Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Confirmed: Nicky Ajose Signs 3 Year Deal

14567810»

Comments

• Think it's disingenuous to always blame the manager when a player plays below their best or has attitude issues - look at someone like Watt where no manager at any club ever managed to get him consistently playing as well as he could for long.
    That said, if we want a strong run to cement a play off position then Ajose hitting a run of form and goals certainly wouldn't go amiss!
  • The second goal he got against Port Vale in a 2-0 win at the Valley was proof of what he could do

The pass from Morgan Fox to set him clear along with the finish was excellent
  • Ajose spent 10 years at Man Utd and whilst he didn't make a first team appearance you don't get to do that unless you have something about you.

When on loan from Man Utd, as a 19 year old, he scored 13 times in 22 starts for Bury in League 2. In two spells at Swindon he netted 30 times in 50 starts in this division.

So, given the right supply and the confidence of a manager that believes in him, he can and has done it at this level. In fact, I don't see why he couldn't have been our Bradley Wright-Phillips this season who, by coincidence had a similar start in career by being at Man City 'til he was virtually 23 but only actually started one League game for them.
  • His running off the ball yesterday created so much space pulling their defenders with him, intelligent and selfless footballer. He was ruined by the fat bluffer and his stubbornness for 4231.

Tbf to KR, Ajose didn't even try when Slade was manager.

Ajose and all the squad want to play for Bowyer. It's a remarkable transformation.
    He was close to being our top scorer during those games he played when he wasn't trying, one of those goals being a peach against the Scum. I'll admit, though, it looked like sometimes he scored by accident (Walsall away, anyone?).
    But scoring by accident is a true mark of a natural goal scorer, right place at the right time and all that!
  • thenewbie said:

Think it's disingenuous to always blame the manager when a player plays below their best or has attitude issues .....

Although perhaps it was pretty disingenuous of Robinson to pick Ajose as a right winger - and then dump him completely after he had struggled in that position?

Most players would be pretty pissed off with that.

• Oggy Red said:

thenewbie said:

Think it's disingenuous to always blame the manager when a player plays below their best or has attitude issues .....

Although perhaps it was pretty disingenuous of Robinson to pick Ajose as a right winger - and then dump him completely after he had struggled in that position?

Most players would be pretty pissed off with that.

True. But Ajose is realistically a player that needs to be part of the right system to function effectively, if Bowyer or whoever is next manager decides one man up front is the best way for the team, Ajose won't be that one.
  • Numerous people on here, me included, have questioned his attitude and wanted to pack him off.

Is he playing for a move or have we found a system that can get the best out of him?

I can’t help but think we’ve questioned the attitudes of the wrong people over the past 2 seasons. I truly believe that the attitude we should have questioned is that of the current Oxford boss.

Let’s face it, as soon as he isn’t happy with someone they don’t get another chance. He was too stubborn to try 4-4-2 from the start at least once. A month or two ago he named 5 subs out of a possible 7... he could’ve filled the last 2 with deserving kids. And his petulance in front of the media before he left a sinking ship said a lot.

I think with Bow and Jacko you’ll get better man management.
    Ajose still had problems with Slade as well though.
    I'm trying to remember Slade's formation, it was a sort of 442, but Ajose was slightly withdrawn. And the central midfield lacked creativity. Neither Holmes not Lookman are conventional wingers, both were more likely to move into central positions and shoot than quickly get wide and drive the ball in which is what he thrives on. Jamie Vardy's goal for Leicester was a typical Ajose type goal I'd imagine.
  • Numerous people on here, me included, have questioned his attitude and wanted to pack him off.

Is he playing for a move or have we found a system that can get the best out of him?

I can’t help but think we’ve questioned the attitudes of the wrong people over the past 2 seasons. I truly believe that the attitude we should have questioned is that of the current Oxford boss.

Let’s face it, as soon as he isn’t happy with someone they don’t get another chance. He was too stubborn to try 4-4-2 from the start at least once. A month or two ago he named 5 subs out of a possible 7... he could’ve filled the last 2 with deserving kids. And his petulance in front of the media before he left a sinking ship said a lot.

I think with Bow and Jacko you’ll get better man management.
    Ajose still had problems with Slade as well though.
    I'm trying to remember Slade's formation, it was a sort of 442, but Ajose was slightly withdrawn. And the central midfield lacked creativity. Neither Holmes not Lookman are conventional wingers, both were more likely to move into central positions and shoot than quickly get wide and drive the ball in which is what he thrives on. Jamie Vardy's goal for Leicester was a typical Ajose type goal I'd imagine.
    He was played as a second striker a lot under Slade. We also had Foley and Crofts in central midfield at the beginning of the season....
  • Sponsored links:

• He worked bloody hard on Saturday and if he keeps that up he’ll get back on the goal trail again.
    He was gutted coming of against Rotherham! Bowyer gave him a big arm round the shoulder and had a good word with him!! Hope he gets a winner tomorrow!
  • Well now he’s got a chance to put his money where his mouth is with KAG and Taylor injured...
  • Scoham said:
    Oh Nicky...I’m desperate for you to do well just like most Charlton fans. But no you wouldn’t.
  • Scored against, Portsmouth last season; and again against Pompey last Tuesday.

Wants to play against Portsmouth every week.