Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v AFC Wimbledon post-match views 28/10/17

Comments

• First half was terrible. Second half was slightly better.

However, another win and another clean sheet.

Up the football league we go
  • Ground out a result against a very physical side, a great 3 points .
    Not an overly creative or pacey game from us at all today but our boys have been working hard and putting in a shift recently.
    A few looked tired but well done the whole team and its good to have a strong bench at last when we need it.
    I liked the look of Marshal when he came on especially.
  • We had to work hard to find a way of winning and we did. A Kashi masterclass though his boking was probably the most cynical thing I've seen by a Charlton player since Danny Mills got himself sent off. All in a good cause this time though..

• The BBC stats say we had just 6 shots all game, of which only 1 was on target;
    presumably we scored from that.

It sounds like we created very little?

• Oggy Red said:

The BBC stats say we had just 6 shots all game, of which only 1 was on target;
    presumably we scored from that.

It sounds like we created very little?

Fosu and Magennis had certain goals blocked near the line, but yeah this was a grim old battle
  • JaShea99 said:

Nice that we've got a few clean sheets on the board now. Defence is starting to look as good as it does on paper.

That would be the big sam masterclass
  • JaShea99 said:

Nice that we've got a few clean sheets on the board now. Defence is starting to look as good as it does on paper.

That would be the big sam masterclass
    Is he actually doing a stint with us or was that a load of ‘ol bollox?
  • edited October 2017
    First half was turgid and we were crap. One paced and created absolutely nothing. Appeared to have no idea how to break down a team who showed little interest in winning the game.

Second half was a bit better but not helped by constant spoiling tactics from Wimbledon. They don’t conceed many goals so suspected it was always going to be tight affair. Personally would have made changes earlier. Marshall looked sharp when he came on and would hope to see him and Reeves on Tuesday.

Plus points Konsa, Bauer and Kashi

Fosu was way off it today and nothing worked for Clarke either. JFC is starting to annoy me as well. He needs to influence the game more. It seems to just pass him by. Increasingly concerned that we never rotate Magennis either, he is going to burn out. Best has to be worth a deal till January as clearly Dodoo is making up numbers.
  • Good win, keep it up lads.
  • Sponsored links:

• After watching him a few times recently, think that Clarke way well slip down the pecking order now that Marshall is available.
  • Have we ever been top of the form table under the Belgians? I doubt it. Wimbledon nearly did a number on us but we found a way to win. Didn't quite get some of KR's subs and tactics today, thought Fosu had a poor game and Clarke was unlucky to be subbed I thought. Don't get putting Clarke on the right either. Made us look unbalanced first half and our best period of play was when Clarke was put back in the middle and Fosu moved right.

Great to have some quality subs to bring on to see the game out. Just need a striker to replace Dodoo and the bench will look as strong as any other in this division.
  • Excellent result, grinding out one nils is how you go up
  • Best taken penalty I've seen in ages.
    Good to see Wimbledon are continuing their long tradition of ugly football.
    We need to be able to switch our game to having two strikers up front when playing this sort of team.
  • The (metaphysical) cat has avoided a good kicking unlike last year's AFC Wimbledon game.
    I am now going to mellow starting with a good bottle of German Riesling ( not the horrible Blue Nun stuff)
  • SDAddick said:

Stig said:

Top of the form table!

Screenshot 2017-10-28 17.22.30

That's encouraging, especially as we haven't played particularly well for the majority of those games
    Perhaps the best attacking performance in that was Oxford away 1-1.

Sorry just realized that includes Fleetwood I believe, so second best attacking performance.
    That first draw came against Bury didnt it...?

Other than a sloppy 30mins against them we absolutely bossed that game and it was only Murphy the 'keeper that stopped us winning about 3-1
  • sm said:

Best taken penalty I've seen in ages.
    Good to see Wimbledon are continuing their long tradition of ugly football.
    We need to be able to switch our game to having two strikers up front when playing this sort of team.

Is that sarcasm due to the fact we should have had a penalty with the foul potentially being in the area?

I did wonder when our player went down if the foul was inside or outside the box
  • Great result given the top 2 both dropped points, and we're opening up a bit of a gap to 7th now as well. Play offs minimum for us this season
  • Sponsored links:

• What was attendance today?
  • RedChaser said:

What was attendance today?

Think I heard somewhere it was a little over 10,000
  • edited October 2017

RedChaser said:

Think I heard somewhere it was a little over 10,000
    Cheers, must have have been at least 1500 away fans I assume.
  • Great result in the end. We would have lost this last season. I have seen Charlton promotion sides over the years and all of them had the ability to grind out wins when up against teams of spoilers. In league 1 it's not how you win, it's whether you win. As the weeks go by this squad is looking more and more like they can get one of the automatic spots.

A lot of teams will come to The Valley and try to stop us playing. Away from home we have more freedom, hence why we have an excellent away record so far.
  • RedChaser said:

12575 according to the BBC
  • RedChaser said:

12,575 per BBC. Certainly looked quite a few more than recent home games.
  • One piece of class was all that separated us from Wimbledon. How can Holmes be so precise with his shooting and so wayward with his crossing?

Marshall looked keen and played well.

Defence looked very solid.

Boring game on the whole but the result makes up for it.