Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January transfer window

Couldn't see another thread.

Van Dijk set to sign for Liverpool for £75m. Decent player, but the most expensive defender ever?

Good deal for Saints if they buy a replacement and a good striker.

Comments

• Couldn't see another thread.

Van Dijk set to sign for Liverpool for £75m. Decent player, but the most expensive defender ever?

Crazy money. I know Liverpool need a decent defender, but I'm sure there are better ones around & for half that figure.

Interesting that it looks at if its all done & will go through early next week. Just wonder when ours will be announced, seeing as Robbo said at the Bromley meeting back in November (and re-iterated a few weeks ago) that they've been talking to agents & clubs already.

My betting is at least after the Oldham game on the 6th, and probably a week after that at best.
  • Couldn't see another thread.

Crazy money. I know Liverpool need a decent defender, but I'm sure there are better ones around & for half that figure.

Interesting that it looks at if its all done & will go through early next week. Just wonder when ours will be announced, seeing as Robbo said at the Bromley meeting back in November (and re-iterated a few weeks ago) that they've been talking to agents & clubs already.

My betting is at least after the Oldham game on the 6th, and probably a week after that at best.
    Not like you to be optimistic!

I think we'll have talked to people and 'not quite got the deals over the line'.
  • Ridiculous sum of money really, I wonder what Soton will do with the money? A decent goalscorer would be top of the list of requirements I imagine
  • Celtic will get 10% of the sell on fee.
  • Macronate said:

Celtic will get 10% of the sell on fee.

As if they'll need it. If reports are to believed Brighton are looking to buy Mousa Dembelle from them. £18m was mentioned but yesterday a reporter said that nothing had yet been agreed but £25m may tempt them.

They bought him from Fulham in 2016 for....................£500k.
  • Macronate said:

To add to the money they'll get from Dembele...
  • And Celtic fans still have the cheek to moan about not having the financial means to compete against the likes of PSG in the Champions League!!
  • Macronate said:

As if they'll need it. If reports are to believed Brighton are looking to buy Mousa Dembelle from them. £18m was mentioned but yesterday a reporter said that nothing had yet been agreed but £25m may tempt them.

They bought him from Fulham in 2016 for....................£500k.
    Shows how much his stock has fallen tho,
    Wasnt that long ago, Arsenal and Chelsea were both linked with him
  • Sponsored links:

• Van Dijk Parks Up At Anfield
  • edited December 2017
    Should have signed Koulibaly from Napoli. He’s a much better defender and I’m sure if the money was right he’d have moved.
  • Liverpool need to sort out their goalkeeper situation more urgently.

Think they've panic bid £75m because Man City starting sniffing around Van Dijk

Spot on!
  • still amazes me why Klopp isn't playing Gomez at centre half. Could save himself 75m by doing so.
  • still amazes me why Klopp isn't playing Gomez at centre half. Could save himself 75m by doing so.

Clyne is injured, only other right back is eighteen year old Trent Alexander Arnold. Would be risky playing two teenages in a back four.
  • Charlton’s move for Eoin Doyle could be in doubt – after Oldham manager Richie Wellens claiming an illness is affecting the on-loan Preston striker.

The South London Press had been told that the Irish frontman was a top target for Addicks boss Karl Robinson, who is believed to be keen on a temporary deal until the end of the season.

But reports have now claimed that Doyle may have a blood clot which could leave him sidelined for an extended period. His current loan deal with Oldham runs out after Saturday’s match against Bristol Rovers.

“He’s potentially played his last game because his loan runs out on January 1, but first and foremost it’s about getting him healthy and feeling right,” said Wellens.

“When you’re missing someone like him who’s scored so many goals, it’s detrimental to the team. He’s a goal threat, and when he gets a chance his finishing is first class, but we have still got other players who can perform.”

Doyle has scored 14 goals in 21 appearances for Oldham this season but has not featured since December 16.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/transfer-update-charlton-athletic-striker-move-in-doubt/
  • Charlton’s move for Eoin Doyle could be in doubt – after Oldham manager Richie Wellens claiming an illness is affecting the on-loan Preston striker.

