Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD announces plan for tribute to Valley campaigners at 25th anniversary match

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) is to distribute thousands of red-and-white rosettes to fans attending Charlton’s home fixture against Portsmouth on December 9th, which marks the 25th anniversary of the club’s return to The Valley.

The rosettes are to celebrate the part played by fans in the re-opening of the SE7 stadium, and particularly the role of the Valley Party, whose 60 candidates amassed nearly 15,000 votes in the 1990 local elections, changing Greenwich Council policy in the process.

The club’s then directors wore red and white rosettes when the first match back, also against Portsmouth, took place on December 5th, 1992. Charlton had played at Crystal Palace’s Selhurst Park and West Ham United’s Upton Park since 1985.

A CARD spokesperson said: “Charlton fans are rightly proud of everything they did to overturn the decision of the club’s then owner to move the club to Selhurst Park in 1985.

“It’s no surprise that the present regime has been reluctant to acknowledge the fans’ contribution, given the parallel with the current situation where the vast majority of fans are once more opposed to the owner and want him out.

“No one involved in the Valley campaign was invited on to the organising committee set up many months ago to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the return.

“The club failed to mention the 25th anniversary of the Valley Party election at the time, despite being reminded, and chief executive Katrien Meire even tried to stop it being marked with a short speech at the 2015 player of the year, an event organised by supporters and held on the exact date.

The spokesperson continued: “We know that the Fans’ Forum has had an opportunity to make its own representations over the December 9th celebrations this week – just 12 days before the game - and, very belatedly, we understand that the club is showing signs of a more collaborative approach, which we welcome.

“However, the Valley Party was not a club initiative, so it is not appropriate that it should be left to the club to decide how or whether it should be celebrated, least of all when the chief executive is on record as saying that she didn’t care about the club’s history.

“By wearing red-and-white rosettes on December 9th, Charlton fans can make sure that supporters take their proper place at the heart of the celebrations – a visible tribute to the Valley Party campaigners, the volunteers who worked on the ground to get it ready in time, those who paid into the Valley Investment Plan to help fund it, and, of course, the 1992 directors.

“At the same time, rosettes are a traditional symbol of support for a football team, as well as a feature of elections, so we believe this is a positive initiative and that they will add to the occasion for everyone - hopefully with the same outcome on the pitch as 25 years ago.”

Comments

• Great idea!
  • Excellent news
  • Sponsored links:

• Are the rosettes available for "overseas" ifollow viewers for a donation?
  • CARD's back!!

Glad to hear it, classy idea as always.
  • T_C_E said:

Are the rosettes available for "overseas" ifollow viewers for a donation?

I’ll shove two in my back pocket for you.

• Any chance of a few rosettes being posted up north to us Manchester Addicks?
  • For your hard work? Go on then.
  • Stig said:

Redrobo said:

Hi Stig, I am sorry you and others are not going as for me this is a celebration of fan power and I like the fact that KM is being forced to acknowledge our history and the part so many played in making our club so special.

A full stadium would reinforce that IMO and also show any potential purchasers what could be.

I understand why you and others begrudge him every last penny but don't think one better day is going to make any difference, other than hopefully sticking in his throat as to what he has missed out on.

I was really hoping he would be gone before this game. Hopefully not long now.

I hear what you say Redrobo, but I've thought all along that the best way to force Duchatelet's hand was to completely boycott. I recognise that others don't believe this, or are not prepared to make such a leap. But for me, when I said I wouldn't allow him to get his hands on any more of my money I really meant it. I will not pay to enter The Valley all the time that he is the owner. I hope that those that do have a great time, but I'm afraid it's not for me any more. He has to go before I will return.
    Agree totally with this.

People will point to the situation at Blackpool and say that the Oystons are still there whilst Blackpool fans in the ground being down to 2,500

Up there I think it is on another level and has been personal for a number of years.

Duchatelet lives abroad and is detached from things and from afar I think it would be easier for him to call it a day if we ever got to gates of under 3,000
  • I’ve only been to the PC Palmer tribute match in 2 years at The Valley but I’ll be attending next week. Can fully understand those not breaking their boycott though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Redrobo said:

Hi Stig, I am sorry you and others are not going as for me this is a celebration of fan power and I like the fact that KM is being forced to acknowledge our history and the part so many played in making our club so special.

A full stadium would reinforce that IMO and also show any potential purchasers what could be.

I understand why you and others begrudge him every last penny but don't think one better day is going to make any difference, other than hopefully sticking in his throat as to what he has missed out on.

I was really hoping he would be gone before this game. Hopefully not long now.

I hear what you say Redrobo, but I've thought all along that the best way to force Duchatelet's hand was to completely boycott. I recognise that others don't believe this, or are not prepared to make such a leap. But for me, when I said I wouldn't allow him to get his hands on any more of my money I really meant it. I will not pay to enter The Valley all the time that he is the owner. I hope that those that do have a great time, but I'm afraid it's not for me any more. He has to go before I will return.

Word for word what I would have posted.
  • Well if this doesn't make him sell I don't know what will.
  • Addickted said:

Thanks CARD.

Despite feeling similarly to both #stig and #superclive98, I have struggled with my decision to avoid this game, but now my mind is clear.

By avoiding the Valley for the past 18 months (with a couple of exceptions) I now need to return to celebrate the 25th anniversary of one of the greatest days of my life and experience it with my son, who missed out on the BTTV game because his chicken pox stopped him attending.

This kind of visible protest gives me the opportunity to celebrate yet make it clear to the owners, that no matter what they do, we are still here and still waiting to return to support our Club,

They are nothing but a blip in our history compared to the traumas of Selhurst and Sue Parks.

• the pins will come in handy if you have a pissed up Pompey fan nearby

In the current climate, you'd better get consent before putting a little prick in their bum
  • Welcome back CARD, especially with such a good idea. Thanks, as ever.
  • This is really lovely, well done CARD.

Not only is it a nice way to remember the Valley Party but a way to make the discontent felt without any disruptions to the commemoration.

Thanks to all involved.
  • edited December 2017

FAN BLOODYTASTIC !

As always, CARD gets to the heart of the issue , with style, integrity & with those that really matter at the forefront of their plans.....

....the fans.

Something, despite all the recent lukewarm gestures emanating from the SMT, the Belgians will NEVER understand or even acknowledge.

Wear your rosette with pride next Saturday.

I shall.

Fanny, me and my boys will absolutely wear the rosette with immense pride. We are coming down for this one :)

P.S. Fantastic initiative by CARD.