from a sky box to a PC's drive. But you'd need to check this out thoroughly as I think you might need to remove the hard drive from the sky box and put it in a caddy (which are only about £15). But you probably wouldn't want to mess about with that until you've got your shiny new box.
  • cafcpolo said:

I want to upgrade to Sky Q, but I have a recording on my Sky+HD box (when my daughter was a mascot at a match) that I really want to keep. Only way of getting it off the box in HD quality is buying about £200 worth of kit that You Tubers use for recording video games.

I can record in standard definition to a DVD recorder using scart leads, low cost. Sky encrypt the recording so having researched over the web to record in HD I would need a gaming capture device and a HD Fury HDMI splitter.
  • Ultimatum said:

iamdan said:

Definitely. I have the full package (for TV) plus another box upstairs and we pay £46pm.
    Jheez! I better get on the phone.

• iamdan said:

Ultimatum said:

iamdan said:

Me too. I'm paying £80pm for full TV package plus an additional box but not broadband. Moving soon so will be looking for a better offer.
  • edited August 2017
    I'm changing over from Sky-HD multi room to Sky Q multi room next week. I get to keep my old Sky-HD boxes.

What can I do with them other than stick them in the loft or bin them. Are they worth anything ?
  • shine166 said:

se9addick said:

Is it not on nowtv ?
    I've got Virgin, watch GOT on Sky Atlantic via the Now TV app on my TV.
  • iamdan said:

Ultimatum said:

iamdan said:

Me too. I'm paying £80pm for full TV package plus an additional box but not broadband. Moving soon so will be looking for a better offer.
    We're bl00dy paying £90 a month to Virgin for the phone, broadband and tv. I'm sure the majority of the channels are free to air anyway - we don't have any 'extras' like Sky Sports 1 or the films. Our price for loyalty...
  • I'm changing over from Sky-HD multi room to Sky Q multi room next week. I get to keep my old Sky-HD boxes.

What can I do with them other than stick them in the loft or bin them. Are they worth anything ?

Might go for a tenner ot so on ebay i suppose. Hardly worth the aggro. (I believe they don't work with Q: you get a new LNB on the dish and a new card.) So, it sounds like WEEE to me.

A word of caution if you use Freesat as well you'll need to get Sky to install a hybrid LNB otherwise you'll lose that service.
  • To be fair the cost of Fibre broadband is not being discounted much. I'm paying more for Fibre broadband than ever. It's the TV channels that they will discount and that is bceause you can get most - if not all the shows and sports on a Kodi box that costs nothing. Except for the cost of broadband.