The South London Press had been told that the Irish frontman was a top target for Addicks boss Karl Robinson, who is believed to be keen on a temporary deal until the end of the season.

But reports have now claimed that Doyle may have a blood clot which could leave him sidelined for an extended period. His current loan deal with Oldham runs out after Saturday’s match against Bristol Rovers.

“He’s potentially played his last game because his loan runs out on January 1, but first and foremost it’s about getting him healthy and feeling right,” said Wellens.

“When you’re missing someone like him who’s scored so many goals, it’s detrimental to the team. He’s a goal threat, and when he gets a chance his finishing is first class, but we have still got other players who can perform.”

Doyle has scored 14 goals in 21 appearances for Oldham this season but has not featured since December 16.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/transfer-update-charlton-athletic-striker-move-in-doubt/

He should fit right in with our squad, probably be out for a few weeks or months
  • Liverpool need to sort out their goalkeeper situation more urgently.

I think it's both. I still think Karius could be a decent goalkeeper. But when you look at their center halves, they're awful for a team chasing Champions League places.

That said, I think there is a bigger, more systemic problem there with Klopp and his ability to organize a defense. If you look at his last season at Dortmund it was a huge problem. I don't know that Van Dijk of a new keeper is going to make a hue impact.

Charltonised before he even signes.

Impressive

29, scored pretty consistently in the lower leagues. Think a loan for him until the end of the season would look a brilliant bit of business as he's the type of player who could provide goals to get us out of this league, but I don't know that he'd be able to make the step up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can see this happening. With a takeover happening RD isn't going to (or maybe wont be allowed to) spend any money & also any new owner would want their new man to be in charge of any new signings. Bring back Vetokele & any other deals will be loans (as in the Doyle rumours). No money spent & a new push next season.
  • That would be a real coup. But I really can't see it happening. He's playing regularly for a side chasing the European places in the top flighto his home country, for him to come back here to play in the third tier would be...strange. If we were in the Championship maybe, but why leave your home to take a step down in terms of playing?
  • SDAddick said:

That would be a real coup. But I really can't see it happening. He's playing regularly for a side chasing the European places in the top flighto his home country, for him to come back here to play in the third tier would be...strange. If we were in the Championship maybe, but why leave your home to take a step down in terms of playing?
    Guess cos ultimately we still hold his Contract for another year so can either like it or lump it
  • SDAddick said:

That would be a real coup. But I really can't see it happening. He's playing regularly for a side chasing the European places in the top flighto his home country, for him to come back here to play in the third tier would be...strange. If we were in the Championship maybe, but why leave your home to take a step down in terms of playing?
    Guess cos ultimately we still hold his Contract for another year so can either like it or lump it
    like we did with Novak then ????
  • SDAddick said:

like we did with Novak then ????
    Different owners / different approach maybe
  • edited December 2017
    SDAddick said:

According to transfer market he has only played 12 games this season (although I'll admit I'm not sure what % of St Truiden's total games that would be), scoring 4 goals. Not exactly tearing the place up.

The Igor we first saw could probably play in KR's system and would score plenty, but is he ever going to be that player again, and is he any less injury prone than anyone else at the club right now?
  • SDAddick said:

Liverpool need to sort out their goalkeeper situation more urgently.

I think it's both. I still think Karius could be a decent goalkeeper. But when you look at their center halves, they're awful for a team chasing Champions League places.

That said, I think there is a bigger, more systemic problem there with Klopp and his ability to organize a defense. If you look at his last season at Dortmund it was a huge problem. I don't know that Van Dijk of a new keeper is going to make a hue impact.
    couldn't disagree more, don't rate Karius in the slightest. I agree that Liverpool need a keeper urgently, although a CB like VVD should give Karius/Mignolet a bit more confidence.
  • edited December 2017
    Surprised liverpool dont try and get someone like Cillessen sits on the barca bench only plays cup games, sure a £20 million bid would get him and he is decent enough, better than what they got