Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v West Indies 2017

Couldn't find thread

So, first day night test in England. We won toss and bat.

Comments

• Stoneman bowled for 8 by Roach
  • Why should a white or pink ball behave differently to red ball? Why can't they make it exactly the same but just a different colour?
  • MrOneLung said:

Why should a white or pink ball behave differently to red ball? Why can't they make it exactly the same but just a different colour?

IF anyone could answer that, they'd do Simon Hughes and all the other analysts out of a job .. and for that matter, why do some red balls swing more than others ? ..
    tiny differences in seam stitches, slight/tiny biases in the manufacture of the ball, overhead weather conditions, and of course the relative skills of the bowler etc. etc. etc .. all theories as to 'what affects the trajectory of cricket balls' ((:>)
  • I think the dyes are different. Also the white ball has an extra coating to stop it getting dirty
  • whatever colour the ball, England's new batsmen are struggling
  • I think swing is a lot to do with air turbulence so the material may might make a difference. I'm sure I read somewhere that the colour of arrow fletches in archery makes a difference, so maybe it makes a difference in cricket?
  • MrOneLung said:

Thats Surrey/Essex for you...

Hopefully the other Essex and Surrey batsmen will also fail tonight and tomorrow tonight :smile:
  • edited August 2017
    The reports from the county games were that the pink ball does a lot for 10-15 overs then does very little.

To get through that period 2 down is not too bad. Have ro cash in before the next new ball. We should be aiming to have them 4 down in that period.

I'm worried that we've gone in with 2 swing bowlers in Jimmy and TRJ. Possibly should have picked someone with more pace and bounce. Since we have both of them we might as well use them while the ball swings. We must open with both of them and not broad.
  • Apparently the red ball has a coating that the pink ball can't have as it will dull the colour of the pink down making it hard to spot. Without this coating the pink ball gets soft a lot quicker than the red ball
  • Sponsored links:

• Are we scoring an unusually high percentage of boundaries in this innings?
  • The reorts from the county games were that the pink ball does a lot for 10-15 overs then does very little.

To get through that period 2 down is not too bad. Have ro cash in before the next new ball. We should be aiming to have them 4 down in that period.

I'm worried that we've gone in with 2 swing bowlers in Jimmy and TRJ. Possibly should have picked someone with more pace and bounce. Since we have both of them we might as well use them while the ball swings. We must open with both of them and not broad.

This middle session will be important too, as scoring now should be easier than when the lights go on after tea
  • This is too easy for JE Root
  • Ton up for Root, I back Anderson to get a knock against this mob.
  • CHG said:

Ton up for Root, I back Anderson to get a knock against this mob.

We will declare before Anderson gets a bat
  • IF they were dead, Michael Holding and I V Richards would be turning in their graves ((:>)
  • Ambrose and Richards are in the stand--- could probably have a go even today. With back up from Mr Holding in the commentary box who took over 200 test wickets.
  • Cook has his ton now.
  • And Sobers. The greatest all rounder the game has ever seen.
  • And Sobers. The greatest all rounder the game has ever seen.

The only Sober(s) person in the ground!
  • Sponsored links:

• I predict the game will be all over inside 3 days. we will get 550+ & the W Indies will be out for under 250 in both their innings.
  • Holding, Garner, Roberts, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh... You could stick three or four of them in any all time XI and not have to fight hard to justify it
  • Getting very, very dull now. Root should try to hit a few sixes
  • McBobbin said:

Holding, Garner, Roberts, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh... You could stick three or four of them in any all time XI and not have to fight hard to justify it

Those days hurt.
    It's nice to be on top now though
  • Switched over to watch Adam Lyth. Much more fun
  • edited August 2017
    Root gone 136 clean bowled middle & leg.

287-3
  • 287-3 root 136
  • Root's gone - only 136 - need a new captain!
  • Root's gone - only 136 - need a new captain!

It's a good job he and some if the old guard can get a few runs because the new lads.................well less said best mended.
  • McBobbin said:

Holding, Garner, Roberts, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh... You could stick three or four of them in any all time XI and not have to fight hard to justify it

Those days hurt.
    It's nice to be on top now though
    Agreed, though I'd rather have a strong WI test team in the mix.