Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael O'Leary & Ryanair

Following the debarcle of thousands of cancelled flights due to a lack of pilots, they are now accused by the CAA of "misleading the public" and threatened with legal action - they are meant to book people on alternative flights but O'Leary has so far stated that they will not be doing so.

How are they going to re-coup this money? Take the seats out and standing room only?

Comments

• edited September 2017
    My flight to Rome next month was one of those cancelled - fortunately I was able to choose another flight the day before. Also, the 4 of us got £80 flight vouchers each. Which ties in nicely for return flights to Madrid in February.

Utter shambles though.
  • What I can't understand is ,I've had emails from Ryanair telling about the 1 million seat sale at he beginning of the week, flights during the time that they've now cancelling flights.
  • My flight to Rome next month was one of those cancelled - fortunately I was able to choose another flight the day before. Also, the 4 of us got £80 flight vouchers each. Which ties in nicely for return flights to Madrid in February.

Utter shambles though.

How did you get the vouchers @ricky_otto ?

Had a flight to Glasgow cancelled, got the refund but didn't see a voucher mentioned.
  • Following the debarcle of thousands of cancelled flights due to a lack of pilots, they are now accused by the CAA of "misleading the public" and threatened with legal action - they are meant to book people on alternative flights but O'Leary has so far stated that they will not be doing so.

How are they going to re-coup this money? Take the seats out and standing room only?

I saw him on BBC Breakfast news this morning, his reasoning was basically “we're the cheapest, how can we afford to book alternative flights” Not quite sure how that's gonna work out for RyanAir, one would hope not very well!
  • Following the debarcle of thousands of cancelled flights due to a lack of pilots, they are now accused by the CAA of "misleading the public" and threatened with legal action - they are meant to book people on alternative flights but O'Leary has so far stated that they will not be doing so.

I saw him on BBC Breakfast news this morning, his reasoning was basically “we're the cheapest, how can we afford to book alternative flights” Not quite sure how that's gonna work out for RyanAir, one would hope not very well!
    They made £1.1bn last year. I'm sure they could afford it even if it means that O'Leary has to sell a few of his horses to do so.
  • for me ryanair are a good thing because the price of flights nowadays are so affordable, im a regular london to ireland flyer 13/14 times a year, on a short haul flight like that there fine, i prefer aer lingus but i always go with cost if aer lingus are £20 or less more than ill go with them, im fortunate as im on probably one of there prime routes, i think london to dublin is one of the 10 most frequent flight routes in europe.

unfortunately for them they started the trend of cheap airlines and now there's so many that the market is full, i know recently they have made a strict policy of 1 bag only, unfortunate as i usuaully have a cabin sized suitcase and a laptop bag going forward i will have to pay to check my cabin suitcase in or squeeze the laptop bag into the cabin bag.

he is a crook and i dont agree with the way he monopolizes nh horse racing
  • edited September 2017
    Rizzo said:

Dealt with hundreds of claims from travellers stranded by the volcanic ash cloud over Europe a few years back. Pretty much every airline complied with the EU regulations over delayed and cancelled flights. O'Leary told everyone to go fuck themselves as they only paid x quid for their flights so why the hell should Ryanair have to pay more than that to sort out anything that goes wrong? Utter cnt.

i agree with him why should he , he never set the volcano off
  • edited September 2017
    Rizzo said:

Dealt with hundreds of claims from travellers stranded by the volcanic ash cloud over Europe a few years back. Pretty much every airline complied with the EU regulations over delayed and cancelled flights. O'Leary told everyone to go fuck themselves as they only paid x quid for their flights so why the hell should Ryanair have to pay more than that to sort out anything that goes wrong? Utter cnt.

Come on, don't sit on the fence. Say what you really think of the man!
  • Sponsored links:

• he will sell loads of flights for between £5 and £20 next year to get the customers back
  • edited September 2017
    you just dont like him, if it was your money youd say fck that aswell
  • Off to Ireland tomorrow with Ryanair. Luckily for me no flights to or from Kerry cancelled.
  • This is nothing to do with over booked holiday, they have had loads of pilots leave to go to a norwegian airline. I could see this finishing the airline if the keep lieing and cancelling more flights
  • With Charlton's game cancelled , I hope the club will be sending me compensation for having to find something else to do next Saturday at such short notice.

Or maybe I should be sending them some money for giving me an afternoon off?
  • you just dont like him, if it was your money youd say fuck that aswell

I'm not sure that's how most people run their businesses, if he didn't like the laws surrounded air travel, he could have started a different business. It's like RyanAir wouldn't have been insured against those comp. claims, if they weren't, he's not just a c***, he's a stupid c***.
    Ryanair are insured. But O'Leary is seeking to avoid the Insurer paying out mass claims because, on renewal, Ryanair's premiums would be significantly higher.

• Sponsored links:

I'm not sure that's how most people run their businesses, if he didn't like the laws surrounded air travel, he could have started a different business. It's like RyanAir wouldn't have been insured against those comp. claims, if they weren't, he's not just a c***, he's a stupid c***.
    Ryanair are insured. But O'Leary is seeking to avoid the Insurer paying out mass claims because, on renewal, Ryanair's premiums would be significantly higher.

I bet the money he paid out to lawyers to unsuccessfully defend that shady business practice is a damn sight more than the extra premium he would have been charged for paying the claims.

Not a chance he's gonna get away with it, as someone above said, I hope they throw the book at them.
  • The Uber of the airways.
  • What has the EU ever done for us eh...
  • The Uber of the airways.

indeed - where, allegedly, staff have to buy their own uniforms and can be sacked for gross misconduct for charging their phone!
  • Well, i used to use Ryaniair to and from Lux, but i,ve moved to Easyjet because of all this - luckily i had a choice.
  • se9addick said:

My flight to Rome next month was one of those cancelled - fortunately I was able to choose another flight the day before. Also, the 4 of us got £80 flight vouchers each. Which ties in nicely for return flights to Madrid in February.

Utter shambles though.

How did you get the vouchers @ricky_otto ?

Had a flight to Glasgow cancelled, got the refund but didn't see a voucher mentioned.
    they probably thought they were doing you a favour
  • iainment said:

Off to Ireland tomorrow with Ryanair. Luckily for me no flights to or from Kerry cancelled.

What about the cats? ffs
  • I'm not totally up to speed with all this & haven't flown for almost 10 years, bur what I've seen on TV over the last few days is that its the CAA that are throwing the book at him. Not sure what the EU has to do with T&C's (unlike the volcano issue) but I wouldn't be surprised if the CAA have more power than the EU or any other body in this case.

I wouldn't also be surprised if this broke the company - Ratners went bust because the boss said that the cheap earing's they were selling (at around £5) weren't worth it & wouldn't last as long as a prawn sandwich you could buy for the same price. The public don't forget.

As for cheap flights - have a gander at the Fascinating Aida sketch. Tells you all you want to know.
  • edited September 2017

I'm not totally up to speed with all this & haven't flown for almost 10 years, bur what I've seen on TV over the last few days is that its the CAA that are throwing the book at him. Not sure what the EU has to do with T&C's (unlike the volcano issue) but I wouldn't be surprised if the CAA have more power than the EU or any other body in this case.

I wouldn't also be surprised if this broke the company - Ratners went bust because the boss said that the cheap earing's they were selling (at around £5) weren't worth it & wouldn't last as long as a prawn sandwich you could buy for the same price. The public don't forget.

As for cheap flights - have a gander at the Fascinating Aida sketch. Tells you all you want to know.

I dunno, you only have to look at the VW scandal, and look, years later they are back thriving, Toyota too - people have short memories if it chooses them.