Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Oldham | Sat 06 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Oldham Athletic
Saturday 6th January 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Lee Swabey (Devon)

Introduction

As we entered the New Year on Sunday evening there was hope within South East London that 2018 would bring better fortune on and off the pitch. In regards to the latter it appears as though we are slowly creeping towards change, yet on the pitch nothing appears to have changed. On New Years Day, the Addicks welcomed Gillingham up from Kent only for our dismal run to continue as our opponents returned to Medway with all three points in what was their first ever win at the Valley.

The Opposition
Name: Oldham Athletic | Manager: Richie Wellens
Ground: Boundary Park

This Saturday is a quick chance for the Addicks to try and piece together any kind of victory… Our opponents: Oldham Athletic will be making the trip down from Lancashire as a side that are completely unrecognisable from the start of the season… If there is to be a League One Manager of the Year then the obvious Candidate has to be Paul Hurst (of Shrewsbury Town) yet Oldham’s; Richie Wellens has to be a contender and certainly has a good future in Management, should teams give him an opportunity.

The Latics season began dismally with five defeats on the trot… the last of those coming at the hands of Charlton in what was a 4-3 thriller – The signs were there that day, showing that Oldham could revive their poor start and when Wellens replaced John Sheridan (initially as Caretaker Manager) the results were an instant improvement… Three wins on the trot were secured and having lost only twice since taking charge, Oldham have become a side that should easily survive this season, despite only being one place and one point above the drop zone.

Charlton Team News
With the January Transfer Window now open it’s an opportunity for teams to take stock of their squad issues and bring in any necessary reinforcements… Prior to the opening of the window; Robinson confirmed that there were roughly ten players he wanted to bring in… Yet in the last 24-hours has confirmed that with prospective takeovers happening, there are now no further funds for players and that we’ll have to make do until new owners come into the club, which will hopefully be prior to February!!

Of course there has been one deal completed… Stephy Mavididi returns on loan from Arsenal for the remainder of the season – A target in the summer; Arsenal preferred to send their young Striker to a Championship side… that didn’t work out and having been recalled early, the England Youth International has returned to South East London where he made an impressive impact (prior to injury) this time last year.

In addition to Mavididi, it appears as though Patrick Bauer has also returned to training so should surely be expected to start alongside Naby Sarr in the heart of Defence this weekend.

Amos
Konsa | Bauer | Sarr | DaSilva
Kashi | Aribo
Mavididi | Holmes | Marshall
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Lennon | Jackson | Lapslie | Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Charlton are really slipping back into the fight for mid-table and fast… Oldham will prove to be an extremely stern test tomorrow with three points certainly not guaranteed – Despite having won just twice on the road, the Latics will be eager to put distance between themselves and AFC Wimbledon and can see nothing better than a draw for Karl Robinson and his side.

Comments

• Please no Magennis
  • After last weeks dismal showing i think the players know they owe the fans one. A better performance all round. 2-0. COYR.
  • I think Mavididi will be on the bench.
  • I think we might see some goals tomorrow, and am going for 5-1 to the Addicks! Sorry, just woke up, it was a dream! Oldham have never won in SE7 so make that the second team in a week to do so for the first time! Seven of the last ten games against them at The Valley have been draws...
  • It will be the same old same old.

Oldham will come and park the bus and try and catch us on the break, freak goal from a corner/on on break.

If we get the Charlton from the start of the season that can put away the chances we will win 3-1.

If its current Charlton 1-1 or 0-1.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start putting away those chances!
  • I can't see where the next win is coming from. 1-0 to Oldham.
  • Some of the worst matches I have seen at the Valley have featured Oldham Athletic.

Which.of our non scoring strikers willl fail to score this week ?

O.1
  • I hope that Robbo realises the harsh reality that we aren’t that good at this level without key players or with key players out of form due to fatigue, and converts to a more cautious formation to stop teams like oldham nicking a goal then parking the bus, because it’s clear that if they do the atmosphere will turn toxic and the players will run out of ideas etc.

I’m praying our season doesn’t end up like last season and we fizzle out into 14th, but seen it too many times.

Charlton 0-1 Oldham
    7th minute goal, 1 maybe 2 shots on target from us.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    I think you're right we'll line up something like this.... I think Karl could rest Mag for Mav though?

Amos
    Kashi | Aribo
    Marshall | Reeves | Holmes
    Mavididi

Substitutes Bench
    Phillips | Dijksteel | Lennon | Jackson | Lapslie | Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Though I'd go with two quick, strong lads up top:

Amos
    Barnes | Konsa | Sarr | DaSilva
    Marshall | Kashi | Aribo | Holmes
    Ahearne-Grant | Mavididi

Bench
    Phillips, Dijksteel, Jackson, Bauer, Lapslie, Magennis, Hacket-Fairchild

Depending how the games going around 60-70 minutes I'd swap out KAG and Mav for Mag and RHF. Which allows one sub earlier in the game if needed.

Yes I know people are saying Barnes isn't good enough, but I'd much prefer a RB at RB and a CB without injury at CB.

Barnes is also quick enough to track back so we'll have the quick ones at LB & RB.
  • Lets rest Magennis. 442 second half suited so many of our players against Gillingham. Marshall and Holmes both looked better, and Kashi and Aribo had more joy in the centre. The latter of these and Karlan HAVE to start. Based on this I'd go with:

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    Marshall Kashi Aribo Holmes
    AHG Mavididi

I like the team and would also consider Dykstèel at RB and Konsa to replace Kashi in MF as he looks of the pace since coming back.
  • Redrobo said:

Lets rest Magennis. 442 second half suited so many of our players against Gillingham. Marshall and Holmes both looked better, and Kashi and Aribo had more joy in the centre. The latter of these and Karlan HAVE to start. Based on this I'd go with:

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    AHG Mavididi

I like the team and would also consider Dykstèel at RB and Konsa to replace Kashi in MF as he looks of the pace since coming back.
    Amos

Dijksteel, Konsa, Bauer, JDS

Marshall , Kashi, Aribo, Holmes

KAG, Mavididi

Subs: Phillips, Sarr, Lennon, Jacko, Magennis , Reeves, RHF
  • @dickplumb is Barnes or Dijksteel better at Rightback? I ask you as you get to the under's games a bit.
    :cookie:
    Plus
    Here's a cookie just because apparently we need that as a CL emoji. (Could it be symbolising that our plight as Charlton Fans is just how the cookie crumbles?)
  • I think we will win this one 2-0 and a tiny amount of optimism will creep back in
  • edited January 2018
    Magennis has earned a rest.
    And I thought JJ had actually earned another start, whereas Kashi has looked jaded.
    Sarr either look too good or not good enough. Best left foot in the side though. If Bauer is fit then I'd still play Naby as looks better at left CB.
    I'm with James King. KAG and Mavididi up front. At least Oldham won't know what to expect. Goals are the thing, and this would be a good opportunity for Mavididi in particular to get on the scoresheet.

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    Marshall JJ Aribo Holmes
    KAG Mavididi

I suspect Karl scoffs at 442, but at home against Oldham??

And yet again I'll be heading to The Valley, hopes up, only to hear the announcer bellow 'Big Josh Magenniiiiiiiiiiiiis' as I take my seat. Drives me nuts.

3-2
  • wmcf123 said:

Redrobo said:

Lets rest Magennis. 442 second half suited so many of our players against Gillingham. Marshall and Holmes both looked better, and Kashi and Aribo had more joy in the centre. The latter of these and Karlan HAVE to start. Based on this I'd go with:

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    AHG Mavididi

Amos

KAG, Mavididi

Last week the centre of defence looked unbalanced with Sarr playing on the rightto accommodate Lennon. It is why I would pair Bauer and Sarr if both fit.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • edited January 2018

Amos
    Kashi | Aribo
    Marshall | Mavididi | Holmes
    KAG

This is what i wouldn't mind seeing.
    You want a 4-2-3-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Like an idiot I’ve decided to go tomorrow.
    If we lose this then it’s curtains for KR I fear.
    I’m predicting a rout. 5-2
  • Club in turmoil, manager doesn't know whether he is coming or going, literally, and players underperforming. Can't see a win but a draw maybe.
  • Redrobo said:

wmcf123 said:

Redrobo said:

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    AHG Mavididi

Amos

KAG, Mavididi

Last week the centre of defence looked unbalanced with Sarr playing on the rightto accommodate Lennon. It is why I would pair Bauer and Sarr if both fit.
    We had years with two right footers playing in central defence
  • An absolute "joy fest" of football and community cohesion, goals and laughs abound with raucous abandonment as the "feel good" factor permeates the local area... Just not in SE9.

1-1
  • wmcf123 said:

Redrobo said:

wmcf123 said:

Redrobo said:

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    AHG Mavididi

Amos

KAG, Mavididi

But they were better players. We've got league 1 players now, playing them out of position is too much for their little heads to handle.
  • Charlton 0-7 Oldham
  • edited January 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Kashi | Aribo
    Marshall | Mavididi | Holmes
    KAG

This is what i wouldn't mind seeing.
    You want a 4-2-3-1
    I think the system can work but certain players cant adapt, Magennis seems to be struggling on his own and is 100% out of form.

As that formation stands, The wingers are natural wingers and could drop back to more of a 4-4-1-1. Would it make slightly more solid and with a player of Mavididi's technical ability, he could cause a nightmare for there CB's leaving space for KAG to run into! All he needs to do is stick it in the onion bag...easier said than done i know! haha

Oh also Reeves isnt doing it either so the 2 replacements could make the difference.
  • Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

Redrobo said:

wmcf123 said:

Redrobo said:

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    AHG Mavididi

Amos

KAG, Mavididi

But they were better players. We've got league 1 players now, playing them out of position is too much for their little heads to handle.
    In other words, they are dire. Bauer and Konsa or ideally Pearce are our best combinations, IMO
  • Oldham have pick up 2 points from their last 15 so..............................away win for Oldham.
  • How about Amos

Mag / Bauer / Sarr

Kashi / Konsa

Marshall / Aribo / Holmes

KAG / DaSilva

Wellens baffled, never played against a 3232 formation.
    Big Josh puts in a Sol Campbell-type performance and finally enjoys his football.
    DaSilva, unplayable, MOM with a brace.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!